Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,197 of 4,790
These and a Cowon plenue R are so end game, it’s ridiculous. After all these years, I can honestly these are the best headphones I have ever used. I get chills every time

Can you please clarify whether "these" refers to the post above yours (DT 1350), or the subject of the thread (DT 1990)?

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #2,200 of 4,790
Guys I really thought about portable option, I think I will not be happy with anything lesser than mighty 1990 so I'll be buying brother 1770, I think that's logical choice.
That’s exactly what I did. And IMO the 1770’s are ideal for portable use.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #2,202 of 4,790
Why is there such a huge treble spike in the mid treble in these headphones? It's scaring me and is frequently brought up. Are they trying to target a diffuse field curve? It was clearly not the Harman Kardon curve, so I'm wondering what drove them to do that.

If that wasn't present, I think they would be a lot more popular. I haven't heard these in person, but open back headphones do not usually have the bass response of this. It's a shame that treble is so up there though.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,203 of 4,790
Why is there such a huge treble spike in the mid treble in these headphones? It's scaring me and is frequently brought up. Are they trying to target a diffuse field curve? It was clearly not the Harman Kardon curve, so I'm wondering what drove them to do that.

If that wasn't present, I think they would be a lot more popular. I haven't heard these in person, but open back headphones do not usually have the bass response of this. It's a shame that treble is so up there though.
It is relative, I have gotten used to it.

In my knowledge they are indeed targeting diffused field curve and they attain a pretty great precision in terms of imaging accuracy. Only headphones that beat this precision, in my limited experience, are HD800, Empyrean & VOCE, probably ADX5000 though I am not too sure about it (long time since I heard it)

DT 1990 is one of the most technically capable headphones out there, it scales really well, it has it's own character but is also amazingly transparent to the signal chain.

I just wish it could do balanced :frowning2:

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,204 of 4,790
It is relative, I have gotten used to it.

In my knowledge they are indeed targeting diffused field curve and they attain a pretty great precision in terms of imaging accuracy. Only headphones that beat this precision, in my limited experience, are HD800, Empyrean & VOCE, probably ADX5000 though I am not too sure about it (long time since I heard it)

DT 1990 is one of the most technically capable headphones out there, it scales really well, it has it's own character but is also amazingly transparent to the signal chain.

I just wish it could do balanced :frowning2:

The treble definitely does have a lot to do with the imaging, when I had them I tried EQing the spike down but I just found that to hurt what the headphones did well. The soundstage collapsed, the imaging became more diffuse, and there was less perceivable detail. Once you EQ that spike down, you can see why Beyerdynamic tuned them the way they did. If you prefer a very bright signature I can see you getting along well with them, and the bass was certainly some of the best of any headphone I've heard. Just know what you are getting into.

Nov 12, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #2,205 of 4,790
Why is there such a huge treble spike in the mid treble in these headphones?
Beyerdynamic has been a major player in headphone design for decades. They did not arrive at the DT 1990 curve by accident. Their frequency response sounds great to me, but I could see where they would not suit others given their gear and/or listening preferences. I don't care for boosted midbass and recessed treble (e.g. Sennheiser HD 650).

I invited a friend over last week to hear my new Asgard 2 amp. He brought his Grado RS2e and Audeze LCD-4 headphones (he owns others as well). I specifically asked if he found the DT 1990 bright. He said "No, not at all". He liked the Audeze best, I preferred the DT 1990. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back