Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 13, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #2,956 of 3,701
Can I pick your collective brains please? I use Ety ER4P with custom sleeves as my daily driver via a Meier USB DAC amp in the office, or directly into my phone when on the move. However it is becoming, literally, a pain in the ear to constantly remove them as I am interrupted at work. So I'm on the lookout for a good closed over ear headphones, and had settled on the DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm. But what about the DT 1770? Hmmm

I came here to see what you folk think of these ... but there are 200 pages to wade through, so that could take me while!

So to my question ...I'm happy to drop GBP 110 on the DT 770, but may need convincing to drop GBP 380 on the DT 1770. Are they worth the extra money in your opinion? I love my Etys. Will I be equally happy with either of my Beyer choices or, given that the DT1770 are more in the price range of the Etys (GBP 300), is that where I should be looking to get the same level of performance?

Any help, thoughts, guidance will be much appreciated. Meanwhile I'm going to start wading through this thread ...

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,957 of 3,701
I'm interested in ledzep's comparison as well. I haven't seen any glowing reviews of brainwavs sheepskin in the DT1770 yet, most of them has a warning that there is a trade off... So I might get the hybrid instead, even If I really want the dekoni because I love the bass from leather pads. But it would cost me 95$ shipped. Which is a ridiculous amount for some pads.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-14-10-40-03-88.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-14-10-40-03-88.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #2,960 of 3,701
I have this awful, awful habit of impulse buying expensive gear I've never heard.

And I've done it again here. I've grown into somewhat of a Beyerdynamic fanboy, the the Tesla line being particularly interesting to me. I LOVE the T5Ps, but I've really been itching to hear more of the Tesla lineup.

Being a 250 ohm headphone, I feel like these might pair well with my last impulse buy, my Woo Audio WA2. This amp breathes some serious new life into the DT770 Pro 80s, so I'm even more excited to how these will sound through it.

I actually got one of those bundle on Amazon, which comes with some extra random crap like an extra carrying case and a micro SD card (???), but it also comes with the Beyerdynamic A20 amp. So for $100 more than the standalone headphones, why the hell not?

Lord help my wallet.

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,961 of 3,701
I have this awful, awful habit of impulse buying expensive gear I've never heard.

And I've done it again here. I've grown into somewhat of a Beyerdynamic fanboy, the the Tesla line being particularly interesting to me. I LOVE the T5Ps, but I've really been itching to hear more of the Tesla lineup.

Being a 250 ohm headphone, I feel like these might pair well with my last impulse buy, my Woo Audio WA2. This amp breathes some serious new life into the DT770 Pro 80s, so I'm even more excited to how these will sound through it.

I actually got one of those bundle on Amazon, which comes with some extra random crap like an extra carrying case and a micro SD card (???), but it also comes with the Beyerdynamic A20 amp. So for $100 more than the standalone headphones, why the hell not?

Lord help my wallet.

I’ve grown into a Beyerdynamic fanboy myself. I honestly quite enjoyed the DT 1770 as well as the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. I currently own a T1.2, Amiron Home, and my favorite Beyer of all time a modified DT 480. I’ve gotten deals like that. No idea why a micro SD card is included. The Tesla 2.0 Beyers(DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home) do have some sonic differences from the other Tesla's. I always thought they were a bit more euphoric and engaging sounding than the other Teslas.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #2,963 of 3,701
Dekoni sheepskin fitted and tested out finally didn't expect much as the brainwavz hybrids are really good in all aspects of comfort, isolation, and SQ. Well I'll eat my words ! the Dekonis are easy to fit 5 minutes tops, nice fit around the ears comfortable and didn't get ear sweat after a good hour of listening and great isolation had the amp cranked up and didn't disturb the other half. Sound wise I was really impressed very spacious and everything sounded spot on, low end had punch but no muddiness mids smooth and highs clear without any shrillness. These cost me £62 in the UK which I thought was too much when I bought them but after listening to the Beyers with these fitted they are now staying on and I highly recommend them. The brainwavz are great and cheaper and if your on a budget perfect but I'd save up and splash the cash on the Dekonis you won't regret it.
15401462259468269187000039450065.jpg

Oct 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #2,964 of 3,701
Dekoni sheepskin fitted and tested out finally didn't expect much as the brainwavz hybrids are really good in all aspects of comfort, isolation, and SQ. Well I'll eat my words ! the Dekonis are easy to fit 5 minutes tops, nice fit around the ears comfortable and didn't get ear sweat after a good hour of listening and great isolation had the amp cranked up and didn't disturb the other half. Sound wise I was really impressed very spacious and everything sounded spot on, low end had punch but no muddiness mids smooth and highs clear without any shrillness. These cost me £62 in the UK which I thought was too much when I bought them but after listening to the Beyers with these fitted they are now staying on and I highly recommend them. The brainwavz are great and cheaper and if your on a budget perfect but I'd save up and splash the cash on the Dekonis you won't regret it.

Excellent review ledzep!

I'm gonna bookmark this as well! :L3000:

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2,965 of 3,701
My goodness, what a delightful headphone. First impressions have really blown me away. In particular: just how lively and engaging they are. This is not a headphone you relax to, these demand that you jam out to them.

The bass in particular is utterly intoxicating. So powerful, yet so clean and articulate. Especially in the mid-fi scene, there's usually a trade-off between being REALLY articulate, and powerful. The DT770 Pro 80 is fairly articulate, and quite powerful, but it definitely leans more toward powerful. Something like my T5p leans more toward being very articulate, while being a little more subdued on the bass. These just crash any expectation by doing both immensely well. The only tiny nitpick I have is I wish they'd extend a little lower with that ridiculous power. The only reason I say that nitpick is tiny is because I think maybe it could ruin some of the character of the overall sound. They might end up sounding too bassy.

Mids are about where I expected them: very good. They definitely lean more toward the energetic side, with the lower mids not being as pronounced as the upper mids. By no means recessed, just not where the emphasis is. They're generally a little better balanced than the T5p, since there ISN'T that dip in the lower mids, but these also have a habit of being a little more shouty at higher volumes. I imagine some of that can be attributed to the treble.

Treble is an interesting creature on this headphone. I have sorta a weak ear for treble, so it's hard to nail down what's going on. Extension seems to be really good, and I suspect there may be little peaks and dips throughout. Maybe dips in the lower mids, and small peaks as it goes up? At any rate, I like it. I've noticed singers with more textured voices lose a little bit of that growl and scratch in their voice. Someone like Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits sounds a little smoother than with other headphones. I would say these are a less than ideal fit for the likes of them if you really want to pick of every nuance of their voice. I would say that misses the point of these headphones, though. I feel like more than anything these are trying to wow you not on the strength of it's vocal clarity, but on how it handles every other instrument.

It's funny: even music with garbage mastering sounds wonderful on these.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #2,966 of 3,701
So I had to remove the A20 I got with these from my desktop setup. For whatever reason I'm getting some sort of interference with my computer, which is leading to VERY audible noise. It's especially bad when running games. It's so loud I can hear it over the game's sound.

It's the oddest thing, because I don't get it with any other amp, and even when I run a USB DAC between the computer and amp I'm getting the noise.

It's frustrating, because it's really a fantastic amp, and since it has RCA output it simplifies my setup.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,967 of 3,701
So I had to remove the A20 I got with these from my desktop setup. For whatever reason I'm getting some sort of interference with my computer, which is leading to VERY audible noise. It's especially bad when running games. It's so loud I can hear it over the game's sound.

It's the oddest thing, because I don't get it with any other amp, and even when I run a USB DAC between the computer and amp I'm getting the noise.

It's frustrating, because it's really a fantastic amp, and since it has RCA output it simplifies my setup.

That sux Kukuk. At least though you have A LOT of great alternatives to choose from. I don't do desktop setups, but if I did, I'd DEF get an amp or amp/DAC with the vacuum tube lights on 'em. They look so cool! lol :L3000::sunglasses:

Oct 24, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #2,968 of 3,701
One thing that's really striking about these is just how large the center image is. Even mono recordings have some size to them, rather than just being a little dot in the center of your head.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #2,970 of 3,701
They really DO have a truly "magical" sound to them.
I think the 1770’s are absolutely superb. When you need closed-backed headphones, with a neutral signature, there are no better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back