Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms vs DT 990 250 Ohms
Feb 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

pra5hant

Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm fairly new to Beyerdynamic headphones and where I live they are not sold in stores and cannot be tried on, I want headphones that deliver loads of bass, good treble and great high's, mids and lows. These headphones are the ones I have conculded with but I don't know which model to pick as I will not be using an amp to drive them, they are the same price where I live so whichever delivers better sound and is more compatible with a smartphone and laptop would be great! 

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 32
The mids on both of these cans (one open and one closed) are significantly recessed.

The DT 880 is much more balanced than either of these two you listed.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

BTW: what amp do you intend to use?

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 32
These headphones are the ones I have conculded with but I don't know which model to pick as I will not be using an amp to drive them, they are the same price where I live so whichever delivers better sound and is more compatible with a smartphone and laptop would be great!

Lower impedance headphones are easier to drive with a phone or laptop, so the DT770 is a better choice for you. 250 ohm headphones will typically need an amp.

Also, know that open headphones leak a lot of sound, both in and out. They are best used at home, not in public. If that is a concern, stick with the DT770s.

What is your budget for an amp?

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 32
  Hi there, I'm fairly new to Beyerdynamic headphones and where I live they are not sold in stores and cannot be tried on, I want headphones that deliver loads of bass, good treble and great high's, mids and lows. These headphones are the ones I have concluded with but I don't know which model to pick as I will not be using an amp to drive them, they are the same price where I live so whichever delivers better sound and is more compatible with a smartphone and laptop would be great! 

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphone or ATH-AD900X (open) headphones.
They are both around 40-Ohms, so work fine without an add-on headphone amplifier.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 32
The ATH-A900X looks awesome! Does it have a warranty in the UK? If yes, that's my next pair! Thanks!

*EDIT* They're double the price of the DT770's! Plus, they're so hard to purchase where I live...

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 32
Some of the AKGs in this range is what I would suggest as alternatives. Perhaps the AKG K501(old but really good), K612 Pro et al.
The Beyers have a voluptuous bass that muffles the mids especially in fast music. The DT 990 Pro also has a very peaky treble below 10KHz which is very noticeable and annoying while the DT 770 has a boomy bass and a bright treble too. Both are evidently V shaped.

However it would definitely be advisable to first notify us of your music tastes. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #10 of 32
Some of the AKGs in this range is what I would suggest as alternatives. Perhaps the AKG K501(old but really good), K612 Pro et al.
The Beyers have a voluptuous bass that muffles the mids especially in fast music. The DT 990 Pro also has a very peaky treble below 10KHz which is very noticeable and annoying while the DT 770 has a boomy bass and a bright treble too. Both are evidently V shaped.

However it would definitely be advisable to first notify us of your music tastes. Thanks.

Hip-Hop, Rap, typical f'in teenager mainstream music! (Ayo Tyga X Chris Brown)

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 32
K612 pro if it has the hollow staging of the AKG K series line up is better in the long run due to better versatility across genres and not too many spikes in the frequency response.
Generally music preferences undergo changes and a versatile headphone is highly preferable if you ask me. A couple of older K series had anemic bass response but the newer models are reported with better whooping.

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 32
BTW these need amping so you might have to invest in them.
The custom pro series of Beyers might be slightly out of your budget but worth for your genre preferences

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 32
K612 pro if it has the hollow staging of the AKG K series line up is better in the long run due to better versatility across genres and not too many spikes in the frequency response.
Generally music preferences undergo changes and a versatile headphone is highly preferable if you ask me. A couple of older K series had anemic bass response but the newer models are reported with better whooping.

They're fairly priced! Plus the frequency response is good. If they have a replaceable cable, warranty and good bass I'm sold!

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 32
If you liked the ATH-A900X, then you might like these Soundmagic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-HP150-Closed-Headphones-Replaceable/dp/B00NF5SF3Q/ I would generally consider them the same sound signature class as the A900X, although if you could hear both, you would of course likely prefer one over the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back