Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #2,041 of 4,776
With beyerdynamic it's so confusing, even you experts can't decide, how has this company survived as long as it has?

This frequency response curve from this review proves it:
https://sonarworks.com/blog/headphone-review-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation/
As I say, you either love it, or you hate it.

The FR response doesn't really prove it, especially if there is a revision with a headphone and differences in measurement gear. I do not trust measurement gear with treble measurements as treble measurements are the hardest to reliably measure, especially since treble is very heavily affected by the shape of one's ear canals. Treble measurements have been very inconsistent with my own listening experiences. One really needs to listen to the headphones to determine if they like them or not.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #2,042 of 4,776
Focal have blew the doors and the cobwebs off the headphone world, they have rattled the other long standing headphone companies, beyerdynamic T1.2 pathetic, sennheiser Hd800 s,sound familiar, like buying a iPhone, don't get me wrong I owned the so called best the focal utopia and couldn't wait to sell it

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,043 of 4,776
The FR response doesn't really prove it, especially if there is a revision with a headphone and differences in measurement gear. I do not trust measurement gear with treble measurements as treble measurements are the hardest to reliably measure, especially since treble is very heavily affected by the shape of one's ear canals. Treble measurements have been very inconsistent with my own listening experiences.
And here we are again:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf
Believe what you want to believe, but the T1.2 DOES have a prominent upper-mid frequency response profile. AND you can hear it.
But anyway, wasn’t this supposed to be the 1990 thread!?

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #2,044 of 4,776
Focal have blew the doors and the cobwebs off the headphone world, they have rattled the other long standing headphone companies, beyerdynamic T1.2 pathetic, sennheiser Hd800 s,sound familiar, like buying a iPhone, don't get me wrong I owned the so called best the focal utopia and couldn't wait to sell it

The Focal headphones sound a lot like the old Beyerdynamic DT 48/480. In fact a modified DT 480 destroyed the Focal Elear for me.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #2,047 of 4,776
Sorry, your post doesn’t make any sense whatsoever??
What exactly is your point? (if there is one?)

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,048 of 4,776
And here we are again:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicT1.pdf
Believe what you want to believe, but the T1.2 DOES have a prominent upper-mid frequency response profile. AND you can hear it.
But anyway, wasn’t this supposed to be the 1990 thread!?

In those measurements and maybe on those pairs, but i'm finding the upper mids far more prominent on my HD 660 S than my T1.2. Tyll's measurements rarely aligned with my listening experiences. It is, but I was mentioned the T1.2 in relation to the DT 1990, went off topic though.

The Elear was a complete joke to me

The Elear had a small midrange image(all the voices and instruments sounded small in physical size) and this weird sparkly treble. I was referring to more of the driver characteristics and how it portrayed imaging, etc. FR response is only part of the equation with sound quality and it can be tweaked with EQ, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,049 of 4,776
Sorry, your post doesn’t make any sense whatsoever??
What exactly is your point? (if there is one?)
That these companies aren't investing in improving their products, they fell asleep and focal took all of them by storm, that's my point.Focal could destroy the competition if they only tuned their headphones differently but they French STUBBORN.Moral of the story is. .no perfect headphone out there, to be honest I hate headphones but I'm searching for something that puts speakers to bed.Wanna listen to headphones and not think about taking them off and listening to my speakers,is that clear enough for you Kelly?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2,050 of 4,776
That these companies aren't investing in improving their products, they fell asleep and focal took all of them by storm, that's my point

Well honestly headphone driver technology hasn't really improved, the technology has been matured for decades. Focal doesn't offer as much new as you would think either, but I think they have helped stir some companies to take driver production more seriously. I find the biggest improvements have been in tuning and implementation of the drivers over the years. Technology progresses at a much slower rate than many realize if they progress at all, especially a mature technology such as headphone or speaker drivers. There hasn't been anything truly revolutionary headphone driver wise. I wouldn't expect any huge improvements unless someone stumbles across and implements something truly revolutionary.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,051 of 4,776
Well honestly headphone driver technology hasn't really improved, the technology has been matured for decades. Focal doesn't offer as much new as you would think either, but I think they have helped stir some companies to take driver production more seriously. I find the biggest improvements have been in tuning and implementation of the drivers over the years. Technology progresses at a much slower rate than many realize if they progress at all, especially a mature technology such as dynamic headphone or speaker drivers. There hasn't been anything revolutionary headphone driver wise. I wouldn't expect any huge improvements unless someone stumbles across something truly revolutionary.
A coil without a former I think that's something radical don't you?Focal have been at it how long? Beyerdynamic 1939 yes? Sennheiser 1940 's yes,focal was it 2015 ?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,052 of 4,776
A coil without a former I think that's something radical don't you?Focal have been at it how long? Beyerdynamic 1939 yes? Sennheiser 1940 's yes,focal was it 2015 ?

Look at the DT 48 driver, the original dynamic driver, it's unique compared to modern drivers. Beyers most revolutionary driver is their first. 1937 for Beyer when they first made the DT 48. Not sure what Sennheisers first headphone is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back