Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 26, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #2,117 of 4,782
First thing I'm gonna do is check the stitching on the headband, caress the cups then oh baby slide Erm ...Them on
Lol don't forget to give em a good sniff as well!. As for the bass, with B pads on and my best bassy tubes in my tube amp I can get a fab bass rumble out of them.

Oct 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,118 of 4,782
Not having heard the 1770's I really cannot compare but in this instance it is probably as simple as open vs closed. The 1770's may also be tuned differently.

Somebody else can chime in here but I'm not even sure if the drivers are the same.

1st track to listen too would be giorgio by moroder Random Access Memories Daft Punk. Any doubt about the bass would evaporate.
The drivers are exactly the same

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,123 of 4,782
I've used these for close to a year and I've loved them. However, lately I've found my self wanting more on the lower end. I want more bass, without losing clarity and detail. I've played with equalizer APO extensively and the results always end in muffled sound, loss of details and an unnatural sounding bass.

I've considered in going for a pair of dorkly looking Stax, one of the starter systems. Or going for a pair of planars, my options have been the LCD-X or LCD-2, maybe Hifiman if I can find a good deal on any of them.

If I wanto to keep the same detail and clarity on the DT-1990 but with even more bass what should I aim for?

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,124 of 4,782
I've used these for close to a year and I've loved them. However, lately I've found my self wanting more on the lower end. I want more bass, without losing clarity and detail. I've played with equalizer APO extensively and the results always end in muffled sound, loss of details and an unnatural sounding bass.

I've considered in going for a pair of dorkly looking Stax, one of the starter systems. Or going for a pair of planars, my options have been the LCD-X or LCD-2, maybe Hifiman if I can find a good deal on any of them.

If I wanto to keep the same detail and clarity on the DT-1990 but with even more bass what should I aim for?
You could do what I do. I'm using the Ifi Micro IDSD Black and just turn on the bass boost if I need a little pop. Might be cheaper than buying a different set of cans, especially if you can't try them before hand.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,125 of 4,782

I would highly suggest keep DT 1990 and get an amp to get that kick in the low end.

I always had the thought of letting go of the DT 1990 for something like Sundara.

After having tried DT 1990 with a lot of amps, I am amazed and awestruck every time to see how amazingly well this damn headphone scales up with the upgrades in the signal chain.

Recently I tried the Cayin HA-300 with Burson Play and DT 1990(A) and I got goosebumps with every song I tried. Replacing Burson Play with Chord Hugo M Scaler (highes sampling rate) + Chord Qutest (neutral filter) was just pure bliss and eargasm.

I am yet to find a headphone that maintains it's own characteristic sound but still has such an amazing transparency and resolution to reflect signal chain changes.

But if you really insist on more bass, I would say LCD-X is actually a great option. It's got quite a good amount of bass while keeping the details and texture. It just doesn't have that precise placement and separation of a diffused field tuned Dynamic driver.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,126 of 4,782

audeze has the bass but less detail (aside from lcd4 models). I'm all for stax but they're hard to recommend going into going blind, and the bass is...different.

maybe the Auteur? not sure what your budget range is but they're pretty neutral with a slightly warm tilt. plenty of detailed treble too

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,127 of 4,782
I would highly suggest keep DT 1990 and get an amp to get that kick in the low end.

I always had the thought of letting go of the DT 1990 for something like Sundara.

After having tried DT 1990 with a lot of amps, I am amazed and awestruck every time to see how amazingly well this damn headphone scales up with the upgrades in the signal chain.

Recently I tried the Cayin HA-300 with Burson Play and DT 1990(A) and I got goosebumps with every song I tried. Replacing Burson Play with Chord Hugo M Scaler (highes sampling rate) + Chord Qutest (neutral filter) was just pure bliss and eargasm.

I am yet to find a headphone that maintains it's own characteristic sound but still has such an amazing transparency and resolution to reflect signal chain changes.

But if you really insist on more bass, I would say LCD-X is actually a great option. It's got quite a good amount of bass while keeping the details and texture. It just doesn't have that precise placement and separation of a diffused field tuned Dynamic driver.

I got a Violectric V200, they certainly brought the kick on the low end, and the FIRE on the highs wich ended up balancing each other out. Thus I'm left looking for a new pair of cans.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #2,128 of 4,782
I got a Violectric V200, they certainly brought the kick on the low end, and the FIRE on the highs wich ended up balancing each other out. Thus I'm left looking for a new pair of cans.
If you are willing to, you could try Burson Play.

I recently found opamp configuration that reduces the harshness without loosing the details of the top-end. And there are many methods of fine tuning the sound of whatever opamp configuration you use.

What I have right now, I am going to fine tune it to have a bit more bass and darker background.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,130 of 4,782

What about the Dekoni ear pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back