Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Aug 9, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #92 of 4,771
I hate to pester you about the soundstage, but I am a little concerned about the way you described it in your initial statement, so I would like to get a better idea of its size. If you could describe it relative to some other headphones, that would help me, and others like me out immensely.

Aug 9, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #93 of 4,771

Sneaked in a listen of 1 song, out of my measly OnePlus Two, and it sounds incredible. Not as much bass slam as the DT 1770, more linear but also not harsh, just very detailed. The bass is very controlled and extends with ease, and without excessive bloat, the mids may be a tiny bit recessed, but I will listen out of my headphone amps later.

Wouldn't be a Beyer if they weren't..

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #94 of 4,771

Wouldn't be a Beyer if they weren't..

They change with amplification and sound a lot better when amped.

I'll let the guys at CanJam compare the soundstage, it's not as wide as the T1, or the Hifiman HE-500, but it has very good imaging, they are not closed sounding by a long shot though.

Aug 10, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #96 of 4,771
They change with amplification and sound a lot better when amped.

I'll let the guys at CanJam compare the soundstage, it's not as wide as the T1, or the Hifiman HE-500, but it has very good imaging, they are not closed sounding by a long shot though.

I'll be listening to these at Canjam, I'll be taking a pair of DT770 pros for comparison since these cans can really slam with the right amplification and source.

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #99 of 4,771
How much do the different pads change the sound?

Only did a quick test listening to them out of my phone (amps really bring out the best in them)

The pads do change the sound quite a bit, I prefer the balanced vs analytical pads, as they do sound more balanced.

The analytical ones accentuate the upper mids, and highs while taming the lows and they sound quite cold with the analytical pads on. Again this was their aim, so they do what they are supposed to, but my preferred sound is the balanced.

With the balanced pads they are a very balanced sounding headphone, with no major peaks or dips in the response.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #103 of 4,771

Only did a quick test listening to them out of my phone (amps really bring out the best in them)

The pads do change the sound quite a bit, I prefer the balanced vs analytical pads, as they do sound more balanced.

The analytical ones accentuate the upper mids, and highs while taming the lows and they sound quite cold with the analytical pads on. Again this was their aim, so they do what they are supposed to, but my preferred sound is the balanced.

With the balanced pads they are a very balanced sounding headphone, with no major peaks or dips in the response.

Dumb question, which pad is which?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back