Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 21, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,471 of 3,701

the 1770 is easier to drive than the 770/250. Will your iPhone produce ear-splitting volume the 1770? Probably not, but it will be loud enough for most normal people. 

Cool thanks for all the info guys. So if I got something like the Schiit Stack, would that be a decent budget dac/amp combo to help get more out of the 1770's? Or should I just wait and save for a Lyr/Bifrost combo as that is better for the 1770's?

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,472 of 3,701

the 1770 is easier to drive than the 770/250. Will your iPhone produce ear-splitting volume the 1770? Probably not, but it will be loud enough for most normal people. 

Cool thanks for all the info guys. So if I got something like the Schiit Stack, would that be a decent budget dac/amp combo to help get more out of the 1770's? Or should I just wait and save for a Lyr/Bifrost combo as that is better for the 1770's?

Modi/Magni (or vali) are a great stack, and will serve you well. Anything more than that will get you into "better, but diminishing returns" territory. You will always want better than you have. The bane of this hobby is the never end quest for the "end game" rig. It ain't there. Get something that makes you happy (and the schiit stack will), and enjoy the music. When you have money to spare, then consider upgrading. Don't make the hobby about the gear; make it about the listening.

A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. 
or
Schiit on your desk is better than no **** at all! 

:wink:

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,473 of 3,701
  To be clear, the discussion I was responding to was comparing the T70 to the DT1770. The DT1770 is rolled off compared to the T70. I was not comparing the DT1770 to any other headphones in that post. 

I have compared the DT1770 to the TH600, the DT770, the Ether C, the T90, and PMx2. The DT1770 has less treble all of the headphones. If you prefer a warmer sound signature, like with the Senn 598 (as I remember it from a long time ago), then the 1770 will probably please you. If you prefer the "traditional" signature beyerdynamic "somewhat bright" sound, then the 1770 will not provide that.

I think beyerdynamic is responding to the many reviews of many of their high end headphones and are now tuning the headphones with less treble. This seems to be true of the T1 and T5 2nd gen versions, and the 1770 seems to provide relatively less treble (with corresponding better bass and mids) than the 770. This change will probably help with reviews from stalwart review sites like InnerFidelity (Tyll doesn't like bright). beyer is probably tired of the few reviews that complain of "lack of bass" or "ear piercing highs", so they are tuning the cans warmer. 

Well, the th600 is known for having a v shaped signature (no?) so by nature it will be brighter than neutral, the T90 from is said to be quite bright (too bright according to some). So you culd say the DT 1170 is "rolled off" by comparison, others would say those other headphones are bright.

I think beyerdynamic is responding to the many reviews of many of their high end headphones and are now tuning the headphones with less treble. This seems to be true of the T1 and T5 2nd gen versions, and the 1770 seems to provide relatively less treble (with corresponding better bass and mids) than the 770. This change will probably help with reviews from stalwart review sites like InnerFidelity (Tyll doesn't like bright). beyer is probably tired of the few reviews that complain of "lack of bass" or "ear piercing highs", so they are tuning the cans warmer. 

Any many of us are grateful. :wink:

Though the DT 1770 may be too bassy for a reference headphone, but quite fun. I personally prefer the extra bass over the extra treble. :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #1,474 of 3,701

Modi/Magni (or vali) are a great stack, and will serve you well. Anything more than that will get you into "better, but diminishing returns" territory. You will always want better than you have. The bane of this hobby is the never end quest for the "end game" rig. It ain't there. Get something that makes you happy (and the schiit stack will), and enjoy the music. When you have money to spare, then consider upgrading. Don't make the hobby about the gear; make it about the listening.

or

Cool. I think i'll get the stack for now and worry about upgrading later on down the road lol.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #1,475 of 3,701

Oppo HA-2.
$299.
Which I use with DT 1770 to supreme satisfaction.

Chord Mojo.
$799
(Which undoubtedly the best DAC-Amp below $1200 as most people confessed)

FiiO E17
$140
(Greatest value-for-money below $150)

Btw, I heard that DT 1770, unlike any other beyer headphone, sounds better on solid state amp than a tube.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,476 of 3,701

Oppo HA-2.
$299.
Which I use with DT 1770 to supreme satisfaction.

Chord Mojo.
$799
(Which undoubtedly the best DAC-Amp below $1200 as most people confessed)

FiiO E17
$140
(Greatest value-for-money below $150)

Btw, I heard that DT 1770, unlike any other beyer headphone, sounds better on solid state amp than a tube.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was looking for a desktop set-up as these probably won't be on-the-go cans for me. That Oppo HA-2 is schnazzy looking though lol. Might have to invest in that at some point.

Jan 22, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #1,477 of 3,701
Thanks for the recommendations. I was looking for a desktop set-up as these probably won't be on-the-go cans for me. That Oppo HA-2 is schnazzy looking though lol. Might have to invest in that at some point.

(FiiO E09K+FiiO E17) combo work together in dock and can drive even beyerdynamic DT 990 (600ohm) pretty well and musically. Further, FiiO E17 can work alone as a portable DAC/Amp. And FiiOE09K is a powerful desktop amp on its own. The combo costs less than $220.

Jan 22, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,479 of 3,701

There's always something that seems to be better (it may even in fact be better), don't get hung up by that. The little Schiit stack is decent quality for sure.

or

Well said.

Can anybody suggest a very compact and sturdy hard case for DT 1770 PRO for daily travel? Not that Slappa which seems to reak of tobacco smell.

While I think that no hard case will make the DT1770 compact, you might want to try Beyers own case:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/dt-hard-case.html
Should fit but you'll have to take off the cable.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #1,480 of 3,701
Recieved my DT1770's yesterday, initial findings were promising. Nice solid build quality, look and feel better in person than in the pictures. Very comfortable. Sound is good too but too early to say too much.

Today I started modifying them a bit... waiting for some mini-xlr connectors so that I can make my own cable as well. More to follow...

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,481 of 3,701
Recieved my DT1770's yesterday, initial findings were promising. Nice solid build quality, look and feel better in person than in the pictures. Very comfortable. Sound is good too but too early to say too much.

Today I started modifying them a bit... waiting for some mini-xlr connectors so that I can make my own cable as well. More to follow...

Interested in your modifications and findings following them...

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #1,484 of 3,701
  Does anyone own the X2 together with the DT1770? Is there anything that the X2 can do that is better than the DT1770?

Gaming, I that matter to you.
Openness (obviously)
A little more bass quantity (doesn't necessarily make it better, just is)

The Openness and extra bass give the X2  its own fun sound.

DT 1770 would be the technically superior headphone.

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,485 of 3,701
@shuto77 (on metal)

I can give input for that.

The band needs to have a good mixer/mastering dude. Most metal may sound terrible, because these headphones excel with good mixes and they can separate instruments really well. You may learn to re-appreciate some bands.

Slipknot has one of the best mixes. Everything sounds really clear.
Same goes for Metallica bar that terrible Death Magnetic.
Zeppelin sounds great if you got a hold of one of the good mixes (Diament or 1990 boxed set)
Newer Motorhead records sound compressed, so you may not enjoy them as much with the DT 1770.
Nine Inch Nails sounds great, if you have high quality files.
On the same note, How To Destroy Angels sounds also very good if you got the FLAC files from their site.
Readiohead sounds also excellent as well.
Likewise for Deep Purple, Metallica and Lou Reed's Lulu, Megadeth.
Pantera (Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven) sound great because the dry riffs go well with the DT1770 speed.
Great Southern Trendkill, though, doesn't sound as nice. A bit harsh.
It's sad that, like the later Motorhead and Death Magnetic, Reinventing the Steel also falls victim to the loudness war and compression.
Rob Zombie is OK. Hellbilly Deluxe sounds a bit compressed, but it may be the Zombie sound anyhow.
Spineshank, on the other hand, sounds very good, albeit like Rob Zombie, it doesn't feel like a very elaborate mix.
Argentina's legendary A.N.I.M.A.L.'s Poder Latino sounds very, very good.

Forget about Korn, most of their mixing sounds not good. It feels like they'll need the cheap stereo to go with the current terrible taste.

All in all, I think the DT1770 will clearly show you who's got talent in the mixing deck regardless of how talented the band may be.
It's a sad prospect for some of the newer recordings that are overly compressed to satisfy the mp3 crowd listening through standard earbuds.
While there is a reason to supply these new recordings with poorly mastered choices, I find it depressing to find that not many bands pay attention of what sort of mastering reaches the CDs.
It may be OK for a phone and itunes or Spotify, but not for CDs in case later on you wish to rediscover the music you have.

I find it unsurprising that some of the bands that sound the best are the ones people would associate with pedantic character/persona: Metallica (Lars Ulrich), Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor). It pays off to see hone down your sound from start to finish, though.

Hope this helps

PS: I'm using the DT1770 with the DT770 velour pads. I feel they neutralize the bass more. I haven't had much time to follow this thread because of work but I am also researching into using an EQ. I tried one in my previous Windows install and it worked great on a first try. It really brought the DT1770 into a place where they sounded neutral and balances without any distortion on anything I was listneing to (at the time: Buena Vista Social Club, David Bowie, Zeppelin, Depeche Mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back