Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
May 8, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #886 of 4,782
I'm good thanks! Yup, eric is trouble. As is that Kman dude.. he likes the 1990's more than the nighthawks, so he had piqued my interest in them. And now I have to deal with you as well lol!

May 8, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #887 of 4,782
No problem. I have something else when I want something really resolving to the degree even the DT 1990 and T1.2 aren't. Honestly high amounts of detail isn't fatiguing to me, even my DT 480(requires modding to sound right) which just assaults me with detail but it's so clean and composed even the Amiron Home and DT 1990 sounds off for a bit after listening to it. Not a whole lot of bass presence though and it does have a bit of glare. The DT 1990 is my most used headphone though, it's just the easiest to settle into for me and use for long periods of time.

Curious to know what headphones you use that are more resolving than the DT1990, DT480 and T1.2? I've only heard the T1.2 once and it was not something that I cared for, my T1.1 has a better sound signature to me but like you said they are harder to pair with the right amp.

A friend who was going to let me try his DT1990 had to cancel his trip at the last minute so I still haven't gotten to hear a DT1990.

May 8, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #888 of 4,782
Curious to know what headphones you use that are more resolving than the DT1990, DT480 and T1.2? I've only heard the T1.2 once and it was not something that I cared for, my T1.1 has a better sound signature to me but like you said they are harder to pair with the right amp.

A friend who was going to let me try his DT1990 had to cancel his trip at the last minute so I still haven't gotten to hear a DT1990.

The DT 480 is the really resolving one I'm talking about, the detail the thing can extract with ease is incredible, it really shows in games, high quality recordings, and more complicated tracks, you hear things you don't even hear on other headphones, you hear so deep into the recoding and gear it's eye-opening, everything you sort of notice on other headphones makes itself known and the shape of the recording dawns on you, many people who hear them are like they are too much in that they reveal too much. Honestly it's a little too much for me too, it's not fatiguing in fact it's devoid of any fatigue or harshness, in fact vocals on just about everything else sounds harsh and a bit sibilant yet it extends higher in the treble if the track calls for it than any headphone I've owned,everything has a coherency and solidity to it other headphones don't, like other headphones are kinda spread out and injected with fluff/air in their sound imaging making things a bit out of focus, is the best I can describe it. Those people saying the DT 48(same driver as the DT 480) are summit-fi were on to something, they definitely are to my ears, but they are also so different than anything else making it hard to compare them to anything else but given they are the only headphones hermetically sealed driver/magnet design it makes sense they are so different, every other dynamic magnet system in headphones is open. It takes a little time to grasp the headphones though.

Sorry you haven't been able to hear the DT 1990 yet. Hope you will be able to soon. I actually thought the original T1 sounded more to my liking as well

May 8, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #889 of 4,782
What these cans do for trance music alone with worth paying full price for, but also excels with everything I have thrown at it.

I agree with hat these headphones do for trance and electronic in general is incredible. Some may say a different bassier sound signature works better for electronic but honestly after listening to these I disagree, these are electronic masters despite being a jack of all trades.

May 8, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #890 of 4,782
I'm good thanks! Yup, eric is trouble. As is that Kman dude.. he likes the 1990's more than the nighthawks, so he had piqued my interest in them. And now I have to deal with you as well lol!

Yup I am loving these cans. You know your listening to something special when you start going over tunes you have heard a thousand times before just to hear them with these cans.

I agree with hat these headphones do for trance and electronic in general is incredible. Some may say a different bassier sound signature works better for electronic but honestly after listening to these I disagree, these are electronic masters despite being a jack of all trades.

I give proper stage, air, dynamics and bass that all lead to EDM performance. From a former bass head I love the bass out of these cans. Not lacking in the least. If I want more bass I can just flick a switch on my BL or ICAN. But really no need. In fact IMO has some of the best bass for open cans I have ever heard. Quality is unreal, Beyer seemed to have pulled some magic with these using them fandagled Tesla drivers.

I was mentioning to a friend how every phone that I have owned in the past has something lacking in one way or another. The DT1990? It is tough to point out flaws at all. That to me has to be a first.

May 8, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #891 of 4,782
Yup I am loving these cans. You know your listening to something special when you start going over tunes you have heard a thousand times before just to hear them with these cans.

I give proper stage, air, dynamics and bass that all lead to EDM performance. From a former bass head I love the bass out of these cans. Not lacking in the least. If I want more bass I can just flick a switch on my BL or ICAN. But really no need. In fact IMO has some of the best bass for open cans I have ever heard. Quality is unreal, Beyer seemed to have pulled some magic with these using them fandagled Tesla drivers.

I was mentioning to a friend how every phone that I have owned in the past has something lacking in one way or another. The DT1990? It is tough to point out flaws at all. That to me has to be a first.

That's true. I'm actually a former bass-head myself but I'm much pickier about my bass now. Needs to be high quality now. I'm more of a midrange lover now though though I appreciate good treble too as well. I'm more of a midrange head. Honestly Beyer has honestly always known what they have been doing, it shows even on their first headphones. Whether people like Beyers usually somewhat aggressive sound signature or not is preference.

Honestly I have to agree, it is more of a challenge finding the flaws on the headphone as they managed to strike that extremely hard to achieve natural balance in terms of tuning.

May 8, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #893 of 4,782
Had a listen to the 1990 tonight after a couple of weeks break and man this thing is great...breath of fresh air clarity without a hint of harshness and precise bass without sounding anemic. So underrated as I've said several times before.

My avatar is a small tribute ...

I'm in the same boat, haven't been able to listen for 2 weeks and am now having a hard time putting them down to go to sleep. I never thought this headphone was going to be this addicting but it truly exceeded my expectations.

It really handles any genre on my speedball/modi MB effortlessly and as kman has said it really feels at home on aggressive genres the most.

May 9, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #895 of 4,782
Both pads sound excellent but I do prefer the Balanced pads for a bit more musical take on the DT1990 pro sound. Mine came with the A pads installed. Definitely reference sounding with the A pads.

For guys that are trying to switch out pads for the first time. You gotta have some finger muscle and can't be all thumbs or you'll rip the pads. This being said. Switching out pads is much more difficult than it should be. I do like the A pads as well but it took me more effort than I want to admit putting the B pads on so they will be on there for the foreseeable future.

May 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #896 of 4,782
It is sort of a pain to change the pads but not too bad once you get the hang of it. I've been using the A pads as of late just because they are less stiff than the balanced pads and more comfortable. It does offer a tiny bit more crisper and detailed sound too. Granted, the balanced pads offer great clarity anyway, so you can't go wrong either way.

May 9, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #897 of 4,782
I prefer the balanced overall, I prefer the slightly warmer sound they offer and I prefer their long-term comfort as I found them deeper and I actually like that they are firmer for comfort reasons.

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #898 of 4,782
Don't know why I haven't tried my old NFB-5. Oh man. I thought my other sources sounded great. My NFB-5 has the Moon Opa in it With dual Wofson DACS. One of the most musical amp dac combos made by NFB. Combined with the DT1990.

WOW!

I can't begin to tell you guys how happy I have these cans to listen to music with.

May 9, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #899 of 4,782
Don't know why I haven't tried my old NFB-5. Oh man. I thought my other sources sounded great. My NFB-5 has the Moon Opa in it With dual Wofson DACS. One of the most musical amp dac combos made by NFB. Combined with the DT1990.

WOW!

I can't begin to tell you guys how happy I have these cans to listen to music with.

Glad you are enjoying them so much. The DT 1990 is actually very revealing but still sounds good regardless of source, but on the right source it's really something special. I really like throwing tubes into the mix with the DT 1990 personally. I really like trying to maximize the DT 1990's musicality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back