Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 12, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,206 of 4,790
Why is there such a huge treble spike in the mid treble in these headphones? It's scaring me and is frequently brought up. Are they trying to target a diffuse field curve? It was clearly not the Harman Kardon curve, so I'm wondering what drove them to do that.

If that wasn't present, I think they would be a lot more popular. I haven't heard these in person, but open back headphones do not usually have the bass response of this. It's a shame that treble is so up there though.

If you ever get to try/owe them. I suggest you try playing around with EqualizerAPO. I'm a teetotaler, but I'd say using an equalizer is like brewing your own beer. And if you're interested (I know no one's interested) here's my brew:

Preamp: -3.5 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 28.25 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1.8
Filter: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 1.8
Filter: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 1.625
Filter: ON PK Fc 500 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.9092
Filter: ON PK Fc 330.68 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 1.3767
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 2.2743
Filter: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.4036
Filter: ON PK Fc 7000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 9.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 3.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 5.3
Bass boost
Filter: ON LSC 30 dB Fc 150 Hz Gain 1.5 dB
Filter: ON HS Fc 400 Hz Gain -1.9 dB

It's my EqualizerAPO settings, before the Bass boost note, I'm just inverting the DT-1990 frequency response to my tastes, keeping as much as the clarity as possible. After that it's just a Low shelf filter to get some more bass and high shelf filter to tame the highs a bit. I'm using Topping D30, Violectric V200 and Round velour Brainwavz pads with the mesh cutout. I'm really liking the sound on this setup, I'm trying to emulate the sound I heard on the HE1 two years ago. I know it's apple and oranges, but I'm inching closer. I'm hoping the Chord Hugo I ordered will be able to squish that last ounce of detail out of my music.

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,207 of 4,790
I currently use T90s which I’ve really loved for a few years. But I’m thinking of switching to dt1990s. In the hope of further clarity and better bottom end! I use my headphones via an X18 digital mixer for my own music production. Is there going to be the improvement I’m hoping for in the dt1990s over the T90s? I previously had 990s that were rather poor in comparison to the T90s, of course. Hoping the dt1990s will give me the clarity I need for production. If they’re not a improvement, then the UK price of £380 is enough for a new little synth. Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #2,208 of 4,790
Hey gang,
I'm hoping this isn't inappropriate for this thread...
Since I love my DT 1990 with B-pads so much, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I find myself wanting some IEMs that can technically match the DT 1990. What I mean is that they don't have to sound the same as the 1990 (although, well, that would be great), but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out every time I put them in. On the other hand, I don't want IEMs that are so much better than the DT 1990 that the Beyers pale in comparison (though, to be honest, I don't really foresee this being a problem).

If there was anything I'd change, I'd ask for a little less treble (but not so much less that they're veiled or dark) and that they're more forgiving of bad recordings (but not so much that they're un-detailed).

They have to be:
Good all-arounders. I listen to a lot of genres.
Comfortable. I've got a long flight coming up this spring and I want something I can leave in for hours and hours at a time.
Isolate well.
Low profile so I can wear them with a hat during the winter.
Over-ear wearing style. I can't stand microphonics.
$600 budget. Same as DT 1990! Of course, (much) cheaper is always better, but they have to get me where I want to go.
I'm willing to consider customs, but I'd prefer universal.

If you have any recommendations, please shoot me a PM! I really don't want to turn this into a thread about IEM recs, but wanted to ask here since I love the DT 1990 so much. Of course, if anybody is interested I can share what I find. I'll probably start a thread in the Recommendations forum, too, but I wanted to ask here first.

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #2,209 of 4,790
Hey gang,
I'm hoping this isn't inappropriate for this thread...
Since I love my DT 1990 with B-pads so much, I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I find myself wanting some IEMs that can technically match the DT 1990. What I mean is that they don't have to sound the same as the 1990 (although, well, that would be great), but I don't want to feel like I'm missing out every time I put them in. On the other hand, I don't want IEMs that are so much better than the DT 1990 that the Beyers pale in comparison (though, to be honest, I don't really foresee this being a problem).

If there was anything I'd change, I'd ask for a little less treble (but not so much less that they're veiled or dark) and that they're more forgiving of bad recordings (but not so much that they're un-detailed).

They have to be:
Good all-arounders. I listen to a lot of genres.
Comfortable. I've got a long flight coming up this spring and I want something I can leave in for hours and hours at a time.
Isolate well.
Low profile so I can wear them with a hat during the winter.
Over-ear wearing style. I can't stand microphonics.
$600 budget. Same as DT 1990! Of course, (much) cheaper is always better, but they have to get me where I want to go.
I'm willing to consider customs, but I'd prefer universal.

If you have any recommendations, please shoot me a PM! I really don't want to turn this into a thread about IEM recs, but wanted to ask here since I love the DT 1990 so much. Of course, if anybody is interested I can share what I find. I'll probably start a thread in the Recommendations forum, too, but I wanted to ask here first.

Thanks!

I asked similar question few days back and I was willing to make compromise and buy DT1770 but after listening to them I was disappointed, V shape sound, 1990 is more rafined and neutral somehow.

I tried again Audeze Sine and was blown away by sound, closed portable were my terms and I’m very happy with purchase.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,210 of 4,790
I asked similar question few days back and I was willing to make compromise and buy DT1770 but after listening to them I was disappointed, V shape sound, 1990 is more rafined and neutral somehow.

I tried again Audeze Sine and was blown away by sound, closed portable were my terms and I’m very happy with purchase.
Yeah, I saw your post a few days ago, but I'm specifically looking for an IEM.
Too bad about the DT 1770. It's definitely got a weird FR curve. It looks like a bouncing ball. I was kind of hoping that they compensated for it with resonances, or something.

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,214 of 4,790
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #2,215 of 4,790
Hi, how do you compare the bass quantity of the DT1990 PRO vs DT770 PRO vs AKG K712 PRO?
And if you have to rate that from 1 to 10?

I bought K712 PRO but I found them a little bit flat for my tastes, specially for bass and I'm planning to replace them with DT1990 PRO or Fidelio X2.
Thank you :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #2,216 of 4,790
Hi, how do you compare the bass quantity of the DT1990 PRO vs DT770 PRO vs AKG K712 PRO?

I bought K712 PRO but I found them a little bit flat for my tastes, specially for bass and I'm planning to replace them with DT1990 PRO or Fidelio X2.

DT 1770 have most quantity but little boomy and undefined, DT1990 have best controled bass I listened, it's moderate in quantity but very defined and textured, AKG have nice soundstage but little boring to me and bass is pretty good for AKG, Fidelio X2 is so weird headphone, I never understood hype, hi mids and treble is so weird and plasticky, I don't like, DT 1990 clear winner.

Nov 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,217 of 4,790

Do you mean the DT 770, or DT 1770?

Anyway, I've only heard the DT 1990 of those you've mentioned, but I find the bass to be stellar with the B-pads. It reaches low, hits hard, and remains nuanced and controlled while doing so. For me it's an A+, 10/10.

I don't know how good their measurements are, but you can probably get some idea by playing around with the graphs at rtings.
Looks like the DT 1990 has more bass than the K712, but not as much as DT 770. I may be wrong (like I said, I've not heard them), but I'd guess the bump in the K712's mids will also make the bass sound like less.

Nov 22, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2,218 of 4,790

Personally I think the 1990 has the best bass of those you've mentioned, as you rightly say the K712 are rather flat, although my first reaction when I heard them was "thin", the DT 770 has slightly deeper bass than the 1990, but I would say the 1990 hits harder and has better definition, the Fidelio is the warmest of the four, has better bass than the K712, but from what I can remember, I would say not quite as good as the 1990.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back