Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Apr 1, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #676 of 679
I've been taking advantage of some lengthy listening sessions this weekend and I'm thinking these sound fantastic. When I got them I wasn't so sure, the bright treble and sibilance really turned me off. Now, they sound a lot less harsh, only slightly bothersome to me on material that is already bright. No problems on about 90% of what I listened to. That treble adds just the right amount of crispness. They can still be somewhat sibilant on some material too but again, not a huge issue and probably has more to do with the mastering. The mids on these are just fine. Sub-bass is killer, mid bass is very nice. Usually I find that isn't too much, but isn't too little either. 80 ohm supposedly has more but this is plenty for me. Soundstage and separation blew me away. I know these are a v-shaped can, but the different frequencies combine to provide something quite neutral sounding as the sum. And to me they sound fine out of my MacBook Pro and iPhone 7. I heard an amp opens them up a little more and tightens the bass and smoothens the treble. Something I might try out some day. By the way, mine have velour pads, I don't have any issues with isolation or leakage as they fit pretty tight.

Just for shish and giggles, I tried my M50's for the first time in three weeks next to these and these honestly made me wonder why I thought the M50's sounded so good to me. Definitely more comfortable. I think these are among the best you can get in their price range. I was considering the M2's, B&O H6, and B&W P7's to fall back on if I found myself not liking the 770's but now I think these are keepers and feel those headphones wouldn't improve much at nearly double the cost, aside from better portability. One thing I realized is that these probably won't be the best headphones to walk around outside or ride on the train with lol but I got some Beyerdynamic earbuds to compliment the 770's for situations where I can't take them with me and for the gym. I just tried them out yesterday and they sound pretty good given what they are.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #678 of 679
Something strange seems to have happened...I wonder if these have reached their final phase of break in. Bass now is more prominent, treble more relaxed, mids a little more forward, and all sounds clearer. Also, I played one song I played yesterday and it sounded louder at a lower volume, and more open...it could be in my head but it kinda sounds like the audio has changed quite dramatically. They sound warmer and more dynamic...it’s like the drivers drank a Red Bull...they sound better...I can play these louder without the treble being too much I feel.

One thing I did yesterday, I noticed the outer material of the velours were pressed in slightly at the top, so I spun them 180 degrees. Also the little holes that go around the inside of the pad are deeper inside at the top of my ears. Could something like this affect the sound in any way or am I talking crazy?

Either way I feel like I need to listen to my whole collection now :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #679 of 679
Here’s a difference I can describe today that I couldn’t describe a few days ago; One track that really didn’t sound good on these was Do I Do by Stevie Wonder, from my Original Musiquarium disc. The bass was weak, the sound was a bit narrow, his voice was kinda nasally and thin, and there are two big cymbal crashes at the end of each chorus that sounded very bright and harsh and covered the top frequencies so much that I couldn’t hear where they were coming from in the mix.

Today, I listened to the track and the bass was thicker, the instruments were spread out and had prominence, Stevie’s voice was louder and fuller, the backing vocals too. And best of all, the cymbal crashes were no longer piercingly harsh or bright. They are loud cymbal crashes but they aren’t smothering the entire treble region with decay, and I can now hear where the hits are coming from (the last one sounded center and in your face, now I can hear it comes from slightly west).

I have to say at least to my ears the change was quite drastic. Everything sounds fuller now, and louder too, in a good way. These have gone from sounding like good, dependable headphones to PHENOMENAL headphones in the span of a day. Can anyone else relate? Something has to have happened with the drivers, as I doubt earpad readjustments would cause a change this big...but who knows?

Adding, sibilance has also gone down quite a little bit...I can now crank them without getting afraid of hard treble. man I’m loving these. And to think I was considering selling them. Glad I gave them a chance :)

Adding one more, Lorde...her voice sounds fuller and it’s lovely. Tiny bit of sibilance in some spots but I can be pretty certain it’s in the mastering before. And I heard a bass note in Green Light that felt like someone just pulled on my arm...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back