Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250Ω + Graham Slee Voyager
Feb 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JordanUK

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I have been looking at this set up for a while now after hearing rave reviews about both products, the amplifier and the headphones.
I enjoy listening to music through my laptop and also from my Cowon player and iPhone. I feel that upgrading my standard headphones to a set up like this will increase my enjoyment 10fold!

My question to you guys is: Is this a good match?

The headphones and the amplifier together, would they bond together nicely? I'm new to amplifiers with headphones so I don't really know about it, but just like I said I hear that the amp supposed to be very good!

I like my music bassy yet with good vocals, very clear but soft. The type of music I listen to varies through from Acoustic to rock to Trance, such as Oasis to The Raveonettes and Tiesto.

I'd of couse be playing the files through a lossless format such as aac or flac.

## quick edit!
I could also push the boat out and purchase a pair of Sennheiser HD650's as I hear they are supposed to be very good indeed, but as my sources would be lapop with amp and mp3 and iPod with amp, would it not be worth it?
Thanks in advance people! :)

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 7
I've tried this set up, and for me, no, if you want to hear clear vocal yet smooth, I think you have to look at other option.

this set up has a bit reccesed mid, and easy to produce sibilant, depend on your source though.

Just get the HD650, they have really good midrange, vocal is thick and so easy to enjoyed, though it require decent amp sure.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I've tried this set up, and for me, no, if you want to hear clear vocal yet smooth, I think you have to look at other option.

this set up has a bit reccesed mid, and easy to produce sibilant, depend on your source though.

Just get the HD650, they have really good midrange, vocal is thick and so easy to enjoyed, though it require decent amp sure.

Hey thanks for your reply. So you think this combination would produce too much of a bass thick system?
Again, the source is going to be laptop -> amp, or media player such as Cowon J3,S9 or iPhone, iPod -> amp then phones..

So you think, with that amplifier and the HD650's complimented it would make a good system.
You say that the Beyerdynamics and that amp would not go? Do you think you could expand on that a little bit please?

Thanks. Jordan

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 7
You could get the DT770/250 and get a Audio-CD C2-SA versions which will have a smoother and more fleshed out sound signature. Beyers seem to match up nicely with Audio-GD gear IMO.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Hey thanks for your reply. So you think this combination would produce too much of a bass thick system?
Again, the source is going to be laptop -> amp, or media player such as Cowon J3,S9 or iPhone, iPod -> amp then phones..

So you think, with that amplifier and the HD650's complimented it would make a good system.
You say that the Beyerdynamics and that amp would not go? Do you think you could expand on that a little bit please?

Thanks. Jordan

DT770/250 are at analytical side, so any flaws in recording are easy to pick. From what I learn in audio world, if you want to hear smooth yet transparent sound, there're two ways:
1. Put very, very good source
2. Get the more colored/forgiving cans

DT770/250 + Voyager produce really good sound for songs like orchestra or somewhat like that, but when we talk about vocality, it's just too easy to produce sibilant which is I hate so much. (note that my main songs are female voice + guitar)

And just like their brother DT880 and DT990, all of them seems have the same characteristic : the midrange is at recessed side.

Senn HD650 have warm, smooth, relaxing and easy to enjoyable. The simplest set-up for them that sounds good for me is: Centrance DACport + HD650. Never heard NuForce HDP + HD650 though.

Feb 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 7
I have the NuForce Icon HDP + HD650, and can vouch that this combination absolutely fits the bill for what you're looking for. (I also have the DT770 Pro, but it's the 80ohm, not 250) One major difference is that the DT770 is closed back, and HD650 is open back, so less isolation from external sounds (and noisier for others). But sound-wise the HD650 is better for what you're looking for, I think...

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi. I have the 80ohm 770 and I have never found it satisfying with the voyager... now the DT150, that's another story...  
smile_phones.gif

James 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back