Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 13, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #108 of 4,785
I see now the balanced vs analytical are both velour. I don't have these yet so I was thinking it was pleather vs velour.

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #109 of 4,785
I'd be interested in comparsions with the DT880 to be honest. I know it's an oldie, but it's still a goodie, and I use the DT880 mostly for classical, jazz and naturally recorded acoustic.

By the way where are you lot getting these from already? I've spoken to my dealer and they're not expecting them until the end of september/mid october at the earliest.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #110 of 4,785
I'd be interested in comparsions with the DT880 to be honest. I know it's an oldie, but it's still a goodie, and I use the DT880 mostly for classical, jazz and naturally recorded acoustic.

By the way where are you lot getting these from already? I've spoken to my dealer and they're not expecting them until the end of september/mid october at the earliest.

Just listened to these at CanJam; they won't be available in the UK 'till September.

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #112 of 4,785
How did they sound?

Honestly a fair or grand meeting like Can Jam cannot do open cans justice. I could easily fall in love with the closed DT1770 on Ifa, but could not get any good impression from the T1 second edition that was also on display. Open cans need a quiet environment for critical listening anyways. I will need to wait till my local dealer in Freiburg Germany has them on display. He has a quiet listening room. @slaphead, Freiburg is not fare from where you live and the Franken pays well in Euro countries.

Aug 15, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #113 of 4,785
How did they sound?

Fabulous.  I brought my own source: QLS 360 DAP into a Chord Mojo feeding the on-site Bayerdynamic amp.  Through the as-fitted pads the sound was slightly warm, dynamic, with a fractionally rounded top end (to my ears).  The pads were then switched to the supposed "analytical sounding pads" and, for me, this was a real revelation: dynamics and transparency increased with the roundness at the top end removed.  Cliche time: It was if I was listening out of the recording studio desk.  There was lots of detail, but not detail for details sake; it was musical detail.

I will be getting a pair of these when they're released and have already ordered the amp which will be ultimately driving them, the Rupert Neve RNHP, which also was a revelation to listen to.

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #114 of 4,785
  Fabulous.  I brought my own source: QLS 360 DAP into a Chord Mojo feeding the on-site Bayerdynamic amp.  Through the as-fitted pads the sound was slightly warm, dynamic, with a fractionally rounded top end (to my ears).  The pads were then switched to the supposed "analytical sounding pads" and, for me, this was a real revelation: dynamics and transparency increased with the roundness at the top end removed.  Cliche time: It was if I was listening out of the recording studio desk.  There was lots of detail, but not detail for details sake; it was musical detail.

I will be getting a pair of these when they're released and have already ordered the amp which will be ultimately driving them, the Rupert Neve RNHP, which also was a revelation to listen to.

That's the spirit! I am very tempted to do the same. Listened to the Orpheus and the HD 800 on IFA 2015. Then found the DT1770 in the next booth and it impressed me so much that I ordered it straight away. Have it love it, basta.

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #116 of 4,785
  It's pretty nice with the Cayin HA-1A mk2, I prefer it over the V281, haven't tried my other (tube) amps yet

Did you listen to the DT1770 pro and if so, could you please compare them for us in a few words?

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #119 of 4,785
I find the DT1990 to be more precise and extended than the DT1770. The mids and the voices - which in both headphones are prominent - have more body in the DT1990. Bass of course has more sub presence in the closed DT1770
After only a very short period of comparison, I have to say the open unit has my preference

I really like both units but then again I love almost all Beyer headphones and own the T51P, COP, DT770, T70, T90 and both these now. Not a fan of the T1 though, luckily neither of the new ones remind me of the T1.

Aug 18, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #120 of 4,785
I find the DT1990 to be more precise and extended than the DT1770. The mids and the voices - which in both headphones are prominent - have more body in the DT1990. Bass of course has more sub presence in the closed DT1770
After only a very short period of comparison, I have to say the open unit has my preference

I really like both units but then again I love almost all Beyer headphones and own the T51P, COP, DT770, T70, T90 and both these now. Not a fan of the T1 though, luckily neither of the new ones remind me of the T1.

Thanks man, that sounds very promising.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back