Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #723 of 4,768
I listened to that song with my Sony Z7 and my 1990s and compared, there is some fuzz on the bass, but that is a rack unit doing that.
There is no distortion on either of the headphones, so I think you would be well served with the 1990s, I was surprised at how good that song sounded with them.
I had 3D+ Off and XBass+ On   I pushed them pretty darn loud too.  Then switched out headphones to see if there was any difference.  It sounded good on the 1990s as well as the Z7, but the 1990s were a little more clear in upper mids.  The bass was great, definitely feel it.

I hope this helps. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #725 of 4,768
Just listened to the song with my Nighthawks (EQed about 3db boost to 10-70hz) and the ifi nano LE and no distortion. But imo i wouldn read too much into it when you use some sort of bass boost (if you dont lower pre amplify at the same time)

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #726 of 4,768
I was going to try the NH also, but figured I would use the Z7 and 1990 to compare.
I don't have any eq on my Mac which is where I played that.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #727 of 4,768
Just listened to the song with my Nighthawks (EQed about 3db boost to 10-70hz) and the ifi nano LE and no distortion. But imo i wouldn read too much into it when you use some sort of bass boost (if you dont lower pre amplify at the same time)

I agree with that.
But I think if you have a 500€ Hp that can handle some boost without rattle,it's a good plus when you are in the party mood.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #728 of 4,768
I find bass is not a problem with the DT 1990, they can really get going on the right system or with some EQ. I find my DT 1990 doesn't distort at all at listenable volumes and it can hit like a sledgehammer on the right track. I find the Nighthawks have more bass and are even harder to distort but I don't find the bass as punchy as the DT 1990's.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #729 of 4,768
I agree with that.
But I think if you have a 500€ Hp that can handle some boost without rattle,it's a good plus when you are in the party mood.

the problem is not the headphones that cant play more bass, its the source which is already distorted so the headphones can only play what its given. but i would guess that the idsd micro black should have some advanced EQ technique which wouldnt just amplify bass frequencies (which results in distortion)

I find bass is not a problem with the DT 1990, they can really get going on the right system or with some EQ. I find my DT 1990 doesn't distort at all at listenable volumes and it can hit like a sledgehammer on the right track. I find the Nighthawks have more bass and are even harder to distort but I don't find the bass as punchy as the DT 1990's.

exactly what my ears are telling me too ^^

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #730 of 4,768
  the problem is not the headphones that cant play more bass, its the source which is already distorted so the headphones can only play what its given. but i would guess that the idsd micro black should have some advanced EQ technique which wouldnt just amplify bass frequencies (which results in distortion)

exactly what my ears are telling me too ^^

Yeah. I personally prefer the DT 1990 for music listening and I find them more euphoric despite the Beyers drier less liquid sound. Despite not expecting it to, the DT 1990 replaced the Hawks despite it's quite different sound signature, the Hawks just got kinda ignored as I automatically went for the DT 1990 of the two without realizing it. The Hawks weren't really relaxing and soft sounding, very liquid and smooth but not soft like say the HD 650. Oddly that's where the Amiron Home filled in the role despite me expecting it to be a replacement for the DT 1990, it ended up being an excellent compliment as it has that soft and relaxed HD 650-like sound.

Those expecting the DT 1990 and Amiron Home to sound alike, don't. They are very different animals. 

Mar 5, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #732 of 4,768
Thanks for the comparison,i got the dt1990 and i think i will stuck with it :)

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #734 of 4,768
Could someone with experience of both the DT1990, with analytic pads, and T1 (1st gen) give some input about the difference in sound between them? Most of the comparisons I can find are with the T1.2.

I have the opportunity to buy a used T1 for just a tad cheaper than a new 1990, but I've no chance to listen to either of them beforehand. Looking for a set of cans for music production, but also as much for just enjoying music. The styles varies from blasting fast death metal to ambient electronic to trip hop. Very little music with brass instruments though. I mostly use my studio monitors but my room treatment isn't the best at the moment. I need something that is analytic and revealing, for example for fine adjusting compression, but at the same time musical. If I don't like to listen to music on the cans I'm not going to use them that much, and then I really can't use them for reference since I'm not totally familiar with their sound signature.

At the moment I have the closed back AKG 271 mkII that I use mainly for recording purposes. Maybe not the best cans for production; not that flat and very shy in the bass, but good at showing minute errors that my speakers/room "hides".  How is the bass on T1.1 vs 1990 with analytic pads?
(I actually just bought the Denon AH-D2000 for some more bass heavy cans for "fun listening". Still waiting for them to arrive in the mail.)

Seems like everyone just loves the DT1990 while the T1 has got some mixed reviews. Not sure which one to go for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back