Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #392 of 4,773

My wallet does not like these answers :frowning2:

I mostly listen to classic rock, jazz and some more modern electronic stuff like Daft Punk and Todd Terje. 

Do you like tubes more than ss that is the question you have to ask yourself. The 1990 sounds great one both as I said but its not whats best its more do you like a harder edge sound or a more silky sound aka tubes .

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #393 of 4,773

I'm going back and forth between the Feliks Audio Espressivo tube amp and the Schiit Jotenheim solid state. 

I think Jodie is the right way to go with new Beyers. I have 1770 with Jodie and i must say its a very nice pair for 800-900$. Jodie provides nice energy on low/mid volumes. I compared it with Xonar ST and iBasso DX80 amps and they dont have Jodies ability to involve at low volumes. On high it becomes vigorous, yet crystal clear with zero distortion. I mostly listen to trip/hip-hop and EDM, but sometimes neoclassical like Einaudi, jazz like 'Whiplash' and classic like Mozart/Vivaldi/Haydn.
I like Jodies zero output impedance so i can use my UE900 too with completely black background. 
I dont think that internal dual AK4490 is a nice DAC for 100$ by itself. It's "shy" in mid-upper bass region (80-250Hz) yet detailed, hence dynamic EDM and classic rock sounds hollow and not so involving. This DAC is only good for all-in-one solution and classic/jazz music where mid-bass quantity is absolutely not the main requirement.
Jodie is very versatile. You should spend more for something like Torpedo III, if you want better quality stand alone amp (based on reviews i've read).
If you want DAC/Preamp/HPamp in one - Audio GD Master 11 is best for 2k$ as far as i read. Can be found for 1.3-1.5k$ used.
Overall i like my Jodie and my main question now is "how to find/listen/test a good dac" (maybe in high-end entrance level)... maybe i'll go for master 11 in near future. Idk yet.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #394 of 4,773
  Do you guys think the 1990's tuning benefits more from a tube amp or a solid state? I've chosen the Schiit Modi Multi as my DAC but I'm going back and forth between the Feliks Audio Espressivo tube amp and the Schiit Jotenheim solid state. 

If you don't already have the 1990, you should wait and see how you feel about the treble first.  While some have found it a bit too bright (but just a bit - not like the treble-monster beyers of the past), other are quite happy with it.  If you find yourself wanting to tame it a little, go for the tube amp.  If you want more of an edge, go SS.  Personally, I like SS with my rock and tubes with my jazz. As a dealer, I'm lucky to get to have both around.  

Also, I would say that it depends on the fidelity of your source material. As someone else mentioned in this thread, high-res files eliminate any treble issues in the 1990.  I'm listening to Nik Bartsch's Mobile on them right now (24-bit AIFF file through a CEntrance DACport HD) and I'm absolutely loving it. I would probably love it even more through the Woo Audio WA7 tube amp, but I needed a quick grab-and-go amp for my laptop today.

My demo 1990 is not fully broken in yet, but so far I'm finding less bass impact than the 1770, but still a great balance and enough bass.  This may change with some more play-time.  Have to say I really like both.  (Curious to see how the Amiron will compare...and selling my demo T90 for cheap in the FOR SALE forum.)

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #397 of 4,773
Yeah - agreed. Mixed impressions on that. How about bass body? I read in a review the DT1770 has more bass body.

Lol, in reality I can't afford the DT1990 in addition to the DT1770, so I'd rather we all just agree that DT1770 has better impact and body in the bass. Deal? :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #398 of 4,773
  Yeah - agreed. Mixed impressions on that. How about bass body? I read in a review the DT1770 has more bass body.

Lol, in reality I can't afford the DT1990 in addition to the DT1770, so I'd rather we all just agree that DT1770 has better impact and body in the bass. Deal? :)

I personally find about the same, I think it may be because the openness helps in terms of that for me personally. You don't really need to have both, it may be smarter to look into another headphone if you ever want another. I got the DT 1990 because I wanted an open-back DT 1770 and well my DT 1770 has been a problem child, headband clasps breaking and headband cable failing twice. I have a very low serial number DT 1770 and they had build quality issues with the first batch, thankfully no driver rattle on mine. I personally have the Sony MDR-Z1R on my sights as end game but will need to save up for a while to get it and hopefully it drops in price by then.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #399 of 4,773
How would you guys compare the DT-1990 to the T1.1? I mostly listen to edm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back