Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #362 of 464
I have the DT1350 that I use primarily for portable use. They sound awesome and was wondering how the DT770 250 ohm sound in comparison.

DT770 bass isn't as tight and overabundant, and midrange/treble balance isn't as good as DT1350's.
On the other hand, DT770 is more resolving, transparent to the source, and has a bigger soundstage.  DT1350 may give an impression of "listening to music through a keyhole", as my friend put it, hahaha.

So they are very noticeably different.

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #363 of 464
DT770 bass isn't as tight and overabundant, and midrange/treble balance isn't as good as DT1350's.
On the other hand, DT770 is more resolving, transparent to the source, and has a bigger soundstage.  DT1350 may give an impression of "listening to music through a keyhole", as my friend put it, hahaha.

I get your friends "keyhole" description...LOL! Sounds as though you're saying the DT1350 is an overall better sounding headphone than the DT770, which comes as no surprise to me.

I just ordered the 770's on Amazon this morning and I also have the Sennheiser HD598 CS (closed back) coming. I'll compare both sets of closed cans and decide which one to keep. I also have the HD598SE (open back) which I like so it will be an interesting comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #364 of 464
Do post what you think of the closed-back 598 versus 1350 and DT770, if you don't mind.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #365 of 464
  Do post what you think of the closed-back 598 versus 1350 and DT770, if you don't mind.

Will do.  The 598CS are coming next Friday and the DT770's not until Dec 15th.  I always burn in my gear for a few days straight before I do any serious listening.  So shortly before Christmas I should be able to do these comparisons.  I have a Lake People G109S amp which has 2 headphone outputs, makes for convenient headphone comparisons.

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #366 of 464
Superb

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #367 of 464
I tried the Customcans damping mod yesterday. What a difference! The bass is now still deep, but also fast and controlled. The soundstage now opens up nicely, making this a good closed can for orchestral music. Getting that bass under control really opens up the midrange. The treble is still a bit harsh, though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #368 of 464
They sound very good out of the Audio-gd SA-31, so the G109S should also be a good match (they sound quite similar).

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #369 of 464
I'I use headphones DT770 Pro 250 ohm at work.  I generally have the opportunity to wear them 2-4 hours a day..for 1-2 hours at a stretch.

I love them.

- Wonderful comfort.  These clamp fairly strongly, but the clamp is located relatively far down my cheek/jawline - so i don't notice it

- Spacious, cushy pads.  Soft, cushy, larg-ish, deep-ish velour.  They never get too warm and they have plenty of room to accommodate by largish, somewhat-protruding ears.

- Rugged physical design/build - apart from the non-detachable cable.

- Reasonably-easy to drive.  I have a pretty-beefy laptop - and the onboard sound card can drive them perfectly-well - even at 250 ohms impedance.  They do benefit from amping,  though.

-  Excellent sound quality.  Yes, it's a V-shaped frequency response...and the midtones are definitely recessed.  But it's so smooth, I'm going to call it a U-shaped frequency response.  The bass on these extends beautifully, but it's not overhyped and there's no real mid-bass bump that intrudes on the mids.  There  seem  to be  lots  of complains about the treble on Beyerdynamic headphones.  I find it lively and detailed - but not at all harsh.  They are slightly-bright - but not as much as, say, the t50rp mk3 headphones that I've also tried.  Speed/pacing of the drivers is quite fast - significantly more so than you'd find on, say, the Shure SRH840.

Overall, I tend to like neutral or even n-shaped (mid-centric) headphones for music listening - but I would find such headphones "too-engaging" for my work environment.

- Very spacious soundstage for a set of closed headphones.  Imaging & instrument separation is also quite good for a closed set of headphones.

- Medium level of sound isolation.  Just enough to prevent ambient/enviornmental noise from intruding - but not enough to prevent me from hearing a co-worker trying to get my attention.  Just perfect for the work environment, IMO.

Nov 28, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #370 of 464
I just bought a pair of the DT770 PRO 250ohms for 130€ on the thomann shop.

I must say i'm very happy with the sound of the DT770 straight out of box, it provides a lot more bass impact and presence than my AKG k701. As people often say, the DT suits very well with electronic style music like techno or house, it's also very comfy and the clamping force is moderate to me.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #371 of 464
I get your friends "keyhole" description...LOL! Sounds as though you're saying the DT1350 is an overall better sounding headphone than the DT770, which comes as no surprise to me.

I just ordered the 770's on Amazon this morning and I also have the Sennheiser HD598 CS (closed back) coming. I'll compare both sets of closed cans and decide which one to keep. I also have the HD598SE (open back) which I like so it will be an interesting comparison.

Thanks for the feedback.

Please check out the Sennheiser HD598CS CLOSED BACK thread (Post #118) for my impressions about the Beyerdynamics DT770 (250 ohm).

I also compared them to the Sennheiser HD598CS and Beyerdynamics DT1350.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #372 of 464
Thanks!

Yeah, what you observed with DT770 is that it tends to need more output power, especially the 250-ohm version.  HD598 and its brothers are far more efficient, no upgrade in amping necessary as you noticed.  Schiit probably has a decent budget amp that can show you what DT770 can really do, or a Matrix M-Stage is another good choice if you decide to try it out again later or one of the other 250-ohm Beyers.
Sennheisers tend to have a more relaxed and organic sound, with few exceptions.

You probably won't like the other closed-back headphones around as much as that 598CS, not even HD380.

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #373 of 464
Thanks!

Yeah, what you observed with DT770 is that it tends to need more output power, especially the 250-ohm version.  HD598 and its brothers are far more efficient, no upgrade in amping necessary as you noticed.  Schiit probably has a decent budget amp that can show you what DT770 can really do, or a Matrix M-Stage is another good choice if you decide to try it out again later or one of the other 250-ohm Beyers.
Sennheisers tend to have a more relaxed and organic sound, with few exceptions.

You probably won't like the other closed-back headphones around as much as that 598CS, not even HD380.

Looking at his profile, he seems to have some fine amps including the Jotunheim and the Lake People G109-S

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #374 of 464
Looking at his profile, he seems to have some fine amps including the Jotunheim and the Lake People G109-S

Yes both of these amps as well as my NAD integrated amp are able to drive all of my headphones effortlessly. I think I'm just so accustomed to an open-backed headphone sound that most closed headphones just don't measure up.

If I could find a reasonably priced over the ear equivalent to the DT1350 then I might be satisfied.

Dec 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #375 of 464

I generally don't pay attention to people's profiles.  Many of us don't list our equipment on it.  So I should have this time.
In my case, I don't list for a tiny reason having to do with the FS forum.  =p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back