Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 4, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,712 of 4,756
I've been listening to mine for a few weeks and really like them. Some random comments in no particular order:

• Mine don't creak at all. Funny enough, the Utopias I keep playing with at the local hi-fi place creak like crazy (although they sound fantastic and they only creak when futzing with them, not when they are on)
  • I put the Dekoni fenestrated leather pads on mine. They were a major PITA to install since I could not get the soft leather to flow around the groove (I know how it works, I can remove and replace the regular pads easy peasy). I ended up working the leather in the groove with a credit card. Took a long time but it was worth it. I really like the leather over the velour.
  • I was also using a DF red for a while. It did ok, but IMO they really sing with some more power. I am am using a Vanguard 2 now (with the DAC from my Marantz ND8006) which really sounds good with them. I have also tried them with an Aune X1S/X7S which also works well.
  • When using my Mac as a source I have found that I really like using Sonarworks Tru-Fi with them. They have profiles for both the stock pads and also allow you to adjust the sound signature a bit. I've lost some treble over the years and Tru-Fi really helps to bring it back.

I got the Dekoni fenestrated leather pads as well, I did not like how they changed the sound. They flattened out the bass, I need more bass. I know these cans aren't bass monsters, but I really love what they deliver, the Fenestrated leather pads took that away from me.

Jun 5, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #1,715 of 4,756
@sandy1010, If you can do a little DIY then I can give you some info on how to do the mod, got all the information from PETEREK and I was able to mod to my T1, DT-990 and also did it for a friends T1 and DT-880. Not the easiest of mods since you will need some basic tools (Dremel, soldering station, etc) but it can look/work really nice, here's a picture of my DT-990:
DT-990 Dual cable mod.jpg
Used mini-XLR so I could also use the same cable as my LCD-2

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,716 of 4,756
Yes, I had that problem for a while on my right earcup. I fixed it by tightening the torx screws that hold in place the..."yoke" to the earcup.
Do you happen to know what size torx driver it takes? My left earcup doesn't swivel freely and the only bits I have are much too large.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,719 of 4,756
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #1,721 of 4,756

Right on time for the IFA trade show in Berlin we complete our professional headphone portfolio
with an open-back flagship model:

The DT 1990 PRO.

As high end reference headphones the DT 1990 PROs take their place alongside
the closed DT 1770 PRO in the beyerdynamic professional line.

The DT 1990 PRO reference headphones combine these decades of expertise
in headphone technology with the latest Tesla driver technology in an open-back design.

Together with an ingenious open-back design, the high-resolution Tesla drivers ensure a wide,
dynamic and extremely natural stereo image. Designed for professionals, the DT 1990 PROs
are the perfect headphones for ambitious listening, mixing and mastering.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-1990-pro.html

The DT 1990 PRO is having its premiere during the IFA in Berlin, from the 2nd to 7th September 2016.

This was first posted in the T1-2G thread by ostewart.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776332/new-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation/1620
I thought it definitely deserved a thread of it's own!
L3000.gif
I'll update this post as more info becomes available.

how do these compare to the T1s?

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,722 of 4,756
Guys I am considering the DT1990 pro for gaming however I am worried about the 370 g weight compared to the AKG 712 pro's 235g.

Which one would be better for gaming and comfort?
I use these for gaming, the weight isn't really an issue for long sessions, I don't find myself bothered by them.

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,723 of 4,756
I used these for gaming, I think clamping itself was more of an issue, and I didn't like how the weight wobbled on my head. Also they are not the best choice for gaming. I would say go for HD 660S Much better suited for gaming, Similar sounding.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #1,724 of 4,756
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!
You are posting in the DT-1990 thread and not the DT-990 thread but yes you are right that there are the premium (silver/aluminum grill is the normal and then there is the black special edition one) and pro (black) versions of the DT-990. I'm not sure about the "beyerdynamic" wording on the sides. Hope this might answer your question: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/different-dt-990-editions.690908/

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #1,725 of 4,756
Sorry about that, but i can't find the answer anywhere. Same with the dt 770. The common dt 770s have "dt 770" written on the cans but watch "panic! At the disco idgaf cover" on youtube, they're using dt 770s but different design. It has beyerdynamic written on the cans. Just want to clarify this. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back