Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,506 of 3,701
Just pulled the trigger on my 1770s after perusing this forum. I bought them via Amazon - hoping they don't drop in price for Black Friday like last year lol.

Can't wait to hear them paired with my Mojo. Seems like a top tier mobile mid-fi set up :).

Also, first post wew laddos!

Trust me, they will go for $350 as opposed to $450 they did last year while they remain $599 in their true worth. Strange world.

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #2,507 of 3,701
Just pulled the trigger on my 1770s after perusing this forum. I bought them via Amazon - hoping they don't drop in price for Black Friday like last year lol.

Can't wait to hear them paired with my Mojo. Seems like a top tier mobile mid-fi set up :).

Welcome. Anyway Mojo is a good pairing with 1770, (imho)it removes the hollowness.

I tried it with iDSD Micro - it sounded hollow

Can also fix the Hollowness with tube amp

Nov 13, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,508 of 3,701
Trust me, they will go for $350 as opposed to $450 they did last year while they remain $599 in their true worth. Strange world.

Bleh, if that's the case, I'll talk to customer support and see if they'll give me the difference back...otherwise I'll just return them and buy them again :p

Can't wait to hear them paired with my Mojo. Seems like a top tier mobile mid-fi set up
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome. Anyway Mojo is a good pairing with 1770, (imho)it removes the hollowness.

I tried it with iDSD Micro - it sounded hollow

Can also fix the Hollowness with tube amp

That's what I've been reading! I am very hyped.

Nov 13, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #2,509 of 3,701
Am I crazy for thinking the MSR7s sound just as good as the DT 1770's? Yes, with the pleather pads the low-end is pretty sweet. But aside that I'm not seeing a major "wow" factor that warrants the extra $400.

It's worth mentioning the MSR7's have burn-in while the DT-1770s have been used for 10 minutes.

EDIT: for the record, the DT 1770s glorious comfort make the MSR7's feel like a bear trap on my skull.

I've heard the msr7 has more pronounced treble (i.e. bright) and not much low end slam.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #2,510 of 3,701
Anyone who has a dt1770 with rattling when listening to music, I highly advise looking at this old thread, it actually helped with the rattling for me. Still have very occasional rattling but not nearly as bad as before. The same daft punk test I tried last time has no rattling now

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579944/solution-found-for-dt880-grattle-rattle-problem-at-low-frequencies/0_40

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #2,511 of 3,701
I've heard the msr7 has more pronounced treble (i.e. bright) and not much low end slam.

I love my MSR7. Having been looking to upgrade these to have better soundstage and instrument separation. I bought the T5P gen 2 and still like the MSR 7 better. Was looking at the DT1770 thinking maybe they may be what I am looking for. Now that I see this, maybe not. Still searching for the right headphones.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,512 of 3,701
  I love my MSR7. Having been looking to upgrade these to have better soundstage and instrument separation. I bought the T5P gen 2 and still like the MSR 7 better. Was looking at the DT1770 thinking maybe they may be what I am looking for. Now that I see this, maybe not. Still searching for the right headphones.

They also have a ATH-M70x.

Nov 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #2,513 of 3,701

The dt1770 is really a polar opposite to the msr7, if you love the msr7 then I don't think you will exactly love the dt1770. The dt1770 has a more hollow and laid back midrange with a lot more bass quantity. They do have the larger soundstage you are looking for though so if you don't mind making those sacrifices I listed then give them a shot

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #2,514 of 3,701
The dt1770 is really a polar opposite to the msr7, if you love the msr7 then I don't think you will exactly love the dt1770. The dt1770 has a more hollow and laid back midrange with a lot more bass quantity. They do have the larger soundstage you are looking for though so if you don't mind making those sacrifices I listed then give them a shot

Let me put it that way, the DT1770 is a very capable closed headphone, built to last for decades, long time availability of all spare parts at a reasonable pricing, so it's worth to get used to, even if it takes some time.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #2,515 of 3,701
IMHO, DT-1770 - upgraded MSR7 in terms of ALL qualities and completely worth of additional $. a990z is a little better than MSR7, but usable only at home (MSR7 obviously suits for portable use). DT1770 doesnt have lot more bass quantity, its just better contolled and more holistic. Mids of 1770s are not laid-back: lower mids got punch, great transient response; higher ones got great melodiousness yet not being very agressive. Yep, if u compare it to 800S - they got better upper mids (better for classic for sure), but they sound more off the balance with thinner/colder sound signature, with deffinitely less warmth in lower mids/upper-mid bass. Its all about your prefs and the music u wanna listen to. MSR7 are a bit on the bright side; dt-1770 has less agressive highs. I've chosen dt-1770 as its better balanced, more comfy, more grown-up/serious sound.
MSR7's are great for its value, but still DT-1770 provides overall more serious listening experience sounding more spacious, dynamic, analitical, musical with greater detalization. If u want better sound for msr7s money - go for a990z instead. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #2,517 of 3,701
IMHO, DT-1770 - upgraded MSR7 in terms of ALL qualities and completely worth of additional $. a990z is a little better than MSR7, but usable only at home (MSR7 obviously suits for portable use). DT1770 doesnt have lot more bass quantity, its just better contolled and more holistic. Mids of 1770s are not laid-back: lower mids got punch, great transient response; higher ones got great melodiousness yet not being very agressive. Yep, if u compare it to 800S - they got better upper mids (better for classic for sure), but they sound more off the balance with thinner/colder sound signature, with deffinitely less warmth in lower mids/upper-mid bass. Its all about your prefs and the music u wanna listen to. MSR7 are a bit on the bright side; dt-1770 has less agressive highs. I've chosen dt-1770 as its better balanced, more comfy, more grown-up/serious sound.
MSR7's are great for its value, but still DT-1770 provides overall more serious listening experience sounding more spacious, dynamic, analitical, musical with greater detalization. If u want better sound for msr7s money - go for a990z instead. 

The mids are laid back, that is just a fact. Check the frequency response measurements, that's how my ears heard them when I first got them and that's how I still hear them. The dt1770 is by no means a balanced/serious sound compared to the msr7, the dt1770 are more of a "fun" sounding headphone than anything else. Still has exaggerated bass, dip in the mids, and a treble peak. Not saying the dt1770 is bad because I do like them. But you are being very misleading

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,518 of 3,701
The mids are laid back, that is just a fact. Check the frequency response measurements, that's how my ears heard them when I first got them and that's how I still hear them. The dt1770 is by no means a balanced/serious sound compared to the msr7, the dt1770 are more of a "fun" sounding headphone than anything else. Still has exaggerated bass, dip in the mids, and a treble peak. Not saying the dt1770 is bad because I do like them. But you are being very misleading

This is the danger of trying to translate the nuances of sound into words in order to communicate...it's an endeavor fraught with a thousand pitfalls.

1st of all, due to the differences in ear physiology, what I hear will not be identical to what you hear.
2nd, my idea of recessed, bright, bassy, etc may not be the same as you.
3rd, when comparing headphones, the differences can seem extreme when going from one to the other and can alter what we perceive as neutral.

Here are what some well regarded reviewers are saying about the 1770:

Dale Thorn "The bass seems nearly ideal to me -strong with great impact when music tracks contain real bass, but not the least bit bloated, boomy, muddy, etc. And BTW, not just "strong, but...." followed by the usual caveats - it's the real deal. The midrange is excellent - I tentatively measured a tiny broad emphasis around 450 hz, but it's not enough to be certain at this point in time. The treble seems very slightly shy from about 1.5 to 4 khz, making voices and a few instruments sound a tad more distant than ideal, but in switching the test equalizer off, the sound is barely different, suggesting to me that it's not important to the overall experience."

Tim Gideon (PC Mag) "The sub-bass synth hits that punctuate the beat are delivered with a bit more focus on their raspy top notes than the deeper tones beneath, but they don't sound weak. The vocals stand out in the mix through the DT 1770 Pro, sitting front and center, perfectly clear and never overly sibilant, nor overshadowed by the busy instrumental elements beneath them."

and Lieven over at Headphonia "The mids have a good amount of body as well but not as much as the bass has. The mids are rich sounding, precise and dynamic with good depth and timbre. Because of the slightly more forward vocals, bigger bass body and upper mids you might expect a more V-curved sound but that actually isn’t really the case. The vocals are precise and natural and they’re certainly one of the strongest points of this headphone. I don’t find the treble to be hot at all but it’s energetic and detailed. Its presentation is lively, extended and airy enough to make it precise yet enjoyable at the same time."

Now whether you agree with these reviewers is irrelevant (to an extent). What I'm trying to illustrate is NOT that you're wrong, but that we all perceive things differently. Everyone would (likely) agree that the pleather pads add bass to the sound signature, but not everyone would agree if that was better or nor. There are lots of people that don't find the mids recessed. I myself  hear a smoothness that can edge toward recession on SOME tracks...depending on the recording. I just feel it is counterproductive to say "the way I heard it is right". Even if it matches the measurements. For example there is no doubt that the Meze 99 Classics measure a roll off below 50 HZ but most people don't seem to hear it that way. Have a little faith in the readers here. This website is chock full of differing opinions. We're all allowed to express them, I have a problem when it veers toward an argument. Please don't take this as me trying to start one!!

Nov 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2,520 of 3,701

This is the danger of trying to translate the nuances of sound into words in order to communicate...it's an endeavor fraught with a thousand pitfalls.

1st of all, due to the differences in ear physiology, what I hear will not be identical to what you hear.
2nd, my idea of recessed, bright, bassy, etc may not be the same as you.
3rd, when comparing headphones, the differences can seem extreme when going from one to the other and can alter what we perceive as neutral.

Here are what some well regarded reviewers are saying about the 1770:

Dale Thorn "The bass seems nearly ideal to me -strong with great impact when music tracks contain real bass, but not the least bit bloated, boomy, muddy, etc. And BTW, not just "strong, but...." followed by the usual caveats - it's the real deal. The midrange is excellent - I tentatively measured a tiny broad emphasis around 450 hz, but it's not enough to be certain at this point in time. The treble seems very slightly shy from about 1.5 to 4 khz, making voices and a few instruments sound a tad more distant than ideal, but in switching the test equalizer off, the sound is barely different, suggesting to me that it's not important to the overall experience."

Tim Gideon (PC Mag) "The sub-bass synth hits that punctuate the beat are delivered with a bit more focus on their raspy top notes than the deeper tones beneath, but they don't sound weak. The vocals stand out in the mix through the DT 1770 Pro, sitting front and center, perfectly clear and never overly sibilant, nor overshadowed by the busy instrumental elements beneath them."

and Lieven over at Headphonia "The mids have a good amount of body as well but not as much as the bass has. The mids are rich sounding, precise and dynamic with good depth and timbre. Because of the slightly more forward vocals, bigger bass body and upper mids you might expect a more V-curved sound but that actually isn’t really the case. The vocals are precise and natural and they’re certainly one of the strongest points of this headphone. I don’t find the treble to be hot at all but it’s energetic and detailed. Its presentation is lively, extended and airy enough to make it precise yet enjoyable at the same time."

Now whether you agree with these reviewers is irrelevant (to an extent). What I'm trying to illustrate is NOT that you're wrong, but that we all perceive things differently. Everyone would (likely) agree that the pleather pads add bass to the sound signature, but not everyone would agree if that was better or nor. There are lots of people that don't find the mids recessed. I myself  hear a smoothness that can edge toward recession on SOME tracks...depending on the recording. I just feel it is counterproductive to say "the way I heard it is right". Even if it matches the measurements. For example there is no doubt that the Meze 99 Classics measure a roll off below 50 HZ but most people don't seem to hear it that way. Have a little faith in the readers here. This website is chock full of differing opinions. We're all allowed to express them, I have a problem when it veers toward an argument. Please don't take this as me trying to start one!!

I was speaking of the frequency response, "hearing differently" mostly means having different preferences, but in the end our ears all work the same way with the biggest variables being hearing loss or subjective preferences (which we all have). Of course it is "neutral" for some people and not neutral for others, we have to keep in mind this is not due to significant variances in our ears but our perception and preferences. Objectively speaking, there is a dip in the mids whether or not it makes a difference to you or someone else. Personally, I am very sensitive to dips to the mids at 2khz and higher which is why I would say the mids overall are laid back, others find the mid bass to be of greater importance or not prioritize vocals which I can completely understand.

I never stated my opinion as absolute, I gave my perspective of the msr7 vs dt1770, and the dt1770 objectively does have less mids than the msr7 (not saying the msr7 is neutral or anything). He disagreed with my perspective on the dt1770 so I just used the frequency chart to back my statement up. There is a difference between saying there is a dip in the mids as an absolute then stating my opinion based on that rather than saying the mids will always be laid back for everyone who listens to the dt1770. Now objectively speaking for someone who likes the msr7, I would assume that the mids presentation of the msr7 would be great for that person, which would mean that comparatively speaking, the dt1770 would have laid back mids for someone who likes the sound signature of the msr7. Not everyones likes the msr7 and not everyone will agree with me, but my statements were relevant to the question. This might make it seem like I'm criticizing the dt1770 as a "bad headphone" but I do like the dt1770, but for different reasons and I will always have my criticism of every headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back