Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 ohm or 250 ohm? Need help!
Jun 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

juroden

New Head-Fier
I'm definitely going to purchase a pair of these, it's just a matter of which one to get. I'll be using these strictly for my desktop computer. The problem is, I only have an on-board soundcard. So there's no way it will be able to work the 600's or even 250's. However, I WILL be getting ASUS Xonar Essence STX card eventually (probably months down the line though), which can run up to 600 ohms.

I'm just wondering if I'll still be able to enjoy the 600's with my computer right now? Or will the volume be too low/not enough punch/etc? Even with volume maxed/using an equalizer?

IF it's basically unusable without an amp/sound card, how do the 250's fare?

Even if the 600's are a little weak, will it be worth it over the 250 in the end (once I get the soundcard)?

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 6
I have owned a STX before and tested it extensively across it's high/low impedance/gain settings with the Beyer T1 and Beyer MMX 300. You're best off with the 250 ohm version. I Don't think you can get more qualified advice than that, unless someone has both the DT 990 versions with an STX :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I'm definitely going to purchase a pair of these, it's just a matter of which one to get. I'll be using these strictly for my desktop computer. The problem is, I only have an on-board soundcard. So there's no way it will be able to work the 600's or even 250's. However, I WILL be getting ASUS Xonar Essence STX card eventually (probably months down the line though), which can run up to 600 ohms.
I'm just wondering if I'll still be able to enjoy the 600's with my computer right now? Or will the volume be too low/not enough punch/etc? Even with volume maxed/using an equalizer?
IF it's basically unusable without an amp/sound card, how do the 250's fare?
Even if the 600's are a little weak, will it be worth it over the 250 in the end (once I get the sound card)?

I would guess you would not enjoy the 600-Ohm or even the 250-Ohm with your on-board sound.
On-board sound usually means low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)
On-board headphone jacks are usually line-out jacks that pretend to be headphone outputs.
If you did get the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, you could spend $70-$90 for a single tube headphone amplifier off eBay, ships from China.
The single tube amps sold on eBay can easily drive 600-Ohm headphones.
For $14-$24 you can add an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, which has a better DAC then your motherboards on-board sound.

If you went with the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, you could get away with using just the Xonar DG to drive it (barely decently).
You could get away with adding a $50 single tube amp for driving nicely the 250-Ohm DT990.

If you went with a used Xonar DX or D1 ($55) and a $70 tube amp. you would not need to buy the STX ever.

I vote you get the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm anyway, save you wallet the pain.
Get the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm when your ready spend $250-$300 just for an amp.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5 of 6
Higher impedances are usually better for (older) amps (high output impedance, like tube amps), and areas where you might want to use more than one headphone (like studio etc). They'll not stress the equipment that much, as long as it is a good voltage source.
And 600 ohms is pretty much upper limit for a lot of low to medium cost / portable amps.
So nothing to gain as such, get 250 ohms, its usable with a bigger variety of amps, including portable ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back