Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,821 of 3,701
Who knows.

Some people, myself included, think that due to the balanced and analytical pads that come with the DT1990 it's effectively both a DT1880 and DT1990 in one headphone, and therefore there's no need for a separate DT1880. Other people, however, are holding onto the idea that Beyer will eventually produce a DT1880.

Beyer says if I told the same question: ‘no comment‘

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #2,822 of 3,701
Who knows.

Some people, myself included, think that due to the balanced and analytical pads that come with the DT1990 it's effectively both a DT1880 and DT1990 in one headphone, and therefore there's no need for a separate DT1880. Other people, however, are holding onto the idea that Beyer will eventually produce a DT1880.
Agreed. I prefer mine with the analytical pads give a similar bass to the original 990, I've found them to be good with all genres, and as an alrounder, imo, the 1990 is the best Beyer at the mo.

Dec 5, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #2,824 of 3,701
OK so I've been trying to make up my mind to get a pair of those and I keep seeing some reviews which are quite negative, like metal571's review

Is this likely to be just personal preference and if I liked the DT770 a lot, could I rely on the DT1770 to be a decent upgrade from that? I can get them for twice the price of the 770s and I just love the way they look - so as long as they are a definite improvement and if they have more clarity/more pronounced mids I would consider that a good upgrade. Just for reference, I currently have a pair of HD650s and I was able to use the DT770s for a few weeks

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #2,825 of 3,701
OK so I've been trying to make up my mind to get a pair of those and I keep seeing some reviews which are quite negative, like metal571's review

Is this likely to be just personal preference and if I liked the DT770 a lot, could I rely on the DT1770 to be a decent upgrade from that? I can get them for twice the price of the 770s and I just love the way they look - so as long as they are a definite improvement and if they have more clarity/more pronounced mids I would consider that a good upgrade. Just for reference, I currently have a pair of HD650s and I was able to use the DT770s for a few weeks

This not an easy question to answer as there are lots of variables to take into account, ie your own hearing, your set up, what you listen to etc, imo the 770's seem to divide opinion a bit more than the 1770, the consensus seems to be that the 1770 is a step up in audio quality but is as you say more expensive, as I mentioned in a post earlier the 770 is brighter in the highs, the bass goes deep but is just a touch loose, mids are detailed but slightly recessed, the basic sound of the 1770 is similar ie v shaped but smoother highs and a more detailed and overall more refined sound compared to the 770, what is it that you like and dislike about the 650?, maybe going on reviews, opinions of both phones you can come to a conclusion as to which offers you more of the sound you are looking for compared to the 650, another way of course would just be to buy the 770, keep it for a while and then get the 1770 but of course that will mean you spending more money, if you can't try them out then it is ultimately it is a leap of faith.

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,827 of 3,701
I forgot to mention are you after a closed back for practical reasons or is it purely because you think they will be better?, if you are looking for a phone with just a better sound then you should also have a look at the 1990, they are superb.
+1

Dec 6, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,828 of 3,701

I wouldn't go too much on reviews like this. My advice would be, if you like the sound signature of the 770's, then you will love the 1770's. The 1770's are just a much better sounding version of the 770's, with the same sound signature.
I do think the law of 'diminishing returns' kicks-in with the 1770's though. Are they really worth 3x the price of it's cheaper brother? Personally, I don't think so, but that's only because the 770's are so good. However, the 1770's are better, in every way possible (sound, construction, finish etc).

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,829 of 3,701
This not an easy question to answer as there are lots of variables to take into account, ie your own hearing, your set up, what you listen to etc, imo the 770's seem to divide opinion a bit more than the 1770, the consensus seems to be that the 1770 is a step up in audio quality but is as you say more expensive, as I mentioned in a post earlier the 770 is brighter in the highs, the bass goes deep but is just a touch loose, mids are detailed but slightly recessed, the basic sound of the 1770 is similar ie v shaped but smoother highs and a more detailed and overall more refined sound compared to the 770, what is it that you like and dislike about the 650?, maybe going on reviews, opinions of both phones you can come to a conclusion as to which offers you more of the sound you are looking for compared to the 650, another way of course would just be to buy the 770, keep it for a while and then get the 1770 but of course that will mean you spending more money, if you can't try them out then it is ultimately it is a leap of faith.
I would whole-heartedly agree. Get yourself a (used?) pair of 770 80ohm and live with them for a while. If you really like them, then go for the 1770's.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #2,830 of 3,701
I would whole-heartedly agree. Get yourself a (used?) pair of 770 80ohm and live with them for a while. If you really like them, then go for the 1770's.
Spot on, there are plenty of used 770's for sale, and if you like them you might not want to upgrade and just enjoy a great sounding headphone at a reasonable price.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #2,831 of 3,701
Thanks guys, appreciated. I've been trying to find some places where I can try the 1770 hands on but I haven't found any nearby so far.

To those of you who have tried them, I noticed that some of them classify them as dynamic, fun and aggressive while others say they are 'slow' and boring. Which description do you think is more accurate?

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,832 of 3,701
Thanks guys, appreciated. I've been trying to find some places where I can try the 1770 hands on but I haven't found any nearby so far.

To those of you who have tried them, I noticed that some of them classify them as dynamic, fun and aggressive while others say they are 'slow' and boring. Which description do you think is more accurate?
I wouldn't call them 'slow' or boring at all. Dynamic and fun? Yes.
They do lack some 'openness' compared to an open-backed pair of cans, but that's to be expected.

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,833 of 3,701

Everybody has a different perception of sound, but for me the closest description would be a fun, dynamic and agile with good attack and slam, a good all round headphone.

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #2,835 of 3,701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back