Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #1,741 of 4,776
Thanks heaps.

Are the brainwavz’s you used the HM5 model?

Also did you puncture four holes in the back like on the analytical pads?

1. Nope, the exact reference was: HEADPHONE MEMORY FOAM EARPADS - ROUND - VELOUR (Can I post links to stores? since I don't know, I won't)
2. Aside from cutting off the mesh. No, I did not puncture holes on the back. This is how they are:

IMG_20180614_211546.jpg

Jun 15, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #1,742 of 4,776
Dekoni have a perforated leather option, worried it could brighten these up, which they don’t need.
they definitely dont need to be brightened up more lol, the tesla dynamic driver is more than adequate at that.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,743 of 4,776
Hello.

I have been doing some research for a few days now and my choices are down to the Beyerdynamic DT1990, Amiron Home, and Hifiman Sundara. I will be driving them with my Audio GD R2R 11 amp/dac.

Any recommendations on which might pair best with the R2R 11? Looking for something to use for multimedia purposes (TV/Movies/podcast listening) as well as first person immersive gaming. Music tastes are usually movie/gaming soundtracks, soft rock, and indie.

I have posted in the R2R 11 forum, no replies back on the DT1990 or Amiron Home paired with the R2R 11.

I get ear fatigue really easy, usually from really forward mids or high/harsh treble headphones. Used to own some DT990s, but sold them because of the fatigue issues. Also, the mids from my current Sennheiser HD6XX seem to be giving me ear fatigue when using with the R2R 11, only owned for a few weeks now, so I’ll probably be selling them soon as well.

Also comfort is a number one priority for me, I would like a headphone I can wear for hours with no issues. I can’t use my Hifiman HE-400s or Hifiman HE-500 for more than an hour without a headache.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #1,744 of 4,776
I don't have any experience with that amp/dac, but the 1990s are a bit bright, not so much as the 990s were. You're best bet for beyer would probably be the amiron as they are not as bright as the 1990s.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,746 of 4,776
Just got my DT 1990 pro's and all I can say is damn are they harsh with vocals the S sound in particular is sibilant not liking them at all so far.

Tried both pads and nothing changed with regards to the harshness. They seem to be too bright for my liking and are quite fatiguing...

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,747 of 4,776
Just got my DT 1990 pro's and all I can say is damn are they harsh with vocals the S sound in particular is sibilant not liking them at all so far.

Tried both pads and nothing changed with regards to the harshness. They seem to be too bright for my liking and are quite fatiguing...
What amplifier are you using?
The 1990's need both a bit of power and a decent source to 'sing'. They're ruthless is exposing low bit-rates, and poor recordings/sources.
However, if you get it right, with both a decent source and decent amplification, they really thrill!

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,748 of 4,776
I'm a bit puzzled by your experience, as I quite like them, and can listen for hours. I'm relatively new to the hobby, so maybe my ears aren't refined enough yet. :wink: Having said that, I'm driving them with an Audio-GD R2R-11 and all my music is in FLAC files and generally well recorded and mastered.

Jun 21, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,749 of 4,776
What amplifier are you using?
The 1990's need both a bit of power and a decent source to 'sing'. They're ruthless is exposing low bit-rates, and poor recordings/sources.
However, if you get it right, with both a decent source and decent amplification, they really thrill!

I am using them with my Chord Mojo and my RSA predator and they both sound the same none of them seem to do it any good.

Maybe these will sing to a tube amp I've always wanted to try one hmm to return the headphone or to buy tube amp decisions are hard.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,750 of 4,776
I am using them with my Chord Mojo and my RSA predator and they both sound the same none of them seem to do it any good.

Maybe these will sing to a tube amp I've always wanted to try one hmm to return the headphone or to buy tube amp decisions are hard.
The 1990's are a little aggressive/prominent in the upper frequencies, and it does take a bit a bit of getting-used to them? It depends on what you've 'come from', but like most cans the Beyers have a certain character.
I've never tried a tube amp, but maybe it would tame the upper register a little?

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #1,751 of 4,776
The 1990's are a little aggressive/prominent in the upper frequencies, and it does take a bit a bit of getting-used to them? It depends on what you've 'come from', but like most cans the Beyers have a certain character.
I've never tried a tube amp, but maybe it would tame the upper register a little?

I havent owned headphones in ages because i generally much prefer the sound of speakers which are way easier to listen to and sound much more natural.

I wish i could get headphones that sound like studio monitors that would be a dream!

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #1,752 of 4,776
Tube amps definitely tame the highs of the DT 1990, I use mine exclusively with a Feliks Elise tube amp and they sound wonderful whilst still having a bit of the Beyer Sparkle.

Jun 21, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #1,753 of 4,776
I havent owned headphones in ages because i generally much prefer the sound of speakers which are way easier to listen to and sound much more natural.

I wish i could get headphones that sound like studio monitors that would be a dream!
It's certainly a different 'mindset' with headphones, and it takes a bit of getting used-to.
I too much prefer listening to speakers, rather than headphones, but sometimes it's not always possible. But given a choice, I'd always take speakers.

Jun 26, 2018 at 3:47 AM Post #1,755 of 4,776
Has anyone attempted to modify these headphones for use with a 4 pin balanced XLR?

If so, how would you go about doing so? Is there such a thing as a mini 4 pin XLR to replace the stock 3 pin?
While I haven't done the mod to a DT-1990 with the older DT-990, 880, 770 if you wanted to go balanced you either had to re-wire the left side to a 4 pin mini-XLR or do a dual cable mod by installing a new mini-XLR on the right cup, something like this:
DT-990 Dual cable mod.jpg
My DT-990 with dual mini-xlr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back