Beyerdynamic DT-880 600Ohms version Please help!!!
Nov 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vicca Tito

100+ Head-Fier
Hello friends,

I must say that I'm for the 1st time in problems regarding headphones.
To replace my old pair of Sennheiser HD595s I decided to purchase Beyerdynamic DT-880(600Ohms version) in hope for improved details in music and what most of users claimed at least a decent bass lines. What I've got here is by far the most disappointing thing I have ever heard. While preserving details (really good digging in recording), I dare to say that these phones don't actually contain bass at all. With (at least I think like that) decent Darkvoice 3322 headamp and (unfortunately) iMac to Yulong DAC source must say that aside from detailing in music the notes are flat, under average sounding phones, maybe the worse that I have ever heard in that league.
I hope for much much better. I was promised spacious sound, good dynamics but hey, there is nothing of it.
The phones are in good condition but in my country there is no possibilities for headphone amp purchase from China.
The best they sounded was with my Sony CD player CDP 779ES's headphone out. C.E.C. HD51 was so bass light that was a killing for my ears.
Really amazed and disappointed.
My old Senns are so much better. Even the Grados basic model SR60 sound significantly better and more dynamic.

So,

Where am I going wrong?
Is there anything I can do to improve sound, within 200 eur limit?

Please help, desperate to spent so much money on these obviously notoriously hard to drive headphones.

Thanks

Vicca

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 9
What I would do is use foobar2000 as the source with these channel mixer settings:

General tab:

Output channels set at 6 with all boxes checked except LFE
Stereoimage width set at 1.0

Upmix tab:

Mode set at Copy
Center at .1
Subwoofer at 1
Rear volume at .62
Leave Invert unchecked

Subwoofer tab:

Check Use Subwoofer box - Subwoofer Channel - Volume at 1.0
Check Bass Redirection box - Full redirection - Frequency at 70

Dolby Headphone settings:

DH1 Reference room - Amplification at 100% - Dynamic compression box unchecked

Here's the instructions for everything you need to do before making the above adjustments:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

Make sure you download foobar2000 v0.9.6.9, not the new version, as I read that Channel Mixer isn't yet compatible with it. Then make all the adjustments I mentioned to Channel Mixer and Dolby Headphone. Then you can tweak it to your own ears. I guarantee you will love your Beyers and it's free, assuming you have a pc...

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the 880/600 and they are my favorite cans. But if you were looking for bass, you probably should have gone with 990s. The 880s are balanced and neutral to my ears. I have the whole trifecta (770, 880, 990). The 770 and 990 are by far more bassy. I enjoy the 880 with rock, country, pop, classical, etc. I use the 990 for rap, r&n, and house. The 770 only come out when I required closed backs.

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Just out of curiousity how long did you burn in?

Not for so long I must be honest.
About 70 - 80 hours I think.
Does it matter that much, I suppose it does, but how much?

Thanks

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
What I would do is use foobar2000 as the source with these channel mixer settings:

General tab:

Output channels set at 6 with all boxes checked except LFE
Stereoimage width set at 1.0

Upmix tab:

Mode set at Copy
Center at .1
Subwoofer at 1
Rear volume at .62
Leave Invert unchecked

Subwoofer tab:

Check Use Subwoofer box - Subwoofer Channel - Volume at 1.0
Check Bass Redirection box - Full redirection - Frequency at 70

Dolby Headphone settings:

DH1 Reference room - Amplification at 100% - Dynamic compression box unchecked

Here's the instructions for everything you need to do before making the above adjustments:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/447089/5-1-headphone-experience-foobar-configuration-for-all-stereo-music-files

Make sure you download foobar2000 v0.9.6.9, not the new version, as I read that Channel Mixer isn't yet compatible with it. Then make all the adjustments I mentioned to Channel Mixer and Dolby Headphone. Then you can tweak it to your own ears. I guarantee you will love your Beyers and it's free, assuming you have a pc...

Wow, does that mean buy buy to "Play" software on MacOS?
Very interesting thing, bet wanna try that one.
Could all that be done by using Paralel dekstops?

Nov 3, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Tried with Foobar on Paralels desktops for Mac but the Foobar's new version 1.1 does not allow DTS decoder to be shown in available copmonents. Others are fine i.e. channel mixer and dolby headphone wrapper.
What to do next?
Tried also with the above mentioned v. 0.9.6.9. but obvious mistakes with dlls have been shown.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Tried with Foobar on Paralels desktops for Mac but the Foobar's new version 1.1 does not allow DTS decoder to be shown in available copmonents. Others are fine i.e. channel mixer and dolby headphone wrapper.
What to do next?
Tried also with the above mentioned v. 0.9.6.9. but obvious mistakes with dlls have been shown.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Paralels. v0.9.6.9 is the correct version of foobar. The dlls should be placed in the foobar2000 components folder. Don't worry about DTS Encoder if you can't get it to work. If you can get channel mixer and dolby headphone to work, adjust those to my settings and give a listen. If you can get them to work in foobar 1.1 then great. I think you will be very pleased. Let me know how it goes. If you need help with version 9.6.9 pm me and I'll try to walk you through it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back