Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 26, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,756 of 4,776
While I haven't done the mod to a DT-1990 with the older DT-990, 880, 770 if you wanted to go balanced you either had to re-wire the left side to a 4 pin mini-XLR or do a dual cable mod by installing a new mini-XLR on the right cup, something like this:

My DT-990 with dual mini-xlr

I want to keep the cable to one side and do the cabling internally.

Having trouble finding the same shaped plug and jack in 4 pole configuration though.

Do you know where I can source these?

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,757 of 4,776
1990's on sale, right now, at Amazon for $499.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,758 of 4,776
Jul 3, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #1,759 of 4,776
Bought these for my birthday 2 weeks back. Really enjoying them. I like them with my HE-500's. Trying to complete my arsenal by finding a nice pair of E-MU Teaks or cheap 900's and that will be it for my Headphone purchases. Really happy with the buy. I've been doing research on these for more than a year now hoping they would somehow go on sale but, they never do so, I just pulled the trigger. Can't say I'm disappointed one bit. Fills in all the gaps that the HE-500's don't fill well. Very great all arounder.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #1,760 of 4,776
Bought these for my birthday 2 weeks back. Really enjoying them. I like them with my HE-500's. Trying to complete my arsenal by finding a nice pair of E-MU Teaks or cheap 900's and that will be it for my Headphone purchases. Really happy with the buy. I've been doing research on these for more than a year now hoping they would somehow go on sale but, they never do so, I just pulled the trigger. Can't say I'm disappointed one bit. Fills in all the gaps that the HE-500's don't fill well. Very great all arounder.
Congrats on your purchase. I have the HE-500's as well as the DT 1990's and they do compliment each other nicely. They are different enough sonically to own both to my ears. Just so you know the TH-900 are in a different league :)

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,761 of 4,776
Congrats on your purchase. I have the HE-500's as well as the DT 1990's and they do compliment each other nicely. They are different enough sonically to own both to my ears. Just so you know the TH-900 are in a different league :)

Yea, I understand which is why I was considering buying the 900's on Amazon even though it would be more expensive than getting it used to test it so, if I don't like it, I can always return it. I used to own the Th600's and loved the living heck out of the bass but, I was so bothered by the nondetachable cable on it that I sold it within two months. I'm sure the 900's are much better than the Teaks but I'm not a huge fan of that shiny "please scratch me" Red cups on them even though they're gorgeous.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,762 of 4,776
Yea, I understand which is why I was considering buying the 900's on Amazon even though it would be more expensive than getting it used to test it so, if I don't like it, I can always return it. I used to own the Th600's and loved the living heck out of the bass but, I was so bothered by the nondetachable cable on it that I sold it within two months. I'm sure the 900's are much better than the Teaks but I'm not a huge fan of that shiny "please scratch me" Red cups on them even though they're gorgeous.
That's why I'm scared to death to take my TH-900's out of the house. If I put one scratch on those beautiful red cups I'd hate myself.

The E-MU teaks are probably the way to go for portability and they get you about 60% of the TH-900's sound. The TH-900's are really a phenomenon. They sound so open and airy with spectacular bass for a closed/semi-closed headphone. After listening to them you really have to give your ears a rest before listening to the DT 1990's again. Otherwise, the DT 1990's would sound like crap and I know this is not the case, lol.

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,763 of 4,776
That's why I'm scared to death to take my TH-900's out of the house. If I put one scratch on those beautiful red cups I'd hate myself.

The E-MU teaks are probably the way to go for portability and they get you about 60% of the TH-900's sound. The TH-900's are really a phenomenon. They sound so open and airy with spectacular bass for a closed/semi-closed headphone. After listening to them you really have to give your ears a rest before listening to the DT 1990's again. Otherwise, the DT 1990's would sound like crap and I know this is not the case, lol.

is that 60% number really accurate? If the difference is really that drastic, I don't mind getting the 900's. I heard some people say that the 600's were about 85-90% of the 900's. I carry a Fiio X1 on me for music alongside an amazon bought earbuds and they;re enough for me while walking around so I wouldn't be taking the Teaks or 900's for a walk.

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,764 of 4,776
is that 60% number really accurate? If the difference is really that drastic, I don't mind getting the 900's. I heard some people say that the 600's were about 85-90% of the 900's. I carry a Fiio X1 on me for music alongside an amazon bought earbuds and they;re enough for me while walking around so I wouldn't be taking the Teaks or 900's for a walk.
Maybe not that drastic but you can easily discern the difference in sound. I definitely would recommend getting a listen to them before purchasing

Jul 3, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,766 of 4,776
Jul 3, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,768 of 4,776
Will try! I mostly lurk here lol.
Once I get a new set of headphones, I always join the associated thread of said headphone. It's great to read what others think.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #1,769 of 4,776
To make the cable detachable is quite easy with the TH600, TH900 and THX00.

Agree with you about the "please scratch me" cups of the TH900, its why I stayed with the TH600 and to me its fairly close to the TH900, my percentage of how close the TH600 would be to the TH900 would be 90-95% after having both for a few months (TH900 from a friend that I installed SMC jacks for removable cables for).

Since I've yet to hear the DT-1990 how would you place them in comparison to the TH600 and HE500?

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,770 of 4,776
To make the cable detachable is quite easy with the TH600, TH900 and THX00.

Agree with you about the "please scratch me" cups of the TH900, its why I stayed with the TH600 and to me its fairly close to the TH900, my percentage of how close the TH600 would be to the TH900 would be 90-95% after having both for a few months (TH900 from a friend that I installed SMC jacks for removable cables for).

Since I've yet to hear the DT-1990 how would you place them in comparison to the TH600 and HE500?

Not very good with explaining what I hear but I'll try my best. I can't properly place the TH600 and the other two because at the time, I only ran it through an X-duo portable amp but, one thing for sure, the bass in all aspects beats both the HE-500 and DT 1990 pro. The 500's though have great bass if you're not comparing them to one of the most bass focused Cans on the market from what I've heard. The 500's bring great impact and substance with better midrange and detail. The highs in the 500's a great but nothing fatiguing but from what I remember, the 600's kicked ass for female vocals from the one song I always played - Thefatrat - Monody. The 1990 is the least "fun" of both cans but that isn't something negative. It's extremely well balanced. It's not lacking on anything to be honest and is one of the best all arounders from what I've personally heard listening and what I've seen almost everyone that has it say. I did research on them for about more than a year before deciding to pull the trigger... I don't regret it one bit much like I will always love the 500's even after owning the HE-6's which are supposed to be much better.

Since I didn't have a good setup with the 600's I can't say that this ranking is fair but it's

HE500 = DT1990 Pro > TH600's. The first two do a great job of everything without exactly having one particular weakness. The Mids in the 600's arent the best but, I don't think it's what people who buy Fostex are looking for anyway when buying them. It's interesting you stated again that it's about 90-95% of the 900's. I'll have to consider that as well since I now have a decent amp dac setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back