Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 16, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #422 of 4,782

+2
'additive' is the word.
One does get the feeling that there are quite a few better headphones costing a bit or a lot more but one doesn't feel like getting rid of this one. Ether Flow C? Sure, not gonna sell the 1770, though. Utopia? Why not? 1990 stays, though. There is  something intrinsically fair about the 1990/1770.

Maybe, I like to call the sound a bit euphoric personally. Very few headphones do I like listening to as much or more than the DT 1770/1990 long term. They have a bit of that vintage musicality to them that I don't find very often in modern headphones. 

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #423 of 4,782
  Maybe, I like to call the sound a bit euphoric personally. Very few headphones do I like listening to as much or more than the DT 1770/1990 long term. They have a bit of that vintage musicality to them that I don't find very often in modern headphones. 

Very interesting viewpoint. I thought you had written euphonic rather than euphoric, but now I'm not sure which you intended. I think of euphonic as that golden glow you get from great tube amps...maybe not so accurate nor detailed, but so beautiful sounding (with acoustic music in particular).  "Vintage musicality" gives me that same feeling.

While I find the 1770 and 1990 to be quite detailed and accurate, they definitely have fantastic musicality and keep me listening for a long time with no fatigue.  Customers who have auditioned them seem to be in agreement.

New slogan? "Euphonic and Euphoric!"

Oct 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #424 of 4,782

Very interesting viewpoint. I thought you had written euphonic rather than euphoric, but now I'm not sure which you intended. I think of euphonic as that golden glow you get from great tube amps...maybe not so accurate nor detailed, but so beautiful sounding (with acoustic music in particular).  "Vintage musicality" gives me that same feeling.

While I find the 1770 and 1990 to be quite detailed and accurate, they definitely have fantastic musicality and keep me listening for a long time with no fatigue.  Customers who have auditioned them seem to be in agreement.

New slogan? "Euphonic and Euphoric!"

I have a bit of a habit of interchanging euphonic and euphoric when describing sound. It's almost as if it has an addictive sweetness to it. Reminds me of the AKG musicality(the main reason I like the AKG sound) which only shows on certain systems, but on the DT 1770 and DT 1990 it's always there and there is more of it. Tube amps do have a euphoric sound, I usually like tube amps more as I usually find them quicker and more holographic(more 3D imaging) on average, but some SS amps are really holographic and quick such as Violectrics, etc.

That's what makes the DT 1990 and DT 1770 so great to my ears, they make my Nighthawks well sound kind of boring and they aren't boring headphones overall as the Nighthawks make the HD 600/650 sound a tad boring to me. Very few headphones are more musical and euphoric than the DT 1990/1770 to my ears, especially among modern headphones. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #426 of 4,782
My DT 1990 arrived this evening.
First impressions: detailed, slightly v-shaped, nice soundstage, bass is tight, detailed but it seems light compared to my DT 770 PRO LE and even with my DT 150. Just as Lieven said on his headfonia review, it may not be the best choice for who are looking for bassy headphones.

Oct 20, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #427 of 4,782
  My DT 1990 arrived this evening.
First impressions: detailed, slightly v-shaped, nice soundstage, bass is tight, detailed but it seems light compared to my DT 770 PRO LE and even with my DT 150. Just as Lieven said on his headfonia review, it may not be the best choice for who are looking for bassy headphones.

Interesting, I'm getting a lot more bass impact than I ever did out of the DT 150 or DT 990, never owned the DT 770 LE so can't comment on it. What are you driving the DT 1990 with? I've found it one sensitive headphone to the system.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #429 of 4,782
There's a small part on it in my DT1990 review

A bit less treble and thinness than T90 would be perfect for me. I actually prefer my T90 sometimes to T1 because of its unsurpassable clarity and better comfort. However T1 does have more body in mid. I listen to orchestral music 90% of time and T1's more muscular string sound is where it beats the thinner T90.

Returned my T1.1 for a DT 1990. Definitely loving the DT 1990 there really is something addicting about it. Still burning it in but can return with full impressions.

Could you compare them in more detail? And have you tried T90 also? Thx

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #431 of 4,782
Microstreamer is on the bright side.
After 15 hours the sound changed, more bass, less treble.
I'm enjoying it pretty much!
smile_phones.gif

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #432 of 4,782
Just got my dt1770pro, they have about 5hours of burn-in, the sound is perfect, but im questioning myself, would be the dt1990pro better for me? Im using the headphones only at home, so the open-back is ok for me, in fact i was till now using dt990 pro and i think the sound was clearer and airier, do you think the dt1990pro have much more clearer and airier sound than dt1770pro? Thanks

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #435 of 4,782
As a DT770 owner I'm surprised at the number of 770 owners saying their treble is aggressive/tiring. I find the 1990s to have a more agressive treble to my 770s (which are 5 years old now and may be more mellow due to gunked up pads). The 1990s are also very source dependent and a top quality recording studio files (courtesy of Kent Poon) shows the 770 and 1990 share a good deal in common in terms of house sound.

Compressed commercial recordings differentiate the 770 to the 1990, with the 770 sounding more forgiving. Like I said previously my 770s are 5 years old and age may have mellowed them. My 1990s are brand new and time may change their characteristics too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back