Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #751 of 4,780
What's impressive is that it has an almost Stax level of transparency together with dynamic punch.

I remember being worried about clamp pressure but it doesn't bother me at all. A different fit than the Amiron but still very comfortable. Your comparison review was spot on. I seem to be following your lead with headphones, lol. Great recommendations so far though.

It does have amazing transparency and that dynamic punch it has is awesome. How do you feel about the Amiron and DT 1990 compared to the Z1R? 

It seems to distribute the clamp just right. I like how the DT 1990's headband fits my head more. Thank you. I haven't been thinking about new headphones lately actually, that's how satisfied I've been with the DT 1990 and Amiron. As well as the DT 480 but it's still a work in progress. I'm just playing the waiting game now and see what comes out in the future. I really don't think I can get this satisfaction from a headphone for less than these new Beyers. I notice some people complain about their treble, sadly I don't think these headphones will get the attention they deserve and may even be misunderstood.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #752 of 4,780
Too early to do full comparisons but it is definitely something I'd like to do. The Z1R sub-bass is amazing so don't think the 1990 will compete in that department but I can tell already it holds its own in other aspects. The Z1R is noticeabley darker sounding but that could largely be because of the closed design.

By the way is it difficult to change the pads? I'd like to try the analytical ones. I know most people prefer the balanced pads that are pre-installed.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #753 of 4,780
Too early to do full comparisons but it is definitely something I'd like to do. The Z1R sub-bass is amazing so don't think the 1990 will compete in that department but I can tell already it holds its own in other aspects. The Z1R is noticeabley darker sounding but that could largely be because of the closed design.

By the way is it difficult to change the pads? I'd like to try the analytical ones. I know most people prefer the balanced pads that are pre-installed.

Wouldn't expect it to beat the sub-bass of that. Doesn't surprise me you find the Z1R darker, the DT 1990 runs on the bright side of neutral to my ears. It could I do find many closed-backs to generally sound darker than open-backs. 

Not really, just pull them off, and feed the analytical ones on the little groove. The manual shows you how to do it as well. Can be a little annoying the first couple times. It's more annoying taking off the Amiron pads. The Amiron uses the same system, but the pads have a double-lip thing which makes it harder to take off and put on. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #754 of 4,780
https://youtu.be/JXpuyCIJEPg

This video shows the best way to replace the earpads :D I messed up at the first time and my analytical pads were torn apart actually. Fortunately beyer UK offered me a replacement pair for free when I asked them, really friendly and kind people.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #755 of 4,780

How large is the sound stage on these and how hard does the bottom hit?

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #756 of 4,780
How large is the sound stage on these and how hard does the bottom hit?

I don't know what your references are but you won't get a deep low end rumble. What you get is tight and accurate bass. Probably more bass quantity than most other Beyerdynamic models. The Amiron has more bass but it is looser.

Soundstage is hard to describe. It's an open design so you'll get a nice spacious sound with excellent instrument separation. Not Sennheiser HD800 like soundstage but wide enough. The 1990 has an upfront and dynamic sound and nothing feels distant so there is necessarily some compromise on soundstage.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #757 of 4,780
Maybe the earlier Tesla full size headphones, but with the current generation, especially the DT1770 and the DT1990, there's not much lacking in the way of bass.

Today I found a returned pair of DT 1770 Pros on sale and bought them. My initial impression is that Beyerdynamic has not been able to fix the Tesla bass issue with these phones. Upper bass is there but it makes the lack of deeper end even more frustrating. Switching to pleather pads seems to 'muffle' the sound in a way that makes the thumping is a bit more even. Otherwise I am pretty satisfied with them even if I am not a fan of closed headphones. (But these cans are so pretty...)

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #759 of 4,780
https://youtu.be/JXpuyCIJEPg

This video shows the best way to replace the earpads
biggrin.gif
I messed up at the first time and my analytical pads were torn apart actually. Fortunately beyer UK offered me a replacement pair for free when I asked them, really friendly and kind people.

thanks for this...

I might prefer the analytical pads over the balanced.  They are actually more comfortable and seem to offer a bit of a crisper sound.  Not a huge difference though. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #760 of 4,780
  Does anyone know where the best place to get the D1990? Can't seem to find a good deal online.

The best price I've found yet is 479€ brand new on bax shop in Belgium and the Netherlands. It doesn't make sense though because they also have websites in germany, sweden, france, italy, spain etc and the price is 599€ everywhere, except in belgium and the netherlands. And it is not like they are refurbished or anything, they're brand new. Makes me want to buy them so much !

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #761 of 4,780
Hey there, I would also like to drop some quick questions regarding the DT 1990 Pro!

So, currently I'm rocking the DT 990 Edition 600 ohm with a Audio-GD NFB-11 dac-amp.

I was wondering if the DT 1990  was worth it to switch from the DT 990? And would the NFB be fine with the DT 1990?

Thanks!

With kind regards,

Krustaf

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #762 of 4,780
Hi everyone, I've got questions for those who've got to try these headphones (Beyerdynamic T90, DT1990, Sennheiser HD800S) as I currently own the T90 and so far I've never been that much satisfied with an headphone, and like them even slightly more since I've replaced my portable (Fiio E12) amp for the newer (Fiio A5) 2 days ago that's paired on a (Fiio X5 ii).

I went today at the highest-end audio store of my city and unfortunately they didn't have any Beyer over there, I didn't want to care much about the AudioQuest headphones as I had never heard until today that they did headphone and from their snake oil cables for up to 1000$ which I've tryed at home last week and did 0% improvement, I had no more trust in them, but hey the store had the HD800 and HD800S that I wished to try for so long! Of course however it was hard to demo them standing still with the manager 2 meter away watching me and 15 min before the store close lol, but I very quickly got to try them and really quickly I've found "unfortunately" that the HD800S sounded better than the non-S version (-_-). Sure it is the most confortable headphone I've ever worn, though I can still wear the T90 for houres without issue but seriously guys why the **** is the HD800S so damn expensive!?

The first thing that I've noticed was a larger, perhaps improved or just different "since it his mostly personnal perception" soundstage than what I had previously listened at. This sure amazed me but is this worth 1350$USD before taxes when the T90 which is prolly 90% of the DT1990, can be had for a ridiculously cheap 350$! While I did love them the 2 minutes I've listened at it, I doubt it is a 1000$ improvement on what I already have :/

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #763 of 4,780
Hi everyone, I've got questions for those who've got to try these headphones [COLOR=FF0000](Beyerdynamic T90, DT1990, Sennheiser HD800S) [/COLOR]as I currently own the T90 and so far I've never been that much satisfied with an headphone, and like them even slightly more since I've replaced my portable (Fiio E12) amp for the newer (Fiio A5) 2 days ago that's paired on a (Fiio X5 ii).

I went today at the highest-end audio store of my city and unfortunately they didn't have any Beyer over there, I didn't want to care much about the AudioQuest headphones as I had never heard until today that they did headphone and from their snake oil cables for up to 1000$ which I've tryed at home last week and did 0% improvement, I had no more trust in them, but hey the store had the HD800 and HD800S that I wished to try for so long! Of course however it was hard to demo them standing still with the manager 2 meter away watching me and 15 min before the store close lol, but I very quickly got to try them and really quickly I've found "unfortunately" that the HD800S sounded better than the non-S version (-_-). Sure it is the most confortable headphone I've ever worn, though I can still wear the T90 for houres without issue but seriously guys why the **** is the HD800S so damn expensive!?

The first thing that I've noticed was a larger, perhaps improved or just different "since it his mostly personnal perception" soundstage than what I had previously listened at. This sure amazed me but is this worth 1350$USD before taxes when the T90 which is prolly 90% of the DT1990, can be had for a ridiculously cheap 350$! While I did love them the 2 minutes I've listened at it, I doubt it is a 1000$ improvement on what I already have :/

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head as to how I see it. The sweet spot for me is around 400 - 600 bucks - anything more than that then it's less about technical sound quality, and more about personal preference.

If you go back to 2005, before Dre & Iovine worked out they could sell blinged out 30 buck headphones for over 10 times that amount, you'd be hard pressed to find much in the way of headphones above $500 - the Sennheiser Orpheus being a notable exception. The top dogs at the time, AKG K7 series (701 at the time), Beyerdynamic DT880 and the Sennheiser HD650, are all still in production, are all still under $500, are still highly rated, and still have a massive following.

Of course when the established and upcoming headphone manufacturers observed that Beats were able to sell utter rubbish at criminal prices to fashionistas, and in process pretty much steal 50% of headphone market practically overnight, then everybody and their dogs wanted a piece of that pie. And there began the price hyperinflation of headphones.

For me I'm totally happy with my DT1990 and Mojo combination, and I see absolutely no need, and have absolutely no desire to buy into anything more expensive - I've heard the LCD 4, Utopia, and HD800S through a DAVE, and I'm not convinced that they are significantly better than what I already have. Different yes, but better - no not really, not to my ears.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #764 of 4,780
  Hi everyone, I've got questions for those who've got to try these headphones (Beyerdynamic T90, DT1990, Sennheiser HD800S) as I currently own the T90 and so far I've never been that much satisfied with an headphone, and like them even slightly more since I've replaced my portable (Fiio E12) amp for the newer (Fiio A5) 2 days ago that's paired on a (Fiio X5 ii).

consider yourself lucky if you like the T-90 and don't feel the HD800/S is worth the cost.   I wouldn't even call the HD800/S the most comfortable headphones, SRH-1840/1540, HD700 and HE400i/560 are even more comfortable to me.

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #765 of 4,780
I would say the 1990 could easily be over $1,000 based on sound quality and build and in comparison with other offerings in the high end range but thankfully it is priced reasonably. It also so good as to make me less than enthused about trying new and more expensive open headphones. I briefly auditioned the 800S and while it is no doubt a great headphone with huge soundstage (almost to the point of being unnatural though) the 1990 offers just as much clarity and balance and arguably better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back