Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 25, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,072 of 4,782
Not sure if to buy the beyerdynamic Dt 1990 today ?I'm in two minds

What's holding you back from buying? I have had these bad boys for a few hundred hours now and they sound absurdly good. Such an open airy sound with weighty bass and shimmering highs. Mids are somewhat recessed but very natural sounding; almost like a concert hall.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,073 of 4,782
Well are you all gonna welcome me to the club? ? I've just ordered my beyerdynamic Dt 1990 and they coming tomorrow, oh happy days!!! Just hope they don't pierce my ear drums with that screeching treble yikes! !!
I really hope you like them!! The soundstage and treble can be divisive, but I think they're absolutely phenomenal. Enjoy!

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #2,074 of 4,782
What's holding you back from buying? I have had these bad boys for a few hundred hours now and they sound absurdly good. Such an open airy sound with weighty bass and shimmering highs. Mids are somewhat recessed but very natural sounding; almost like a concert hall.
I've paid 500 quid to nintronics so my hugo TT 2 in black is coming next week, can't wait to hear these bad boys on it

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,075 of 4,782
Well are you all gonna welcome me to the club? ? I've just ordered my beyerdynamic Dt 1990 and they coming tomorrow, oh happy days!!! Just hope they don't pierce my ear drums with that screeching treble yikes! !!

No screeching treble here on mine! Just open and transparent. Best headphone in my little collection.

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2,076 of 4,782
No screeching treble here on mine! Just open and transparent. Best headphone in my little collection.
Mate I'm buzzing, I got a feeling they gonna be the bargain of the century, I was so close to getting the Dt 1770 but I'm more drawn to open headphones.Not told the Mrs yet.I tend to listen to my music through headphones when she in work so I can't find any reason to let her know really

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,077 of 4,782
Mate I'm buzzing, I got a feeling they gonna be the bargain of the century, I was so close to getting the Dt 1770 but I'm more drawn to open headphones.Not told the Mrs yet
The 1770’s are a great set of cans, but the 1990’s are superior IMO.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,079 of 4,782
Thank god for that then, thanks
100% agree, ive listend to a few good headphones in my time as an enthusiast and i absolutely love my DT1990 pros. i'll never sell them or trade them. i'm keeping them forever. even if beyer makes like a DT2990 Pro (like an updated one) i'll still keep them but buy the newer pair hehe.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #2,080 of 4,782
100% agree, ive listend to a few good headphones in my time as an enthusiast and i absolutely love my DT1990 pros. i'll never sell them or trade them. i'm keeping them forever. even if beyer makes like a DT2990 Pro (like an updated one) i'll still keep them but buy the newer pair hehe.
Thanks for the that mate, a bit of a virgin to beyerdynamic new models

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,081 of 4,782
Thanks for the that mate, a bit of a virgin to beyerdynamic new models
I will say some tips from when i bought my first pair.
1. make sure you have the power to drive them.
2. use the shorter(coiled) cable. its better and more convenient for desktop or casual listening at home.
3. inside the case, theres a little baggy that attaches to the inside of the cover. put cables/3.5 to 6.3 adapter all in that so you wont loose it.
4. take a good smell of the headphones/cables. smells like Germany lol.
5. keep in mind tesla drivers are a bit bright so it takes time getting used to that sound signature.
6. the cups are a bit stiff at first but let them loosen naturally over time with use. dont loosen them with a tool as it might become too loose.
7. mini xlr plug is a bit stiff to put in and take out of at first (because its new) but over time becomes easier to take out and put in.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,082 of 4,782
I will say some tips from when i bought my first pair.
1. make sure you have the power to drive them.
2. use the shorter(coiled) cable. its better and more convenient for desktop or casual listening at home.
3. inside the case, theres a little baggy that attaches to the inside of the cover. put cables/3.5 to 6.3 adapter all in that so you wont loose it.
4. take a good smell of the headphones/cables. smells like Germany lol.
5. keep in mind tesla drivers are a bit bright so it takes time getting used to that sound signature.
6. the cups are a bit stiff at first but let them loosen naturally over time with use. dont loosen them with a tool as it might become too loose.
7. mini xlr plug is a bit stiff to put in and take out of at first (because its new) but over time becomes easier to take out and put in.
Mate your a bloody star thank you, I always sniff new gear lol. Can I ask what pads do you prefer? I've heard they are an absolute nightmare to change?

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #2,083 of 4,782
Mate your a bloody star thank you, I always sniff new gear lol. Can I ask what pads do you prefer? I've heard they are an absolute nightmare to change?
oh yeah i forgot to mention, you will get aggrivated when changing pads. as that stupid cut in the lip for you to slide the plastic seal over and twist is terribly annoying. it took me a few tries because it was hard to do when the pads are brand new and not fully broken in yet.
just breath and take it slow, thats how i figured it out. also make sure as your twisting to follow around the edge of the cup to make sure its sitting in the groove.

I personally prefer the A pads over the B pads. but thats just me :)

heres a video that i used to figure out how to put and take off the pads for mine better. (i dont use tissue at all, just gotta have tiny bit of dexterity.)

its at the 6:20 mark.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,084 of 4,782
oh yeah i forgot to mention, you will get aggrivated when changing pads. as that stupid cut in the lip for you to slide the plastic seal over and twist is terribly annoying. it took me a few tries because it was hard to do when the pads are brand new and not fully broken in yet.
just breath and take it slow, thats how i figured it out. also make sure as your twisting to follow around the edge of the cup to make sure its sitting in the groove.

I personally prefer the A pads over the B pads. but thats just me :)

heres a video that i used to figure out how to put and take off the pads for mine better. (i dont use tissue at all, just gotta have tiny bit of dexterity.)

its at the 6:20 mark.

Oh happy days mate, I've heard it comes with the balanced pads so know I'm gonna have to change them but I do like more bass

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #2,085 of 4,782
Oh happy days mate, I've heard it comes with the balanced pads so know I'm gonna have to change them but I do like more bass
if you like more bass, keep the balanced ones. im not a huge bass person, thats why i switched to A pads :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back