BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro - 80 got Backordered till 27th April, any alternatives?
Apr 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TrithilonV2

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
I had ordered a DT 770 pro - 80 Ohm version from Musicians friend during a sale and got 30$ off on it. (Good deal).
But... turns out my backorder date has been postponed from 5th of April to 27th. :S
I wanted the 80 Ohm version for my PC and iPad. I will also be using a JDS Labs cMoyBB 18v version to amp them.
They say they have a 250 Ohm version they could ship immediately with no extra charges... what should I do? I really dont want to compromise a lot on comfort, volume, portable support etc.
I like my music a bit thick & bassy and would like some volume on them.

Does going for a 250 Ohm version kill my agenda?

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Hi all,
I had ordered a DT 770 pro - 80 Ohm version from Musicians friend during a sale and got 30$ off on it. (Good deal).
But... turns out my backorder date has been postponed from 5th of April to 27th. :S
I wanted the 80 Ohm version for my PC and iPad. I will also be using a JDS Labs cMoyBB 18v version to amp them.
They say they have a 250 Ohm version they could ship immediately with no extra charges... what should I do? I really dont want to compromise a lot on comfort, volume, portable support etc.

Heya,

The CMOY should be able to power the 250ohm version, but it may not completely power it with overhead to spare. I would just wait for the 80ohm to come into stock. It's only 20 days from now.

Very best,

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrithilonV2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would not worry about getting the 250 Ohm version. In fact, in this thread someone has recently found that a CMOY works worse with a 80 Ohm DT250 (different headphone, but similar drivers to the DT770) than it does with the 250 Ohm version. This is not very surprising, since the main weakness of CMOYs in general is low maximum current output. The 18 V cMoyBB is also fairly powerful, likely more so than the E11 (~9 V power supply) for example with high impedance headphones. Based on the data sheets of the components used in the cMoyBB, it would have at least comparable power output into 250 Ohms than it does into 80 Ohms, and with less current drawn (= lower distortion, less battery drain).
The DT770-250 has slightly brighter sound than the 80 Ohm version, with better treble extension and less bass, but the difference is not major overall, the signature is fundamentally of the same type. Note that the 250 Ohm version has a coiled cord.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 10
@stv014

Quote:
I would not worry about getting the 250 Ohm version. In fact, in this thread someone has recently found that a CMOY works worse with a 80 Ohm DT250 (different headphone, but similar drivers to the DT770) than it does with the 250 Ohm version. This is not very surprising, since the main weakness of CMOYs in general is low maximum current output. The 18 V cMoyBB is also fairly powerful, likely more so than the E11 (~9 V power supply) for example with high impedance headphones. Based on the data sheets of the components used in the cMoyBB, it would have at least comparable power output into 250 Ohms than it does into 80 Ohms, and with less current drawn (= lower distortion, less battery drain). The DT770-250 has slightly brighter sound than the 80 Ohm version, with better treble extension and less bass, but the difference is not major overall, the signature is fundamentally of the same type. Note that the 250 Ohm version has a coiled cord.

OK... In terms of relative percentage, how much volume difference is to be expected from the 80 Ohm vs 250 Ohm? If I try to drive the 250 Ohm unamped on my iPad at max volume - Will I atleast hear loud & clear enough? My volume levels typically hover between 70-100% depending upon the kind of headphone's efficiency and the song's innate loudness. (I DO have a tendency to prefer 10-20% more volume than most people). Yes, the 18v CMOY should be able to drive them... but I don't want to be dependent on a secondary device to be able to hear decently enough. Also - what about the bass? I know this can be subjective, but how much bass to expect? May be some legit graphs or numbers could help. The coiled chord is another plus.

@MalVeauX
Quote:
Heya,  
The CMOY should be able to power the 250ohm version, but it may not completely power it with overhead to spare. I would just wait for the 80ohm to come into stock. It's only 20 days from now.

Very best,

20 Days feels so long :frowning2: Its out of stock everywhere. They have a mint condition piece for a little less, but i suspect its the one the buyers are talking about - which has one driver faulty.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrithilonV2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK... In terms of relative percentage, how much volume difference is to be expected from the 80 Ohm vs 250 Ohm? If I try to drive the 250 Ohm unamped on my iPad at max volume - Will I atleast hear loud & clear enough? My volume levels typically hover between 70-100% depending upon the kind of headphone's efficiency and the song's innate loudness. (I DO have a tendency to prefer 10-20% more volume than most people). Yes, the 18v CMOY should be able to drive them... but I don't want to be dependent on a secondary device to be able to hear decently enough. Also - what about the bass? I know this can be subjective, but how much bass to expect? May be some legit graphs or numbers could help. The coiled chord is another plus.

I do not have an iPad, but if you are already maxing out the volume with other (presumably lower impedance and more sensitive) headphones, you may find it lacking without the cMoyBB, perhaps even with the 80 Ohm version.
I only have experience with the 250 Ohm DT770 Pro, and do not find the bass to be lacking, it extends quite low, and emphasizes mainly the sub-bass (it adds some decent "thump" to music that has a lot of bass at 40-50 Hz). Although it is not that bass heavy as some people seem to claim; either they exaggerate (likely), or the 80 Ohm version has more bass. Unfortunately, I have seen only one frequency response graph for the DT770-80 (at doctorhead.ru), and it does not seem to be accurate. For the 250 Ohm version, there are a couple of graphs available, and I also made some measurements that are only accurate between about 30 Hz and 2-3 kHz.

Apr 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Heya,

I tested my DT770's (80ohm) on an iPad with no amp for you directly and found that the volume at 100% is actually plenty loud enough for most things. I listened to a few songs and they sounded great, everything was good. So then I tested to see how sub-bass was, and played a little dub. Found out right away, it can power it ok, but not fully. The low end bass directly from the iPad was muddy and not very prominent. When I added my Fiio E11 amp to the chain, boom, fixed, plentiful rich low solid sounding bass. So you can use the DT770 right from the iPad and it will work decently, but definitely not optimally. Definitely needs an amp if you want to hear the best out of your low end on the Beyer. And that makes sense, because it takes more energy (power) to generate lower tones than it does higher tones. So bass is not strong like it should be from an under powered source (the iPad directly). With an amp, that is resolved.

Very best,

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

I tested my DT770's (80ohm) on an iPad with no amp for you directly and found that the volume at 100% is actually plenty loud enough for most things. I listened to a few songs and they sounded great, everything was good. So then I tested to see how sub-bass was, and played a little dub. Found out right away, it can power it ok, but not fully. The low end bass directly from the iPad was muddy and not very prominent. When I added my Fiio E11 amp to the chain, boom, fixed, plentiful rich low solid sounding bass. So you can use the DT770 right from the iPad and it will work decently, but definitely not optimally. Definitely needs an amp if you want to hear the best out of your low end on the Beyer. And that makes sense, because it takes more energy (power) to generate lower tones than it does higher tones. So bass is not strong like it should be from an under powered source (the iPad directly). With an amp, that is resolved.

Very best,

Whoa! I am really thankful for you having taken to effort to test it out just for me. Right now, I am in talks with the customer care guy to see if they could arrange it earlier. The cheap chinese head phones I am forced to use are killing me and are some of the most inefficient pieces I have come across. I guess, my friend got it for 5-10 bucks. What do you expect. :S
Hopefully, it wont be another 20 days with them.
Any idea, where I could get a good deal for these? Its hard to find them in stock. Preferably in the US.

Quote:

I do not have an iPad, but if you are already maxing out the volume with other (presumably lower impedance and more sensitive) headphones, you may find it lacking without the cMoyBB, perhaps even with the 80 Ohm version.
I only have experience with the 250 Ohm DT770 Pro, and do not find the bass to be lacking, it extends quite low, and emphasizes mainly the sub-bass (it adds some decent "thump" to music that has a lot of bass at 40-50 Hz). Although it is not that bass heavy as some people seem to claim; either they exaggerate (likely), or the 80 Ohm version has more bass. Unfortunately, I have seen only one frequency response graph for the DT770-80 (at doctorhead.ru), and it does not seem to be accurate. For the 250 Ohm version, there are a couple of graphs available, and I also made some measurements that are only accurate between about 30 Hz and 2-3 kHz.

I guess, its the outrageous set of words people have used across the forums to describe the difference that is creating the confusion and making me feel that the 250 is very off with the bass. Objective appreciation and comparison is hard to find on this topic :S.
I am worried about the volume, as to how much will I hear on max volume with the 250 ohm version.

Thank you all :)

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 10
Do you have to have new? There are dt700 of different ohm's on the for sale forum here. Just a thought.

good luck!

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

Sorry to threadjack, but would you mind telling me what songs you used? I'm going through my library and swapping between my iPod, onboard sound and my E17 as standalone amp and as a DAC/amp and I can't hear any differences in any of my music (most/all of it is at least 200kbps, the majority being 320kbps mp3) with my DT 770 pro 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back