1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Jul 19, 2016.
First

Back
88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108
Next

Last
  1. Chris1975

Yeah, agreed. I came from AKG7XXs which I really liked, but the DT1990s are a few steps up. I even sent my Sennheiser 650s back, having compared them with the DT1990s

Essence STX likes this.
  2. Chris1975
    The only issue I have with the DT1990s is that they are so detailed; they really show the flaws in suboptimal recordings.

I received Pete Tong and the Heritage Orchestra CD for Christmas, and listening to these tracks on the DT1990s was fun, for sure, but everything was mastered with such a heavy hand that it was spoilt a bit.

As an experiment, I listened to the CD through my V-Moda M-100s (which Pete Tong wears on the cover - perhaps he mastered the tracks with these on?) and because the V-Modas lack detail, it was as if I heard the tracks as they were meant to be heard.

Obviously this isn't a complaint about the DT1990s, which I use every day, but they are *so* detailed (through the Mojo) that you can hear clearly where the mastering is problematic.

Wilashort, Essence STX and Scutey like this.
  3. Slim1970
    I initially ran my DT1990's through the Mojo and found they sounded good but bright and overly detailed. It was too much of a good thing. I much prefer them with my iFi Micro iDSD BL. My DT1990's had a much better tone to them while still retaining their detail, clairty and low end.

Essence STX, Ferrosa and cardeli22 like this.
  4. cardeli22
    I just noticied. He tends to shut down his store when he is overloaded with orders. I have written to him to see if he is still making the akg style plug (which works with the 1990 pro).

5. Hifiearspeakers
    Where did you order from to get them for $400?

6. Armando Cruz
    "to be honest there doesn't seem to be too much around, I had a look a few months ago and drew a blank, it seems to be either cheap or expensive with not much in between, this is the sort of thing you can get but as you will see it's very expensive!"

Hi Scutey, much appreciated for your answer(spot on!). I drew a blank my self as well:) I'm completely satisfied with the performance of my 1990 already. If I buy one of those cables , do you think I will have a significant improvement? Have you tried them?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  7. Scutey
    Hi Armando.

I haven't tried either of those, reason being imo, the cost totally outweighs any improvements, if any, I think if I need another cable I'll either go with a cheap one or another Beyer cable. Hope this helps!.

Armando Cruz likes this.
  8. Armando Cruz
    It did help Scutey! I already have seen 100 pound cables doing a big difference on a Headphone . 180? Thinking better,I don't want to know... Thanks!

Scutey likes this.
  9. cardeli22
    Scutey and Armando Cruz like this.
  10. Scutey
    That's a good point Chris, I found the same thing, they are just so transparent and revealing, that they highlight every defect and making older recordings sound dated, some of my music I won't listen to with them because they make them sound so bad, despite this I still love em though!.

Chris1975 and cardeli22 like this.
  11. Scutey
    cardeli22 and Armando Cruz like this.
  12. Chris1975
    I spoke to BeyerDynamic about such cables, by the way, and I was told that having been tried, they don't make any serious difference and are a bit of a con (not the man's exact words, but the gist)

13. Scutey
    Can't say I'm that surprised, my main reason for getting a different cable was more practical, not overly keen on the cables that come with the 1990, I use the coiled cable, but it flops about all over the place, so was after something a bit shorter and if it sounded better then that would be an added bonus.

14. cardeli22
    cable.jpg

Scutey likes this.
  15. cardeli22
    Same here. I just wanted a lighter, more personal cable. I don't really believe in the 500$ cable that can make my headphones sound better. Different sure, better I don't know. Although I have never tried a 500$ cable to verify so what do I know.

First

Back
88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97
99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108
Next

Last