Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms vs DT 990 250 Ohms
Feb 11, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 32
I get the feeling OP wants bassy headphones (or near basshead level bass) and if thats true, the A900X doesnt have the kind of bass he'd be satisfied with, IMO. I think they sound great, and while I wouldn't consider myself a "basshead", even I feel they dont have quite enough bass for me.

I think the DT770's would be a good pick (if you plan to use an amp with them.) The mids might be a little recessed, but they don't feel veiled or anything like that. They're just laid back and not in your face. But again, they need an amp, or else they sound thin and just not so good. I feel they aren't so portable either.

Now, assuming the OP wants the kind of bass I'm thinking of, I think it would be best to check out headphones like the VMODA Crossfade LPs, or M-100s, or maybe even the Audio Technica M50x. They won't need an amp and are more portable than the DT770's, imo.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 32
  Now, assuming the OP wants the kind of bass I'm thinking of, I think it would be best to check out headphones like the VMODA Crossfade LPs, or M-100s, or maybe even the Audio Technica M50x. They won't need an amp and are more portable than the DT770's, imo.

There's also the M-Audio Q40 and Yamaha Pro 400/500.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 32
I think M50x is probably safest bet. They are well balanced with some awesome bass and good treble and not as badly recessed mids as other headphones and people will think you're cool.
biggrin.gif

DT770 is kinda huge with a very prominent treble. 
M-audio looks like it was designed by Jeff Gordon, but really these ugly cans are pretty well balanced. 
Yamaha looks like they trying too hard to be beats, although that frequency graph looks pretty interesting, that mid-bass daaaaayum. 

Scratch all that...V-moda is the coolest. 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though... M50x or V-moda M100 or LP2(if you reallly like bass). 

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 32
I think M50x is probably safest bet. They are well balanced with some awesome bass and good treble and not as badly recessed mids as other headphones and people will think you're cool. :D  

DT770 is kinda huge with a very prominent treble. 
M-audio looks like it was designed by Jeff Gordon, but really these ugly cans are pretty well balanced. 
Yamaha looks like they trying too hard to be beats, although that frequency graph looks pretty interesting, that mid-bass daaaaayum. 

Scratch all that...V-moda is the coolest. :D  

Seriously though... M50x or V-moda M100 or LP2(if you reallly like bass). 

Thanks, I guess its down to the DT770 Pro 80Ohms or the ATH-M50x, but I think it will be the DT770's.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #20 of 32
I have both the DT770 Pro 80 and the DT990 250.

The DT770's being closed are a much better choice for the work environment. They are driven well by my old ipod classic and even better by my new fiio X5. Solid bass. Clean highs.

I love the DT990's which I use at home. Very light weight comfortable open phones that are at their best with some kind of amp. I'm pretty happy with a fiio E17, but I cant really compare it to anything else. Full bass, maybe not as solid at the 770's and excellent upper range.

I also had some ATH-AD700X. I'm not sure how they compare with the ones mentioned in one of the earlier posts, but I have to say they were horrible - exagerated mids, muddy bass, harsh treble.

From what you say about the music you listen too, I would go with the DT770 and amp optional (though recommended).

David

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 32
I have both the DT770 Pro 80 and the DT990 250.
Also, are they portable?
The DT770's being closed are a much better choice for the work environment. They are driven well by my old ipod classic and even better by my new fiio X5. Solid bass. Clean highs.

I love the DT990's which I use at home. Very light weight comfortable open phones that are at their best with some kind of amp. I'm pretty happy with a fiio E17, but I cant really compare it to anything else. Full bass, maybe not as solid at the 770's and excellent upper range.

I also had some ATH-AD700X. I'm not sure how they compare with the ones mentioned in one of the earlier posts, but I have to say they were horrible - exagerated mids, muddy bass, harsh treble.

From what you say about the music you listen too, I would go with the DT770 and amp optional (though recommended).

David

I won't be purchasing an amp when I order my headphones, I will be ordering the amp a few weeks/months later. So would I be able to drive the DT770 Pro 80 Ohms with my Note 2? Or shall I get the ATH-M50x's as they're portable and have 32ohms.

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 32

I won't be purchasing an amp when I order my headphones, I will be ordering the amp a few weeks/months later. So would I be able to drive the DT770 Pro 80 Ohms with my Note 2? Or shall I get the ATH-M50x's as they're portable and have 32ohms.

Also, are they portable?

No--the DT 770 is a very large full sized headphone with a long fixed cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back