Beyerdynamic DT 880 (600ohm) Verses HiFiMan He 300
Jul 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xida

New Head-Fier
I am in dire need of outside opinions oh Head-Fi. I have researched and researched and I have come to no conclusion. I need to know what headphones to get. Either the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880s, which I can get for around $200, or the HiFiMan HE 300, which is similar in price.

I want a pair of headphones that I can own for a really long time and enjoy, and also use for the occasional mixing, music editing and etc. I know they are both comfortable and well built, so that's not an issue. Amp wise I will be using the Schitt Magni Modi pair.

Also, if it helps, I'm upgrading from the AKG K550 which failed to impress me for the price, mostly due to poor fit and no amplification.

Help me please ;-;

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I am in dire need of outside opinions oh Head-Fi. I have researched and researched and I have come to no conclusion. I need to know what headphones to get. Either the 600 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 880s, which I can get for around $200, or the HiFiMan HE 300, which is similar in price.

I want a pair of headphones that I can own for a really long time and enjoy, and also use for the occasional mixing, music editing and etc. I know they are both comfortable and well built, so that's not an issue. Amp wise I will be using the Schitt Magni Modi pair.

Also, if it helps, I'm upgrading from the AKG K550 which failed to impress me for the price, mostly due to poor fit and no amplification.

Help me please ;-;

Hi,

I've done research on the Hifimans vs Beyerdynamics dts and from what I've read... You would really need an amp to really drive the 880s properly, otherwise it won't live up to their potential. As for the HE-300s, I think you may be better off trying to get the He-400s. From what I understand the 300s are Hifimans first attempt into dynamic drivers opposed to the planar magnetic drivers... which deliver some great sound, but don't match up to the rest of the HE series. I think you would be better off with the 880s rather than the 300s.... But if you don't have an amp to make it happen, you may want to look into other options. Maybe look into Grados? But others can correct me if I'm wrong. 

hificans

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the input! I had actually been considering the he 400s, and were close to buying them when I heard they sound "artificial". Amp wise I do have a Schitt Modi which is capable of driving the880s. For now I have settled on the beyers but maybe sometime in the future I will try the hifimans. Any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Haven't seen many negative comments as to the sound being "artificial" - but its all personal taste when it comes to sound. I haven't had experience on either cans, mainly I can't decide myself on what to go with... but from what others have advised me - its best to try out as many as you can to see if they are right for you. See if you can audition both cans at home. Maybe go to guitar center to pick up the 880s and ship in the 300s or 400s from a legit dealer? Try them out over a week and return that one doesn't work out for you. Just be sure to check out the return policies from online dealers - don't want to get stuck with restocking fees and such... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back