Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 4, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #856 of 4,782
I unfortunately can't help you Xerox. I only use daps for my DT 1990 but don't think I lack anything. I use Tidal Hifi and the 1990 sound superb with it. In my opinion it's an easy headphone to satisfy.

May 4, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #857 of 4,782
Anyone with any answers to my questions above? I would have been heartily grateful if so.

The Jot will be fine, also the Chord Mojo is an excellent choice for the DT 1990. Desktop systems with clean power do seem to flesh out the bass a bit more, I don't find the DT 1770 to really have more bass than my DT 1990 on my system, in fact I find the bass bigger on the DT 1990 on my system. The DT 1990 handles low quality sources fine, oddly for me it's many of the more revealing headphones that bother me less in terms of recording quality as they don't tend to be harsh or cause fatigue to me on low quality recordings, they just shine more on high quality recordings and reveal more flaws on lesser recordings. And some youtube videos are actually quite good quality.

Tubes do tend to add a bit of a silky character to the DT 1990's upper ranges. I haven't heard the Vali 2, but I do think the Lyr 2 was a good match so it's probably similar. The Vali 2 and Modi Multibit is probably quite nice with the DT 1990. The problem with the Jot you can't really use it to it's full potential on the DT 1990 as the DT 1990 needs to be modded to run balanced. The DT 1990 is pretty easy to drive and is at a good impedance rating which makes it versatile in terms of amps.

Last edited:
May 4, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #858 of 4,782
Thanks a lot stenog for your input! And thanks a bunch kman for yours! I didn't know it could be such a bass difference depending on the system, interesting! What system do you have? (Chord Mojo?) Sounds good regarding low quality sources, was actually a bit afraid it could cause fatigue. Seems that I can let go of that fear now. *puh*

Oh, then the Jot is out of the question for me really. It's a hard thing to decide on DACs/AMPs since I don't have the benefit of testing either before buying. But it seems that I will be satisfied with a Vali 2 and a Modi Multibit, unless someone here ruins my dreams. However, you are still very welcome to do so :beyersmile:

I haven't been looking into any portable DAC/AMPs (maybe a portable AMP is unnecessary?) and would like to take the shortcut and ask if there is any you guys would prefer before others? The same goes with the 3 pin mini XLR cable that follows with the 1990 since I was thinking of buying a shorter one (1,2-1,5m). Thanks in advance!

May 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #859 of 4,782
Thanks a lot stenog for your input! And thanks a bunch kman for yours! I didn't know it could be such a bass difference depending on the system, interesting! What system do you have? (Chord Mojo?) Sounds good regarding low quality sources, was actually a bit afraid it could cause fatigue. Seems that I can let go of that fear now. *puh*

Oh, then the Jot is out of the question for me really. It's a hard thing to decide on DACs/AMPs since I don't have the benefit of testing either before buying. But it seems that I will be satisfied with a Vali 2 and a Modi Multibit, unless someone here ruins my dreams. However, you are still very welcome to do so :beyersmile:

I haven't been looking into any portable DAC/AMPs (maybe a portable AMP is unnecessary?) and would like to take the shortcut and ask if there is any you guys would prefer before others? The same goes with the 3 pin mini XLR cable that follows with the 1990 since I was thinking of buying a shorter one (1,2-1,5m). Thanks in advance!

No problem. Yes the system can make a dramatic difference in the sound. My particular system seems to really bring out the bass. I'm using a Sony UDA-1 to drive my DT 1990 and a Project Sunrise 3.1(which has less bass impact than the Sony but a little more silky up top and makes the mids a bit more present). I have heard the DT 1990 on the Chord Mojo at length though, very clean, smooth, and articulate with good dynamics. The system can actually drastically change a headphones sound and sometimes the change isn't all that big.

Schiit gear has been a bit of a mixed bag to me, I liked some but disliked others. But I haven't heard the Vali 2 or Modi Multibit so I can't say how they perform.

Some of the portable stuff is very good, the Chord Mojo is worth it for example. The iFi iDSD Black Label also seems to be a good choice but have yet to hear it.

May 5, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #860 of 4,782
Anyone with any answers to my questions above? I would have been heartily grateful if so.

If your budget is around $500 then you could do worse than give the Chord Mojo a listen. I find it pairs well with the DT1990.

Unfortunately I'm unable to compare the Mojo to the Schiit products you mentioned as Schiit products are a bit awkward to get hold of where I am.

May 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #861 of 4,782
Well I got my DT1990 pros last night. They were on my head from the time I unboxed them to when I went to bed. Unreal how good these sound. That is using my BL. Excellent synergy with both my Fiio X5iii and BL.

I was initially concerned that my X5iii might not drive the DT1990 well enough. That was quickly squashed. It was mind blowing first time I threw the cans on the X5iii by itself. Then I threw on my BL. Oh man. These cans sound better than anything I own.

May 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #862 of 4,782
That's great to hear. I remember exchanging messages about the 1990, so cool that they meet your expectations. They are incredibly transparent and have nice dynamic punch. You can't ask for anything more for the price.

May 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #863 of 4,782
So I was the one who bought Andrew Reigers mint condition DT1990. Outstanding guy by the way. Thumbs up to Andrew for a fantastic deal. I did so much reading on these cans. Have not read a single real negative about them. That to me was what got me interested on them. So glad I got them.

Just outstanding resolution and to me very musical at the same time. Sound layering is unreal. It is the most 3D sounding of any cans I have ever heard. This is before the 3D switch on the BL.

These have not only met my expectations but they have shattered them. I am at work right now and I am wondering why I didn't bring them to work with me. Lol.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #864 of 4,782
I have heard the DT 1990 on the Chord Mojo at length though, very clean, smooth, and articulate with good dynamics. The system can actually drastically change a headphones sound and sometimes the change isn't all that big.

Schiit gear has been a bit of a mixed bag to me, I liked some but disliked others. But I haven't heard the Vali 2 or Modi Multibit so I can't say how they perform.

I see. The Chord Mojo sure sounds interesting, I will give it a try at the store once I get my 1990 pro.

I'm very unknowing with a portable DAC/AMP combos function, but as I understand it, only the AMP is in use when it's connected to a phone. So then I assume that both the DAC and AMP is in use when connected to a computer via USB? (question open to all)

Regarding the Modi/Vali combo, I guess the only way to find out is to buy it and try it out. (Thanks! ^-^)

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #865 of 4,782
I can now confirm that the Fostex HP-A4BL DAC can power these headphones without a problem. I set the volume to around 40% on low gain, any higher than that and it's too loud for me.

This might become my favorite pair of headphones I ever owned. I probably won't be using my Grado RS2e's that much anymore.
Hi GoreMotel, Congrats on your DT 1990!

Since you have both RS2e and DT 1990, Could you do a little comparison between these two pairs? I have some e-series Grados including RS2e and really enjoy its sound signature, but now I want to try something besides Grado and from what I've read these DT 1990s are really amazing. If you could tell me what exactly makes you enjoy DT 1990 even more than your RS2e, I would be of great help for me to make my decision on my next headphone. (higher-end Grado or DT 1990/ Amiron)

For my RS2e and other Grados, what I like most about them are being transparent and intimate, and I also enjoy the bass being not overwhelming and the treble having that "Grado flare". After being a Grado fan boy for all these years I think it's time to try something more neutral-sounding and less fatiguing (and more comfortable, of course), but not at the cost of making the music sound dull and boring. (I mostly listen to 60s/ 70s Rock, 90s/ 00s Alternative, Jazz and Piano music)

May 7, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #866 of 4,782
I see. The Chord Mojo sure sounds interesting, I will give it a try at the store once I get my 1990 pro.

I'm very unknowing with a portable DAC/AMP combos function, but as I understand it, only the AMP is in use when it's connected to a phone. So then I assume that both the DAC and AMP is in use when connected to a computer via USB? (question open to all)

Regarding the Modi/Vali combo, I guess the only way to find out is to buy it and try it out. (Thanks! ^-^)
Chord Mojo is a good DAC, but I would get a JDS Labs Element over the mojo, they sound about the same and the element is about $200 cheaper.

May 7, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #867 of 4,782
Would love to hear how it sounds, but unfortunately I can't test the JDS Labs Element anywhere here. But I'm actually leaning towards the Modi Multibit/Magni 2 Uber combo now. That way I can plug in my powered comp. monitors as well. And since the Vali 2 is a hybrid I won't get the real tube sound anyway. I'm thinking that I'll get a Darkvoice 336 instead if I really want a tube amp in the future. I'll probably get a portable like the Mojo/JDS before the Darkvoice tho.

I'm wondering if a Schiit Wyrd is worth it, just to get that really clean sound?

May 7, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #868 of 4,782
Would love to hear how it sounds, but unfortunately I can't test the JDS Labs Element anywhere here. But I'm actually leaning towards the Modi Multibit/Magni 2 Uber combo now. That way I can plug in my powered comp. monitors as well. And since the Vali 2 is a hybrid I won't get the real tube sound anyway. I'm thinking that I'll get a Darkvoice 336 instead if I really want a tube amp in the future. I'll probably get a portable like the Mojo/JDS before the Darkvoice tho.

I'm wondering if a Schiit Wyrd is worth it, just to get that really clean sound?

If you can use optical instead of USB, its a more effective way to avoid any noise in my experience. I had the wyrd in the past and found I just liked using optical more instead. It's worth trying both though and see how you feel about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back