Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Nov 27, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #2,221 of 4,756
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #2,224 of 4,756
The headband on the 1990 isn't designed to be replaced.

Yes it can be replaced and it is designed to be replaced. What connects it to the earcups is the screws on the small circular things that connect the end of the yoke to the Earcups. The plastic adjuster pieces also need to be unscrewed to allow the headband cable to be removed from the headband.

Nov 28, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #2,225 of 4,756
Yes it can be replaced and it is designed to be replaced. What connects it to the earcups is the screws on the small circular things that connect the end of the yoke to the Earcups. The plastic adjuster pieces also need to be unscrewed to allow the headband cable to be removed from the headband.
would you know if i need to solder/desolder wires to remove the current headband seeing as the cable passes through it?

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,226 of 4,756
would you know if i need to solder/desolder wires to remove the current headband seeing as the cable passes through it?
You might check out those photos of disassembled earcups that you mentioned. See if you can tell whether the wires are soldered or attached some other way, like clip-in terminals.

Also, what part are you wanting to replace? The whole headband assembly or just some part of it? The only part I've found searching online is the metal bow. You may have to contact Beyerdynamic for other parts.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #2,227 of 4,756
You might check out those photos of disassembled earcups that you mentioned. See if you can tell whether the wires are soldered or attached some other way, like clip-in terminals.

Also, what part are you wanting to replace? The whole headband assembly or just some part of it? The only part I've found searching online is the metal bow. You may have to contact Beyerdynamic for other parts.

just the leather and foam padding inside, not the metal itself.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,228 of 4,756

Those plastic pieces where the serial number is and where you adjust the headband simply need to be unscrewed as well as the headband padding after you remove the plastic clasps. The cables simply feed through those plastic clasps and the headband padding. No soldering required. All you need to dissemble the headband is star screwdrivers I believe.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,229 of 4,756
Those plastic pieces where the serial number is and where you adjust the headband simply need to be unscrewed as well as the headband padding after you remove the plastic clasps. The cables simply feed through those plastic clasps and the headband padding. No soldering required. All you need to dissemble the headband is star screwdrivers I believe.
thank you!

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,230 of 4,756
just the leather and foam padding inside, not the metal itself.

That wire will still be attached to the earcups at both ends, though, so you won't be able to remove the old headband pad without cutting it or detaching the wires. Same goes for putting on a new pad. I suppose there's a possibility that the wire clips into the band itself... I kind of doubt that, though. Or you could leave the wire on the outside of the pad, but that wouldn't look as nice.

Your best bet is to start carefully disassembling it to have a look. You should probably make sure Beyer has all the replacement parts beforehand, just in case.

Nov 28, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,231 of 4,756
That wire will still be attached to the earcups at both ends, though, so you won't be able to remove the old headband pad without cutting it or detaching the wires. Same goes for putting on a new pad. I suppose there's a possibility that the wire clips into the band itself... I kind of doubt that, though. Or you could leave the wire on the outside of the pad, but that wouldn't look as nice.

Your best bet is to start carefully disassembling it to have a look. You should probably make sure Beyer has all the replacement parts beforehand, just in case.

The headband pad is easy to remove once you unscrew the plastic clasps. The headband padding is folded. At the bottom where the two bumps on padding is where they meet. When dissembled the headband wire will just connect the two earcups. The headband wire can also be replaced without soldering as it’s connected via a plug rather than solder. To replace the headband wire. You have to open up the earcups, disconnect from the driver(make sure to replace to the proper plug on the driver(there’s two) or it won’t sound right). There is also a metal clasp holding the headband wire to the inside of the Earcups. I had to replace a headband wire on the DT 1770 which is exactly the same to disassemble.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,232 of 4,756
The headband pad is easy to remove once you unscrew the plastic clasps. The headband padding is folded. At the bottom where the two bumps on padding is where they meet. When dissembled the headband wire will just connect the two earcups. The headband wire can also be replaced without soldering as it’s connected via a plug rather than solder. To replace the headband wire. You have to open up the earcups, disconnect from the driver(make sure to replace to the proper plug on the driver(there’s two) or it won’t sound right). There is also a metal clasp holding the headband wire to the inside of the Earcups. I had to replace a headband wire on the DT 1770 which is exactly the same to dissemble.
Good to know! I didn't realize you'd actually disassembled a similar headphone. I thought you were just guessing like I was.

Psst! The word you mean is "disassemble." "Dissemble" is another word meaning to conceal your true meaning and beliefs.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,233 of 4,756
Good to know! I didn't realize you'd actually disassembled a similar headphone. I thought you were just guessing like I was.

Psst! The word you mean is "disassemble." "Dissemble" is another word meaning to conceal your true meaning and beliefs.

The pictures of the DT 1990 opened up are likely the ones I posted. Beyers are quite modular by design and meant to be easily serviced. Their practical design also lends to some of the easiest/best headphones to mod well imho. On the DT 1770/1990 and Amiron Home, the internal cables are on the thin/fragile side so err the side of caution inside the earcups.

Thank you, been typing on my phone and don’t always pay the most attention to spelling and also autocorrect likes to force itself at times.

Nov 30, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #2,235 of 4,756
I got my DT 1990s today and have used for a couple songs. Nothing has played out as I expected.

First impression is that these are nowhere near as bright as I feared. Not sibilant one bit either, even songs that just beg to piece your ears LIKE THIS. I don't even find them "sharp" sounding either. I honestly at a loss of words. Everything I've read just panned out. It's the boogeyman that never existed for me in use. I could actually use a treble boost and would be fine with it, no joke. I don't have any hearing loss and have always taken care of my hearing too, so the "brightness" isn't just something I can deal with because brighter headphones fill that in.

I would say that I'm slightly disappointed with the soundstage ATM though. I often feel that with headphones, they are too narrow sounding or they have this effect of being too close to a speaker or them being too loud and things become unintelligible as a result. Maybe I have been jaded more than I really know after using my JBL LSR305's on everything for years (they are known for having a really wide waveguide). Am I really that soundstage whore that puts soundstage above everything else? Didn't like the KRK 8400 (waaaaay too compressed sounding), didn't like the DT 770 (much wider, but synthetic quality to the entire sound that distracts), didn't like the HD6XX (completely misses the soundstage mark e). I'm starting to wonder now. I want huge as hell, every single track isolated. This Hymn For The Weekend remix kind of illustrates the point: it's not a very wide song, but the first couple seconds it uses a lot of reverb and such to appear much larger. That intro sounds wide as **** with my LSR's. Am I insane?

I'm legit looking at HD700 now because they are supposed to be large soundstage headphones with a similar price. The ultimate pain of living in Vermont is there is nowhere to demo anything out. Driving to another state seems a bit ridiculous and would be stressful, but I never know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back