Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #1,501 of 3,701
  "take away everything which isn't 100% needed"

The above statement does not make much sense to me.
eek.gif

It's not supposed to. Imagine doing that to a car?

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,502 of 3,701

The above statement does not make much sense to me.
eek.gif

People mod cars all the time. 

Please try not to be too thick. What is needed for the headphone to operate properly is obvious. Drivers, wires, headband, cups, and ear pads.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #1,503 of 3,701
Update: I started a mod thread over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/796360/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-mod-thread

Please head over if you want to talk about modding the DT-1770's
smile.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #1,504 of 3,701
  Update: I started a mod thread over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/796360/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-mod-thread

Please head over if you want to talk about modding the DT-1770's
smile.gif

Thanks for keeping mods separate. It may well be of interest to a bunch of people who also benefit of having that info not spread out through another thread.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #1,505 of 3,701
Anyone with the DT1770s have any warmth or heat issues with their ears?  Also I really, really hope they come out with a DT1880 or DT1990.  If they can offer the same improvements as they did for the 1770, it'll be some real show stoppers.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #1,506 of 3,701
  Anyone with the DT1770s have any warmth or heat issues with their ears?  Also I really, really hope they come out with a DT1880 or DT1990.  If they can offer the same improvements as they did for the 1770, it'll be some real show stoppers.

Ears got a bit hot and sweaty after a couple of hours with the pleather but no such problem with the velour pads, which I prefer for sound anyway.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #1,507 of 3,701

From my observation, DT 1770 makes the wearer look hot more likely than feel hot. :wink: The best looking closed cans ever seen.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,509 of 3,701
  How good is the stock cable purity?
Is there a need to upgrade to Nucleotide or Mogami cable,
if one were to mod DT 1770 into 4-core cable with 2.5mm termination for DP-X1?

That reads like "Can I mod the cables in any way? I have way too much money to spend on things that don't change anything!"

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,510 of 3,701

That reads like "Can I mod the cables in any way? I have way too much money to spend on things that don't change anything!"

I do understand your balanced-misconception argument.
But I was considering it anyway since my Onkyo DP-X1 offers dual-DAC use when I connect to its balanced-out
as opposed to single DAC in SE the difference between which is said to be really substantial.
Fair enough?

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,511 of 3,701

From my observation, DT 1770 makes the wearer look hot more likely than feel hot.
wink.gif
The best looking closed cans ever seen.

Really? Better than the Ether C, Ultrasone Editions line, or Fostex Th900? I mean I like the looks of the 1770, but "best"? I don't think so. Utilitarian comes to mind. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,513 of 3,701

The above statement does not make much sense to me. :eek:

People mod cars all the time. 

Please try not to be too thick. What is needed for the headphone to operate properly is obvious. Drivers, wires, headband, cups, and ear pads.

It's what I do, but Group C cars are notoriously uncomfortable, loud, and difficult to control under less than ideal conditions and haven't much in the way of amenities, usually not even carpets. QED, one of our cars is a Ruf CTR conversion, a 500 whp slantnose beast. I love it on track, if it's a nice, sunny day, sometimes even on a rural road with a good surface and little traffic. Otherwise, no thanks, my kidneys, ears, and nerves can't take the abuse. There's a lot to be said for driving a race car, it can be a thrilling experience, but it's not something any sane person would want to do all the time.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #1,514 of 3,701
I find it ridiculous that many humans here feel the need to "mod" their phones, especially this one. Do you buy, say a pair of $10k B&W loudspeakers and immediately crack them open and begin to replace, hack, cut etc, thinking all along that you know more than the team of engineers who labored intensively over the design for years using the most sophisticated computers, software and manufacturing techniques available to a multi-million dollar company in an attempt to improve the sound? Maybe modding a cheap pair of phones is one thing but certainly not the DT1770s. I own them and find them to be exemplary performers, especially at their price point. If their sonic signature is not what you wanted, then maybe you should have done more research. Oh and BTW, you just null and voided any manufacturer warranties and decreased your chances of resale once the potential buyer learns you hacked them up. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #1,515 of 3,701
What really kills me about a friend of mine is that he's already got his tools and solder iron warming up as soon as any kit is delivered.
He doesn't even give his equipment a chance to show how it sounds before he starts pulling things apart. Then when he's finished he tells me how much better he's made it sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back