Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 22, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,058 of 4,790
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #2,060 of 4,790
A coil without a former I think that's something radical don't you?Focal have been at it how long? Beyerdynamic 1939 yes? Sennheiser 1940 's yes,focal was it 2015 ?
Per the Focal website:
"Focal has been creating benchmark acoustic equipment since 1979 for various high fidelity markets such as home audio loudspeakers, headphones, car speaker drivers and monitoring loudspeakers."
It's not like they came out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,061 of 4,790
Still wanna hear the Dt 1990 though

Get back to us when you do.

Focal are the new players and have ridden the hype train to the max and are just as likely to pull out of the headphone market without any warning whatsoever and concentrate on their core business model, whereas Sennheiser and Beyerdymanic will more than likely be still around. I mean their market share would be minuscule and as soon as the crazy profit margins are gone so will they be.

That's my prediction.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #2,062 of 4,790
It depends on what you primarily listen to and what sort of sound signature you're after. If it's mostly live stuff or material that's well-recorded in a studio, then I'd say yes. I find the timbre of guitars on the DT1990 to be pretty addictive, for example, but can't say I get the same enjoyment out of Hip-Hop or stuff that relies more heavily on synthesized music. They're a brutally honest pair of open-backs, so I'd lean more towards saying there's options out there that would be better suited purely for listening...unless you want something that's extremely clinical.
I listen to compressed music from YouTube and Google Play, rips of my CD's and vinyl, hi-rez PCM and DSD downloads; rock, blues, jazz, classical, new age and more. The DT 1990 Pro is brilliant with all of it. I use the Analytical pads because they are more accurate. I want to hear all of the music, and the production values, exactly as recorded. I don't need or want my gear to editorialize. The 1990's get all of the sound, and I enjoy them immensely. I have no interest in the warm and dull HD 650 type of sound that so many people love. The 1990 Pros are the end of the line and top of the heap for me.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #2,063 of 4,790
the DT1990 is amazing Paul. and I have Utopia and waiting for Ether 2. will still use DT1990.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear mate, I would assume the Utopia would be more like the Dt 1990 but then you wouldn't keep both, it's also great your gonna get the Ether 2 so maybe we can have different headphones for say different moods, thanks for your reply mate and sorry for the rant last night

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2,064 of 4,790
Get back to us when you do.

Focal are the new players and have ridden the hype train to the max and are just as likely to pull out of the headphone market without any warning whatsoever and concentrate on their core business model, whereas Sennheiser and Beyerdymanic will more than likely be still around. I mean their market share would be minuscule and as soon as the crazy profit margins are gone so will they be.

That's my prediction.
Maybe your right mate maybe it's all hype, different headphone manufacturers for different ears hey?

Oct 23, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #2,065 of 4,790
I only want to put here this: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/beyer/dt880.html
2005 review, (13 years ago!) of the DT880 250Ohm, look at the description on how the sound is presented and how the general FR is perceived.
Reviewer's source is Meridian G07, amplifier is Headamp GS-1.
My source is Linn Akurate CD, amplifier is Lehmann Audio Linear.
I think is fair to say not to far apart from each other.
Read my conclusions of the first pair of DT1990 I bought in this very thread. Compare it with what this reviewer said.

Be wise, test and listen first whatever you plan to buy and, if possible, buy what you are testing and not another unit in a closed box.

My second unit was exactly the same standard mild V shape thing, tone, soundstage, general clarity and presentation, busy bright (I mean electrical noise collectors) as most of other units from the DT770/880/990 reported ad infinitum. The first one was perceived as an over driven, over tighten, over pushy unit, collapsing the soundscape left and right and with very serious bass control difficulties. But the shouty, in your face, super forward , sparkly and detailed high-mids and low-treble did wonders with Violin pieces and concertos. And very dramatic, the opposite to the second, 'I feel underpowered' unit.

So far, going in time forward and backwards, in this thread and in many others through internet, the two presentations appear here and there, randomly. For this model and for any other model in the DT770/880/990 range, including DT1770, that is also presented as exactly the same thing to the DT770.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,066 of 4,790
Do ppl have them dreams were it's sitting in front of you but nothing happens? I had both the beyerdynamic Dt 1770 and Dt 1990 in my hands and as I went to listen I woke up!Pain in the backside being pro headphones as I can't get to demo them before I buy them

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,068 of 4,790
can anyone comment on how the 1990 compares to the HE560?
I have the Hd650 and HE560 and they are both worth owning, a bright, airy planar and warm thick dynamic are almost complete opposites though, not sure if the Dt1990 would feel like a mix of both HPs or like something different entirely.

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #2,069 of 4,790
can anyone comment on how the 1990 compares to the HE560?
I have the Hd650 and HE560 and they are both worth owning, a bright, airy planar and warm thick dynamic are almost complete opposites though, not sure if the Dt1990 would feel like a mix of both HPs or like something different entirely.
I'll try, seeing as I used to have both of the one's that you currently have. I find the 1990 to be brighter and more analytical than either of them. I'll tell you that I preferred the 560's to the 650's (personal tastes). And as you can guess, I sold both and kept the 1990's because I like them more than either of them. Now, I know I said the 1990's are brighter, but I don't find them to be painfully so. I just think that over all, they offer better sound quality than either. I know I haven't gotten into specifics much. I'm not very good at describing such things. I'll leave that for someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back