Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #226 of 464
My DT770's are the 250ohm version and about 5 months old.

I think with the T1's its more about system synergy. Its widely reported the T1's have good synergy with tube base gear which is something I have also found to be true.

I have also found the T1 when poorly matched can sound rather underwhelming think cool, flat, lifeless and sibilant and have even  experienced some combinations where they have been only cringingly bearable for short periods a experience not to be repeated.

Get the pairing right and I can honestly say the T1's are just epic and totally worthy of flagship status.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #227 of 464
  I will concede that soundstaging is better with the T1's. But In everything else I prefer the 770's.

Yea, it is slightly better.  The size is probably a bit bigger overall, but not by much, I don't lose much air and feeling of open space when switching to DT770's, but T1's do have a slightly more precise soundstage and slightly better imaging. They project the sound slightly more in front of me, but it's not a big difference. For example, DT770's in my opinion have a better soundstage than my HD650's and even K701's, slightly smaller and narrower than 701's, but more realistic and precise. Instruments have their own space and echo around them on DT770's, just  like on T1's.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #228 of 464
  My DT770's are the 250ohm version and about 5 months old.

I think with the T1's its more about system synergy. Its widely reported the T1's have good synergy with tube base gear which is something I have also found to be true.

I have also found the T1 when poorly matched can sound rather underwhelming think cool, flat, lifeless and sibilant and have even  experienced some combinations where they have been only cringingly bearable for short periods a experience not to be repeated.

Get the pairing right and I can honestly say the T1's are just epic and totally worthy of flagship status.

Yea, it's true they're more picky than DT770's.  I heard them with a lot of amps, most under 1000€, stuff like Lehman BCL, Violectric V100, several Bursons which I didn't like at all, some DIY tube amps, and the one I liked the most was the one I have now, Musical Fidelity M1HPAP, because it sounded the least SS of them all, it has an organic and fluid tone to it that I like about MF gear. I want only SS amps due to practicality. It sounds slightly warm overall, it has epic bass, kind of like Violectric, but it also has a big soundstage. It's probably not the most neutral amp, it adds a certain "british" flavor to the sound, but it sounds very nice with T1's. I find it hard to imagine an aspect of sound I'd like to change about T1's when listening to them with this setup, they're just perfectly balanced and buttery smooth, but DT770's are very very close overall. But then again, there's stuff out there that's far more high end and would probably bring even more performance out of the T1's, whereas the DT770's are probably already hitting the limits of their potential right now.

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #229 of 464

Mine is about 3 years old.  250 version is 2 and a half months old, it's the newest version that comes in that new box style, with a pouch, etc. I don't have old ones to compare, but I know I was never as amazed by old 250's, but then again, I never heard them out of a setup  anywhere near the level of my current one.

Your old 80-ohm version may just need a recable and/or new earpads if you haven't replaced them in the past two years.  You shouldn't hear a lot of difference between the 80-ohm and 250-ohm, even if your 250-ohm is recent.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #230 of 464

Your old 80-ohm version may just need a recable and/or new earpads if you haven't replaced them in the past two years.  You shouldn't hear a lot of difference between the 80-ohm and 250-ohm, even if your 250-ohm is recent.

Ear pads are in very good condition, like new. And cable is like new as well. Neither of these things could ever possibly have an effect on the sound big enough to make such a difference.  250 ohm version simply has a much better quality driver.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #231 of 464

Ear pads are in very good condition, like new. And cable is like new as well. Neither of these things could ever possibly have an effect on the sound big enough to make such a difference.  250 ohm version simply has a much better quality driver.

The cable can be like-new on the outside, but the little enamel-coated copper strands on the side could be worn-out/broken to some degree.  I promise you that will affect sound very negatively, even throw off the drivers' impedance curve outright, too.  I've repaired many DT770s this past year and encountered all kinds of situations with them, even the old ones like this one are still pretty close to the current 250-ohm version in quality.
Edit: The only other cause could be driver damage due to DC voltage now that I think about it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #233 of 464
I did end up liking the new Pink Floyd album "Endless River" on these headphones..... But when I went back to '"Dark Side of the Moon" I thought the old recording was a bit better.   I'm speaking in terms of recording quality here.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #234 of 464
Q1. What do folks think of the treble SQ on the DT770 250 ohm?

e.g. Is it ever considered harsh, hard, edgy, peaky, bright, uncomfortable or painful assuming the SOURCE is smooth and free of grain?

Q2. How does the M version compare in sound quality to the 770 250?

Q3. Does the 770 250 ohm seem to suit a particular type of music?

Q4. Is the 770 250 ohm usually considered good by many at doing speech and acoustic music? Say quartets, baroque and blue grass?

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #235 of 464
I feel very comfortable with the 250 ohm sound. It is perhaps a bit sharper in the treble but nothing drastic and the bass is better balanced than the 80 ohm version imo. It's sharper sounding than the DT990, but nothing unpleasant.

Biggest weakness I'd say are the mids which a slightly down, but an excellent headphone really.

I'm not certain, but the 'm' version just clamps harder in order to make a stronger seal. I don't think there's much different about it in comparison to the others.

I listen to all kinds of music. Maybe the bass is a bit too strong for orchestral since double basses can be a bit thunderous. Strings are nicely etched out. Electronic is deep and powerful, as well as rock.

There is also a nice sense of 'space' in their sound. Very good for a closed headphone actually.

I don't like the curly cord and would have preferred a removable cable.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #236 of 464
I don't find the 770's as sharp as the 990's..... I find their treble very good and easy to make it just right to your liking. Just look toward the beginning of this thread. The 990's I had were so bright they were unbearable and sold them right away. But mine were the 990 premiums not the pro version maybe that's why Iancraig10 and I have different opinions on the matter.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #237 of 464
What are folks opinions of the treble on the DT770 250 ohm? Is it ever edgy or unruly/uncomfortable/painful assuming the source is smooth and not grainy?

How does the M version compare in sound quality?

Does the 770 250 ohm seem to suit particular music?

Are they good with speech and acoustic music?

Almost all Beyerdynamics are Grain free.
They don't use the regular garbage BoPET. There is no break-up, up top.

Fatigue depends from person to person, I don't mind a accentuated treble if its grain-free. Some people prefer the opposite.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #238 of 464
Q1. What do folks think of the treble SQ on the DT770 250 ohm?

e.g. Is it ever considered harsh, hard, edgy, peaky, bright, uncomfortable or painful assuming the SOURCE is smooth and free of grain?

Q2. How does the M version compare in sound quality to the 770 250?

Q3. Does the 770 250 ohm seem to suit a particular type of music?

Q4. Is the 770 250 ohm usually considered good by many at doing speech and acoustic music? Say quartets, baroque and blue grass?

1.  A little bright, yes. 

2. The M version is muffled and crippled in sound from what I've read others say around here.  It is meant for maximum isolation and makes a number of sacrifices to do so.

3.  It is okay as an all-rounder, you can enjoy lots of different types of music with it.

4.  Great, but the FR balance is not the best for speech/acoustic.  K545 is a little better there, and ATH-M50x with HD280 earpads or HM5 earpads instead of its original ones "takes the cake", so to speak.

I don't find the 770's as sharp as the 990's..... I find their treble very good and easy to make it just right to your liking. Just look toward the beginning of this thread. The 990's I had were so bright they were unbearable and sold them right away. But mine were the 990 premiums not the pro version maybe that's why Iancraig10 and I have different opinions on the matter.

I've heard the 990pro and 990-250 premium, they sound identical.  I, too, found them unbearable.  It wasn't the elevated treble that bothered me but the elevated upper mids at about ~5kHz that I found fatiguing (much stronger boost than the treble, which was around ~9kHz), and quite frankly, the midrange just sounded like utter s#$% to me due to that "extra mids" combined with the huge dip centered at ~700Hz.  Well, with DT770pro (80 or 250) or DT990 600ohm, there's no need to EQ those horrible boosts/cuts to get the midrange to sound great.
The difference is our ears, really - you and I probably have our ears' own resonances at about ~5kHz, exacerbating that area of any headphone's frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back