Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 1, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #79 of 4,772
The eagle has landed, I shall post first brief impressions this evening, at work with only my phone on me currently.

They look better in person than in the photos, the fine mesh in the open holes is very nice, and they feel very sturdy with a mainly metal construction.

The pads are interesting, both Velour but different material on the back and different amount of holes.

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #80 of 4,772
The eagle has landed, what a comparison....
I was up all night in Germany to watch it live, 9 years of age.... back in the day

Aug 1, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #81 of 4,772
The eagle has landed, what a comparison....
I was up all night in Germany to watch it live, 9 years of age.... back in the day

Sneaked in a listen of 1 song, out of my measly OnePlus Two, and it sounds incredible. Not as much bass slam as the DT 1770, more linear but also not harsh, just very detailed. The bass is very controlled and extends with ease, and without excessive bloat, the mids may be a tiny bit recessed, but I will listen out of my headphone amps later.

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #82 of 4,772
Sneaked in a listen of 1 song, out of my measly OnePlus Two, and it sounds incredible. Not as much bass slam as the DT 1770, more linear but also not harsh, just very detailed. The bass is very controlled and extends with ease, and without excessive bloat, the mids may be a tiny bit recessed, but I will listen out of my headphone amps later.

You lucky barsteward, getting them so early. I'm looking forward to your impressions. If, as you say, they don't have as much bass slam as the DT1770 then these might be my perfect HPs for classical.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #84 of 4,772
Ok, I didn't get a lot of head time last night with the DT 1990, but tested them with Feliks Audio Elise and also straight out the Matrix Quattro II and the Matrix HPA-2C.

They need an amp, they are a completely different headphone when used with a proper amp, than out of a phone, also they are incredibly revealing of poor sources, MP3 and poorly mastered music is not particularly enjoyable out of these.

These amps all have different signatures, but not matter what amp I plugged the DT 1990 in to it sounded incredible. Out of the Elise you get a very full bodied sound with air and separation rivalling a lot of other headphones.

I would call these a poor mans T1, in some ways I prefer them to the T1 2nd Generation as they can sometimes sound a little too warm, these are in between the T1 and T1 2nd Generation, they find that perfect balance and they really do strive for neutrality.

I only used the Balanced pads, out of the Matrix Quattro II the sound was more controlled and even from lows to highs, I was listening to Gomez and the detail retrieval is sublime, you can hear subtle nuances easily, and the tonal balance is just right.

I really liked the DT 1770 when they were released, but these have got me much more excited and interested, they don't have the fun wow factor in the bass that the DT 1770 has, but these are less peaky and in my opinion they are less fatiguing overall. But some might find them boring due to no major wow factor apart from the detail and air.

There is no famous Beyer peak, the treble is revealing and refined, with excellent extension.

The soundstage isn't the largest I've heard, but the imaging is very convincing and the sound is always coherent and never detached, things are easy to pinpoint within the sound stage.

They are currently at home burning in, and i'll try and get another listening session in tonight.

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #85 of 4,772
I can't wait to hear some impressions of these. I'm looking for a warmer replacement/upgrade to my T70's and these have the potential to fit my needs perfectly.

It's also nice to see Beyer using a detachable cable and removable earpads on thier lower priced (that is, lower than 1k) cans. I'm interested in the 2 different earpads. It's a nice idea.
I writed somewhere in T1 treads i think... That not everybody like changes that new thicker earpads bring and so it whould be nice if manufacturers bring 2 different earpads for different tastes or to have best synergy with their equipment. It is great move nonetheless!!! Others should follow!!!

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #86 of 4,772
How big is the soundstage? He400i sized? HD600? X2? Also, how detailed is it in comparison to other open beyers, like the T90. One more question, are they any more comfortable than other Beyers, or do they still feel like a soft cloud on your head?

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #88 of 4,772
  How big is the soundstage? He400i sized? HD600? X2? Also, how detailed is it in comparison to other open beyers, like the T90. One more question, are they any more comfortable than other Beyers, or do they still feel like a soft cloud on your head?

I cannot compare to those headphones unfortunately as I have not heard them, but the soundstage isn't as airy as the T90 due to better more solid bass response, but the accuracy of the imaging depth and height wise is excellent, there is a perfect amount of air between everything.

They have an engaging sound, so not like you are halfway back in a concert hall, more front row, but what I appreciate is on recordings with good ambience (The Appleseed Cast - Two Conversations) is a great album for this, you can really feel the space of the room it was recorded in. The soundstage is not huge, but what I like about that is the fact that a few headphones with uber wide soundstage end up sounding artificial, whereas these sound real, natural.

I find the T90 to be bright, the DT 1990 is more neutral, but with similar detail retrieval. Sibilance is not a problem on these.

Same comfort as other Beyers, which is good.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #90 of 4,772

I cannot compare to those headphones unfortunately as I have not heard them

Thanks for the impressons. I haven't heard any of those headphones either, but I was just trying to get an idea of where these stood in terms of imaging and soundstage. They fit my needs very well, and I am looking forward to when they are released... and when I can afford them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back