Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,471 of 4,782
Can't say I'm that surprised, my main reason for getting a different cable was more practical, not overly keen on the cables that come with the 1990, I use the coiled cable, but it flops about all over the place, so was after something a bit shorter and if it sounded better then that would be an added bonus.
I don’t like the supplied cables, so I bought a longer 4m Cardas Cross to use with my 1990’s. Can’t say I notice any great difference in SQ, but it’s easier to use/manage than the stock cables IMO.

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,473 of 4,782
That looks a good cable, thanks for the pic!
Same here. I just wanted a lighter, more personal cable. I don't really believe in the 500$ cable that can make my headphones sound better. Different sure, better I don't know. Although I have never tried a 500$ cable to verify so what do I know.
No neither have I, and I'm certainly not going to spend that much just to find out! lol

Feb 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,474 of 4,782
I don’t like the supplied cables, so I bought a longer 4m Cardas Cross to use with my 1990’s. Can’t say I notice any great difference in SQ, but it’s easier to use/manage than the stock cables IMO.
This was my reason for looking for a new cable, one that's easier to manage, I'm a bit of a Beyer fan, I also have the 770 and 990 which are also great sounding cans, I've also owned several others and my biggest gripe has always been the cable.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #1,475 of 4,782
Feb 8, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,476 of 4,782
Feb 8, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,477 of 4,782
The only issue I have with the DT1990s is that they are so detailed; they really show the flaws in suboptimal recordings.

I received Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra CD for Christmas, and listening to these tracks on the DT1990s was fun, for sure, but everything was mastered with such a heavy hand that it was spoilt a bit.

As an experiment, I listened to the CD through my V-Moda M-100s (which Pete Tong wears on the cover - perhaps he mastered the tracks with these on?) and because the V-Modas lack detail, it was as if I heard the tracks as they were meant to be heard.

Obviously this isn't a complaint about the DT1990s, which I use every day, but they are *so* detailed (through the Mojo) that you can hear clearly where the mastering is problematic.
hahahahah I feel the same way, but I kinda like to hear the "imperfections" in the records/mixing, it shows me what can be better and how subjective music can be.

Feb 9, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,478 of 4,782
That looks a good cable, thanks for the pic!

No neither have I, and I'm certainly not going to spend that much just to find out! lol
Pretty stiff at first but softens up pretty quick. Impact Audio cables shipped them to me in Germany with a much lower price on the customs form to avoid charges. I believe 35$.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,480 of 4,782
Thanks for letting me know @cardeli22 . Going on past experience I think that would take the total cost, including customs to well under £100. Think I might have to get one! :beyersmile:
His low price claim on the outer customs form of the package made sure it arrived at my house not the Customs office.

Feb 9, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #1,481 of 4,782
That's very good, sounds like a helpful guy, customs charges have put me off buying many things, but sounds like this guy is very helpful, which, hopefully, will lessen the shock of customs charges!.
His low price claim on the outer customs form of the package made sure it arrived at my house not the Customs office.

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #1,482 of 4,782
That's very good, sounds like a helpful guy, customs charges have put me off buying many things, but sounds like this guy is very helpful, which, hopefully, will lessen the shock of customs charges!.
Yeah that no charge from customs gave him the seal of approval from the misses. Always a good thing.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,485 of 4,782
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as to how I see it. The sweet spot for me is around 400 - 600 bucks - anything more than that then it's less about technical sound quality, and more about personal preference.

If you go back to 2005, before Dre & Iovine worked out they could sell blinged out 30 buck headphones for over 10 times that amount, you'd be hard pressed to find much in the way of headphones above $500 - the Sennheiser Orpheus being a notable exception. The top dogs at the time, AKG K7 series (701 at the time), Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Sennheiser HD650, are all still in production, are all still under $500, are still highly rated, and still have a massive following.

Of course when the established and upcoming headphone manufacturers observed that Beats were able to sell utter rubbish at criminal prices to fashionistas, and in process pretty much steal 50% of headphone market practically overnight, then everybody and their dogs wanted a piece of that pie. And there began the price hyperinflation of headphones.

For me I'm totally happy with my DT1990 and Mojo combination, and I see absolutely no need, and have absolutely no desire to buy into anything more expensive - I've heard the LCD 4, Utopia, and HD800S through a DAVE, and I'm not convinced that they are significantly better than what I already have. Different yes, but better - no not really, not to my ears.
I felt the same about the Utopias I bought,never got goose bumps listening to them so sold them,I recently bought the flare pro in ears and I'm getting goose bumps again this is through the Hugo 2 which I recently bought too,I'm thinking of buying the beyerdynamic t5p second generation but I'm intrigued about the 1990 and wonder what your thoughts about the two models,I know one is professional and the other domestic and one is closed and the other open design but I can get them at a similar price and not sure which one to go for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back