Beyerdynamic DT770/80 ohms Question
Dec 20, 2010 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

headphonenoob

New Head-Fier
I'm wondering if a portable amp would improve the volume and sound quality of my Beyerdynamic DT770/80 ohms while being driven by my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. I've noticed that the mids are a bit recessed and if a portable amp can improve this issue, then I would be more than happy to shell out $50-100 on one. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 18
The mids are and will always be recessed. That is a major issue of the Pro 80s. It's bloated bass first. Everything else comes second.

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
The mids are and will always be recessed. That is a major issue of the Pro 80s. It's bloated bass first. Everything else comes second.

Would you recommend the regular Pro version or maybe the Premium instead?  I'm looking into these phones now. 

I'm not sure about the differences exactly but I'm guessing even if the bass isn't increased like here in whatever other version, it can still be EQ'd significantly up?  It still wouldn't be as bad as the bass on the Sennheiser HD 595's (for example) right?

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm looking into the DT990, but I've failed to find the DT 990 600 Ohm non-pros/2005 edition(same? I dunno) yet, in Europe that is. Only found 250 Ohms and the non-pros were like 2x the price of the Pros.
DT990 250 Ohm/600 Ohm seems like the perfect can for me (not that neutral and a fairly good bass, a "funny" can), so it'd be a shame if I couldn't get them. If I couldn't - which cans would be similiar to it? I can afford the premium 250 Ohms or even the 600 Ohms, but they just seem overpriced? Feels like I could get something like the 650's as well then, though they seem rather neutral compared to 990 (less than K701/600 if I got it right)?
Budget isn't really much of a problem, as long as it is within the realms of rationality and moneyvalue.

I will of course buy an amp/dac combo as well or a soundcard w/ that but right now phones are priority #1.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 18
I just sold my 770 Pro 80's. I had them for two years. They are a good headphone but like already stated, they lack mid range and IMO even EQing does little to improve that. I did enjoy them the time I had them. The bass is really good, with an amp/DAC is is deep but controlled. Without, it will get boomy and muddy on you. The highs are pretty decent too IMO. It's just the mids really hurt the overall. Another plus is that they are very comfy. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 18
You probably weren't speaking to me, but nonetheless...The 770's seem nice and I'd probably be satisfied them - heck, I'm fairly satisfied with my integrated audio+DR150's, but I really want the phones+amp/dac I'm buying now to probably be my last and only buy in this business. Since I feel like I'm easily satisfied I probably won't need 7 different headphones for different types of music, so I'd rather buy something really good right now and have it 'til it basically breaks, which should take very long time if I treat them good.

The 650's are about $400 in Europe and the 990's Pro and 770's 250 or 80 Ohm are $200. Dac/amps I don't know but what most here regard as decent amps seem to go for around $300 here. $700(400+300) is really expensive imo while $500 is fully acceptable, although I'll probably receive money for christmas/birthday.
Also the K601's are $200 but if they're as neutral as the K701's are (described), I'm unsure.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 18
They are a good headphone, especially if you're a mild to heavy basshead. It's a very fun sound, with a very good soundstage (the biggest I have heard in a closed headphone, surpassing some pretty good open headphones). They are incredibly comfortable as well. It's a great starter headphone for those that go directly to mid fi price range.

They won't need MUCH amping to sound good, but they do need an amp. The bass is very prominent, and can be very slow and uncontrolled. The highs are great (enough to satisfy trebleheads like me). I don't put a LOT of stock in the mids like a lot of people do, but I do prefer a brighter sound than the Pro 80s. In any case, they were fantastic back when I owned them, I just grew out of them, that's all. If you buy them and build your equipment, I have no doubt they'll make a lot of non neutral heads very happy.

Since I found it a bit warm, I honestly wouldn't recommend tube amps as it'd just make them too warm for my taste. A good transparent solid state amp would fit me best if I still owned the DT770 Pro 80s. I think they would be a perfect match with the Fiio E9 (with the E7 as DA or some other DAC of your choice). They aren't very hard to drive, so even a lowly Fiio E5 made them sound great (which is what I used back then). They could only get better with more power to juice them.

Dec 21, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I'm wondering if a portable amp would improve the volume and sound quality of my Beyerdynamic DT770/80 ohms while being driven by my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. I've noticed that the mids are a bit recessed and if a portable amp can improve this issue, then I would be more than happy to shell out $50-100 on one. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Short answer is yes a portable amp does improve the DT770/80's but not the recessed mids. Most improvements are noticed with reference to the bass, iPhones and laptop sound cards make the DT770/80's sound muddy. A Cmoy, FiiO E5 or E7 would all improve the sound quality you are currently getting.

A little over your budget but if you wanted the best of both worlds a FiiO E7 & E9 combo for listening on your PC and just use the E7 and an L3 LOD for your iPhone.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 18
I second eggontoast. I don't think there's almost anyone that wasn't happy with the E7/E9 combo, especially with headphones of this nature. The very few who own the Pro 80s with the E7/E9 have done nothing but praise the combo.

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 18
Thank you guys so much. You've given me a lot to think about and I can tell you that I'm leaning towards the E7 at the moment. By doing this, I can enjoy quality sound for now and eventually get an E9 for even better sound.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #14 of 18
One man's "bloated bass" is another man's "subwoofer in the room."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back