Beyerdynamic DT48 -- what is it?
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 25

Sounds about right.. The DT48 can extend quite low depending on what you feed it..

Off topic but I will say it.. I'd rank the 50's NAGRA's in the top 20 of the greatest dynamic headphones ever created. Sigh, flame me. Hey, if Jpod/N3rdling can say the DT48 is the worst headphone ever without listening to every good headphone I can make this statement. )
Quote:
The DT 48 bass compared to other phones is light and unextended.  

But if you listen to the DT48 by itself the bass actually suits the headphone perfectly. You wont get any slam/impact or sub bass extension with the DT48.  

The thing is, many people naturally like a little extra bass and these headphones dont have that. There is no midbass hump typical to other headphones. Thats why they have so little impact. That and the fact they dont extend far.  

One thing about the bass I like, it is transparent. It will come out of its shell if the song has lots of slam or extension. But its not like other headphones that are constantly bassy no matter the song. 

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 25

If you think 400 is a lot for a studio headphone try the 4070 at a cost of 1,800.. & better the DT48 probally in everything, but in terms of flatness I would need to A/B them.. The DT48 sound very flat.. & the 50's NAGRA goes beyond color & flatness.. They would put you to sleep with the wrong music..

Why are they 400.. Cause they were delivered by the gods themselves..
Quote:
Been browsing through the Headroom website, and came across these ugly ducklings. But something caught my eye. They're $400!
eek.gif
So I immediately do a search, and very little turns up.

This quote is about the best I could find, from a seller:
"Sealed design Eng/film monitoring headphone w/coiled cable a 1/4" stereo phone plug. Flat frequency response excellent isolation from ambient noise 200ohm." (here)

Here's a pic:
beyerDT48_LG.jpg

Like I said, nothing to write home about in the looks department. However, being a studio monitor, and twice as expensive as any other studio monitor I'm aware of, it gets me wondering what's so darn special about it. Here's another place where they are mentioned, although you don't get much about em. Headroom sells em, although they haven't tested them out. And lastly, here's a .pdf of what beyer had to say about em.

Enlighten me folks....
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
The DT 48 bass compared to other phones is light and unextended.  

But if you listen to the DT48 by itself the bass actually suits the headphone perfectly. You wont get any slam/impact or sub bass extension with the DT48.  

The thing is, many people naturally like a little extra bass and these headphones dont have that. There is no midbass hump typical to other headphones. Thats why they have so little impact. That and the fact they dont extend far.  

One thing about the bass I like, it is transparent. It will come out of its shell if the song has lots of slam or extension. But its not like other headphones that are constantly bassy no matter the song. 

Thanks for the insight man! I hate how all headphones have that extra bit of bass. I am on a quest for sonic fidelity! What version of the DT 48 do you have? I was looking to get the most accurate, and flattest version. I believe that would be the 200 ohm DT 48 E?

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
If you think 400 is a lot for a studio headphone try the 4070 at a cost of 1,800.. & better the DT48 probally in everything, but in terms of flatness I would need to A/B them.. The DT48 sound very flat.. & the 50's NAGRA goes beyond color & flatness.. They would put you to sleep with the wrong music..

Yeah!
I bet the Stax 4070 was pretty much unknown back then in 2001 though, as it was announced that year.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #20 of 25

He has the newest edition.. The most accurate & flattest would be the original 50's NAGRA DT48S. Truly a remarkable piece of gear.. To my ears they are as close to being colorless as possible.. Or are colorless.. The DT48a would be a close 2nd.. But both are a league above the newer models in terms of technical excellence..
Quote:

Thanks for the insight man! I hate how all headphones have that extra bit of bass. I am on a quest for sonic fidelity! What version of the DT 48 do you have? I was looking to get the most accurate, and flattest version. I believe that would be the 200 ohm DT 48 E?

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #21 of 25
I personally have the DT-48E 25 ohm version. KBI would probably say the NAGRA DT48S would be the most accurate and flattest. The audiometric DT48A is also supposedly more uncolored then the E versions. 

You will either fall in love with them or think they are junk depending on your expectations. Do some more research and figure out what your getting into. 

EDIT: you beat me KBI!

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #22 of 25
Glad they are still in production.. If I had to get a STAX I'd get the 4070.. One DT48 lover really praises them,  so I believe him.. I don't believe the haters, they are baias, & bash the DT48 any chance they get.. If this former DT48A owner says the 4070 is much better I believe him. & he finds them to be a good upgrade.. So that picked my interest, especially, since I think so highly of the DT48. Same for the HD800..Erik, Kevin, & oters who love the DT48 feel the HD800 is superior, so I believe them too.. If I come into some money I will personally ask you want amp I should get for the 4070.. When it comes to STAX you know your shxt..

Quote:

Yeah!
I bet the Stax 4070 was pretty much unknown back then in 2001 though, as it was announced that year.

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #23 of 25
The main reason I put the NAGRA on top is the fact that they sound like stereo headphones.. They don't have that AM type audio metric sound to them.. Think of Blade.. All their strength. None of their weaknesses.. The 50's NAGRA is very hard to find tough.. I cherish mine. The drivers also been repaired by a very talented MOTT Alex from a piresound.. I have so much faith in his work, I told him I wouldn't hold him accountable if anything went wrong.. Everything this man touches turns ito art.. He raised a torn to shreds R10 from the dead.. He truly is a genius when it comes to headphones. A rarity in deed.. I'm in great debt to him.. A part of me would die if I lost my NAGRA DT48S.. They mean that much to me.. Never heard any headphone like them by a large margin.. More nuetral & flat then the K100 IMO.. & out of all the DT48 are true chemelons.. Other DT48 models mid range sound a bit strained, conjested, & have less transparency.. They are effortless like ortho's in that regard.. I'm ranting again.. My apologies.. But I wouldn't sell my pair for a 1,000.. Someone send me a 1,000 for them. I will refund your money in a flash.. If you find one, they are TRULY worth 300-400 in every sense of the word..

Quote:
I personally have the DT-48E 25 ohm version. KBI would probably say the NAGRA DT48S would be the most accurate and flattest. The audiometric DT48A is also supposedly more uncolored then the E versions. 

You will either fall in love with them or think they are junk depending on your expectations. Do some more research and figure out what your getting into. 

EDIT: you beat me KBI!

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #24 of 25
Just found a pair of DT48 25 ohm listed on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180596528856

Anyone know what these are worth listed as like new condition? They look the same as the set at the start of this thread except the cord comes off of each ear rather than just one side...does this mean they are an older model, and would that be a good thing since they are in like new condition?

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #25 of 25

Quote:
Just found a pair of DT48 25 ohm listed on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180596528856

Anyone know what these are worth listed as like new condition? They look the same as the set at the start of this thread except the cord comes off of each ear rather than just one side...does this mean they are an older model, and would that be a good thing since they are in like new condition?

Thanks.

Same question here. I just bought myself a used pair of DT48s that have cabling coming from both sides, and look exactly like the one in that auction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back