Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #1,367 of 3,701
Already ordered a pair for 800 $. This is in Denmark with a 25% tax on all items..

Do you mean T5p 2nd gen? If so, where did you manage to order it?

I'm probably gonna be one of the first owners of the new T5p. Though I love the sound of my DT-1770, the clamping force is just too high for comfortable everuday use. Tried to stretch them but it didn't work.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,369 of 3,701
Hi everybody,
it's Klaus from beyerdynamic. Just to avoid confusion: the DT 1770 PRO will not replace the T 70 or T 70 p, which are consumer headphones. The DT 1770 PRO is a professional headphone and as a such, our higher-grade alternative to the trusted DT 770 PRO.
Most distinguishing feature, of course, are the Tesla drivers. It's the first over-ear professional headphone from beyerdynamic with Tesla technology drivers, but not the first professional in general: remember DT 1350?

I love the dt1350 my fav on ear

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #1,371 of 3,701
  Anyone with these headphones made a comparison with the SRH1540's yet? I'm interested in both as they are around the same price point and they seem similar to each other. 

My 1770's are on order (thanks SonicElectronix), and I've had the 1540's. I compared the 1540's to the 770's quite a it. The 1540's are really comfortable, if you can live with the headband. Sure would have a huge winner if they simply improved the headband.

That said, the Shures are little more in the 770 class, IMHO. Many would argue they are "horrendously" v-shaped, but I don't agree. I think they are fun, but the 770's are funner (more fun?).

The 1770's are going to have way more clamp than the 1540's. To some, the clamp is too much, but to others, they welcome the solid bass. If you are going too wear the headphones for many hours a time, like a more fun sound (a little V int he frequency response curve), the 1540's or 770 premiums might be better. I'll comment more once I have the 1770's they are broken in, and I've had some good listening sessions with them. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #1,372 of 3,701
Do you mean T5p 2nd gen? If so, where did you manage to order it?

I'm probably gonna be one of the first owners of the new T5p. Though I love the sound of my DT-1770, the clamping force is just too high for comfortable everuday use. Tried to stretch them but it didn't work.

Well, I actually ordered the Gen 1, but I just got a mail today that they didn't stock that any more. He offered me to change the order into the T5p Gen 2 for the same price as I paid for then Gen 1. He said it'd ship in a month.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,373 of 3,701
Shure SRH1540 --> Note, this is all from memory

Comfortable, Great built (surprisingly light and robust at the same time... weird lol). Excellent pads. The biggest "con" for me is that the bass was a bit too eager, overbearing and it intrudes on the mids. This actually makes them sound warmer and couple that with polite highs and well, it's enjoyable but you feel like you are missing something (especially when comparing against similar headphones). It feels like some "air" is missing and suddenly you just have a nice sound kind of veering into "meh" territory. I wrote on my initial review:

Not sure if highs have been "muted" to maintain a more even frequency throughout or if it's that whole "we are bassy/fun and don't want to do like Ultrasone and blow your ears with emphasis on highs as well" mode these cans have going on. I think Jude mentioned something about a "safe" sound signature and this is basically what these are. Elevated bass, a bit thick/warm but lovely mids and "safe" highs.

Separation and imaging was aces and the mids were good as well, just be aware of the above sound signature and you will enjoy them. I actually liked them. The main reason I got rid of them was leakage. Yeah, these leak sound and I'm not one to listen to extreme volumes but when someone on the next cubicle is singing along to the song you are listening... yeah, not good. Now, they don't leak Denon Dxxx/Fostex TH-xxx levels! But they do leak.

DT1770

Comfortable (but these weigh quite more! Or at least they feel heavier.), Built like a tank! Good option of velour or leather pads (I prefer the leather pads on this one). Now, bass on this one is ALSO elevated, but not as much as the 1540s as I remember. Mids are not as "smooth" as the Shure's (for some reason, Shure always excels on mids, at least to my ears.). Highs are definitely boosted. This provides that missing "air" the Shure's lack but also lacks that certain semi-artificial Beyer coloration. Do note, I like it. :) This makes the headphones a bit more "exciting" and more "lively". Well recorded tracks sound excellent. Poorer ones sound extra crappy (I guess due to that "artificial" boosted highs nature -- 1540s fare a bit better due to the "muted" highs).

Separation/imaging is great as well, though I remember the Shure's being a bit more exact when listening to certain classical and salsa tracks. But the Beyer's are no slouch. If pushed a lot, these will leak a bit as well (especially with the velour pads for some reason) but not 1540s levels.

Overall, I personally like both.
If you want a more comfy ride, decent bassy sound, listen semi-loud and don't care about leakage, the Shure's are a very decent option.

If you want worker bee headphones (:wink:), with a decent overall signature, solid construction, and don't want to look dorky (I hate Shure for always making their headphones extend outwardly... ugh! LOL), Beyer's are a good option as well.

Now, regarding $$$, if you can find the 1540s at $350 or less or the Beyers at $400 or so, those are a decent deals for them. Why would I not recommend them at their full price?! Just because it has become more difficult recommend anything at their full price... (this industry is just moving way too fast!!!) Do note that both come with: Case, extra earpads, 2 cables, etc. so, price might be justified when compared with cans such as Fostex TH-600 or X00, Oppo PM-3s, Audio Technicas and others priced similarly and not providing even a solid bag...

Anyway, those are my .02 cents.

Good luck.

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #1,374 of 3,701
  That said, the Shures are little more in the 770 class, IMHO. Many would argue they are "horrendously" v-shaped, but I don't agree. I think they are fun, but the 770's are funner (more fun?).

I actually didn't find the 1540s v-shaped at all... but, well, different ears I guess. :wink:

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #1,375 of 3,701
  Shure SRH1540 --> Note, this is all from memory

Comfortable, Great built (surprisingly light and robust at the same time... weird lol). Excellent pads. The biggest "con" for me is that the bass was a bit too eager, overbearing and it intrudes on the mids. This actually makes them sound warmer and couple that with polite highs and well, it's enjoyable but you feel like you are missing something (especially when comparing against similar headphones). It feels like some "air" is missing and suddenly you just have a nice sound kind of veering into "meh" territory. I wrote on my initial review:

Separation and imaging was aces and the mids were good as well, just be aware of the above sound signature and you will enjoy them. I actually liked them. The main reason I got rid of them was leakage. Yeah, these leak sound and I'm not one to listen to extreme volumes but when someone on the next cubicle is singing along to the song you are listening... yeah, not good. Now, they don't leak Denon Dxxx/Fostex TH-xxx levels! But they do leak.

DT1770

Comfortable (but these weigh quite more! Or at least they feel heavier.), Built like a tank! Good option of velour or leather pads (I prefer the leather pads on this one). Now, bass on this one is ALSO elevated, but not as much as the 1540s as I remember. Mids are not as "smooth" as the Shure's (for some reason, Shure always excels on mids, at least to my ears.). Highs are definitely boosted. This provides that missing "air" the Shure's lack but also lacks that certain semi-artificial Beyer coloration. Do note, I like it. :) This makes the headphones a bit more "exciting" and more "lively". Well recorded tracks sound excellent. Poorer ones sound extra crappy (I guess due to that "artificial" boosted highs nature -- 1540s fare a bit better due to the "muted" highs).

Separation/imaging is great as well, though I remember the Shure's being a bit more exact when listening to certain classical and salsa tracks. But the Beyer's are no slouch. If pushed a lot, these will leak a bit as well (especially with the velour pads for some reason) but not 1540s levels.

Overall, I personally like both.
If you want a more comfy ride, decent bassy sound, listen semi-loud and don't care about leakage, the Shure's are a very decent option.

If you want worker bee headphones (:wink:), with a decent overall signature, solid construction, and don't want to look dorky (I hate Shure for always making their headphones extend outwardly... ugh! LOL), Beyer's are a good option as well.

Now, regarding $$$, if you can find the 1540s at $350 or less or the Beyers at $400 or so, those are a decent deals for them. Why would I not recommend them at their full price?! Just because it has become more difficult recommend anything at their full price... (this industry is just moving way too fast!!!) Do note that both come with: Case, extra earpads, 2 cables, etc. so, price might be justified when compared with cans such as Fostex TH-600 or X00, Oppo PM-3s, Audio Technicas and others priced similarly and not providing even a solid bag...

Anyway, those are my .02 cents.

Good luck.

Get this hard case for just ~$20! Customizable foam allows any can to fit, and now every can will be able to have a sturdy, protected hard case like Audeze! (yes, the case has basically similar dimensions with the Audeze case, only varying by decimal points).

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #1,376 of 3,701
  (Learning from my past transgression :)...

I just searched this thread for references to the T70 (of which there are many), but never saw this particular question addressed:

While most people feel the T70 is a bit bass-light - and I know some of you find that it's quite bass-light AND peaky - a few Headfiers on that thread have reported better bass impact with the popular Brainwavz pleather pads. Has anyone here tried the T70s with the Brainwavz pads and also the 1770s? If so, how much do the Brainwavz pads narrow the gap between the two? 

I really want the 1770s, but can't justify the $600 price tag they have. 

Thanks!

@shuto77,
I have T70 and DT1770PRO, and I have Brainwavz HM5 earpads (which I bought a year before for my GMP8.35D) too. so I put HM5 earpads on my T70  and compared with my DT1770PRO in tonal balance.

First of all, HM-5 Pleather earpads significantly increase T70's weak bass. that's pretty nice base and satisfactory for many listeners who aren't basshead. but, DT1770PRO's bass still has more inpact and dignity than this combo. and T70's sharp treble (which sometimes goes sibilant and harsh) is still there even with HM5 pads.

I guess T70+HM5pads is very nice for the price, If you can accept bit harsh treble of this combination, you'll be able to save lotta money.

T70 is very good headphones and could be awarded if it doesn't have frequently-argued light-bass. 
This pad rolling will gave life to my semi-retired T70s. thanks for giving a chance to do it.

Jan 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,377 of 3,701
I am really confused right now. I was following the release of the DT1770 and I read some introductions and reviews and I was really burned on getting myself a pair. But now doubt has taken me.

I own 
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50X (Shure840 pads, that open them up a lot more)
  2. BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO 250 ohm (just ran them in) Not really satisfied)
  3. Several pairs of Shure SE215 IE's. (use these for everything outside, always have a pair with me)

I can drive them with different devices:

DAC's
  1. Aune T1 Tube DAC (AKM 1793) (modded with high-end capacitors and removed the head-amp for less interference, I also got a bunch of the best tubes to roll) which is really fun to listen to but of course not as bright or honest as a non-tube DAC
  2. Sanskrit DAC 6th generation (Wolfson WM8470) which is really transparent and honest but a lifeless compare to the T1
  3. Aune X1 DAC/Headamp (AKM 1793 same as T1 but conventional implementation) This combo is a decent starters pack but nothing more. Little lifeless and not very clean.
  4. MSI GS60 6QE laptop built in DAC/headamp (ESS Sabre 9018 k2m) Really impressive device, drives 250 ohm Beyers really fine and DAC is nicely detailed and warm. Really amazing performance for an integrated combination.

Headamps
  1. Lehmann BCL SE clone (high grade components) Sounds REALLY REALLY NICE. Best head-amp I've heard and beats original Lehmann BCL easily in A/B comparison I've done a few days ago with some Sennheisers open cans and my own cans. 
  2. Aune X1 - Easily does 600 ohm headphones but puts a veil over it somehow. I'm missing clarity and punchyness.
  3. MSI GS60 6QE laptop integrated headphone amp. Really nice device really. for something built in and near all radiating components it does an AMAZING job. It's better than the X1 in terms of clarity but misses power to drive passt 300 ohm cans. It can just drive the 250 ohm Beyers at 80% volume i have a nice listening volume 100% is against painful but maxed out.

Sorry for the detailed information but it is important for solving my confusion. 

If I connect the M50X or DT770 to the laptop I pretty much like both their audio signature. They both sound warm, detailed and are a lot of fun but of course the sound is not very clear and I miss some transparency. When I connect them to the Aune T1. with rolling several amps the DT770 becomes unbearable. The highs become SO sibilant its really taking away all the fun with the also overpowering lower frequencies. The mids disappear totally. The DAC sounds REALLY sweet with my flat studio monitors but doesn’t a good job with the DT770 and also the M50X suffers a bit from sibilance and overwhelming bass. The Sanskrit does a fine job at bringing back all the details and transparency in the music, but it's cold and not much fun to listen music with. So there is a sourcing issue.

I have never been really fond of the DT770 with these combinations. I think the sound signature is best with the ES9018 K2M DAC but still I think the mids are to recessed and the treble is a bit harsh. What I do like is the big soundstage and comfort of the cans, considering these are closed cans. Not much heat development and when stretched a bit really nice clamping. I cannot wear the M50X to long because they get really hot and annoy the ... out of my ears. They are the most fun to listen electronic music with. Although the Beyers do a nice job there too. Also my Beyers produce some really awkward sounding mids sometimes like the sound comes from a cheap plastic shower radio.in an empty shower. really scary with some songs. Does this less connected to the ES9018 DAC than connected to the T1, but it is still noticeable The synergy between the T1 and DT770 just doesn't seem to be there. I think a really flat headphone would be a better companion. I know that the DT770 is capable of quite some good sound I just want it to be better. Like the DT1770 is described here in this topic.

What I'm looking for is closed cans with the comfort of the DT770, I love the bass of the 250-ohm model and the control of most of the spectrum. They sound sharp and in control. The M50X is a tad loose even though I love the warm and comfy sound they are just to uncontrolled and messy for me. I would like a combination of these 2. Less sibilant treble than the DT770, the mids of the M50X are just fine with the Shure pads, without they are overwhelmed by the bass. But I definitely need more mids than with the DT770. The bass and treble overwhelm everything. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate a v-shaped response, but it should be a tad flatter, more balanced and cleaner.

I will use them mostly for music (all kinds of genre's but mostly electronical, female vocals, hiphop/rnb, acoustic, classical and some other less important genre's. I will also do loads of gaming with them. Not in a professional competitive way but for fun. Think about world of warships for example, in which I need to be aware of my surrounding, incoming fire, emergencies etc etc. They can’t be to closed. this is why the Beyers appeal to me. My gf demands closed cans for this. she is very loving and caring to me too and lets me do and buy whatever I want, haha. so what the heck. I will comply! I like the bass of closed cans better anyway. :p

I have about $500 to spend on cans I am looking to start a DIY DAC project soon too based on the ESS Sabre ES9018 chip so my DAC problem will be solved soon too I hope.

My final question. after you've read this all, will the DT1770 be the right choice? It's the max of my budget. For less I can get the Audio Technica MSR7, Sony MDR1A (or even Sony MDR Z1000), Shure SRH1540 NAD VISO HP50 or whatever I would like below $500. or I can stay true and get the DT1770 for $530 as I was planning too. I just need to reassurance.

I think I will do the right thing with the DT1770 except for the risk on a defect driver. Any input?

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #1,378 of 3,701
  (...)

My final question. after you've read this all, will the DT1770 be the right choice? It's the max of my budget. For less I can get the Audio Technica MSR7, Sony MDR1A (or even Sony MDR Z1000), Shure SRH1540 NAD VISO HP50 or whatever I would like below $500. or I can stay true and get the DT1770 for $530 as I was planning too. I just need to reassurance.

I think I will do the right thing with the DT1770 except for the risk on a defect driver. Any input?

Unfortunately I think with an environment that specific only you can test if a headphone matches your taste... Recommending something is always very complicated and error prone, but here are far too many unknowns in play.

In general I'd say the DT1770 is more balanced than the DT770, with the NAD HP50 being warmer and less exact. Don't know the Shure, many report on the Sony MDR1A to have rather muddy bass.

The risk of a defective driver is present with every headphone... I don't think there's a major problem with the DT1770 (i.e. unusually many defective units).

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,379 of 3,701
  I am really confused right now. I was following the release of the DT1770 and I read some introductions and reviews and I was really burned on getting myself a pair. But now doubt has taken me.

I own 
  1. Audio Technica ATH-M50X (Shure840 pads, that open them up a lot more)
  2. BeyerDynamic DT770 PRO 250 ohm (just ran them in) Not really satisfied)
  3. Several pairs of Shure SE215 IE's. (use these for everything outside, always have a pair with me)

I can drive them with different devices:

DAC's
  1. Aune T1 Tube DAC (AKM 1793) (modded with high-end capacitors and removed the head-amp for less interference, I also got a bunch of the best tubes to roll) which is really fun to listen to but of course not as bright or honest as a non-tube DAC
  2. Sanskrit DAC 6th generation (Wolfson WM8470) which is really transparent and honest but a lifeless compare to the T1
  3. Aune X1 DAC/Headamp (AKM 1793 same as T1 but conventional implementation) This combo is a decent starters pack but nothing more. Little lifeless and not very clean.
  4. MSI GS60 6QE laptop built in DAC/headamp (ESS Sabre 9018 k2m) Really impressive device, drives 250 ohm Beyers really fine and DAC is nicely detailed and warm. Really amazing performance for an integrated combination.

Headamps
  1. Lehmann BCL SE clone (high grade components) Sounds REALLY REALLY NICE. Best head-amp I've heard and beats original Lehmann BCL easily in A/B comparison I've done a few days ago with some Sennheisers open cans and my own cans. 
  2. Aune X1 - Easily does 600 ohm headphones but puts a veil over it somehow. I'm missing clarity and punchyness.
  3. MSI GS60 6QE laptop integrated headphone amp. Really nice device really. for something built in and near all radiating components it does an AMAZING job. It's better than the X1 in terms of clarity but misses power to drive passt 300 ohm cans. It can just drive the 250 ohm Beyers at 80% volume i have a nice listening volume 100% is against painful but maxed out.

Sorry for the detailed information but it is important for solving my confusion. 

If I connect the M50X or DT770 to the laptop I pretty much like both their audio signature. They both sound warm, detailed and are a lot of fun but of course the sound is not very clear and I miss some transparency. When I connect them to the Aune T1. with rolling several amps the DT770 becomes unbearable. The highs become SO sibilant its really taking away all the fun with the also overpowering lower frequencies. The mids disappear totally. The DAC sounds REALLY sweet with my flat studio monitors but doesn’t a good job with the DT770 and also the M50X suffers a bit from sibilance and overwhelming bass. The Sanskrit does a fine job at bringing back all the details and transparency in the music, but it's cold and not much fun to listen music with. So there is a sourcing issue.

I have never been really fond of the DT770 with these combinations. I think the sound signature is best with the ES9018 K2M DAC but still I think the mids are to recessed and the treble is a bit harsh. What I do like is the big soundstage and comfort of the cans, considering these are closed cans. Not much heat development and when stretched a bit really nice clamping. I cannot wear the M50X to long because they get really hot and annoy the ... out of my ears. They are the most fun to listen electronic music with. Although the Beyers do a nice job there too. Also my Beyers produce some really awkward sounding mids sometimes like the sound comes from a cheap plastic shower radio.in an empty shower. really scary with some songs. Does this less connected to the ES9018 DAC than connected to the T1, but it is still noticeable The synergy between the T1 and DT770 just doesn't seem to be there. I think a really flat headphone would be a better companion. I know that the DT770 is capable of quite some good sound I just want it to be better. Like the DT1770 is described here in this topic.

What I'm looking for is closed cans with the comfort of the DT770, I love the bass of the 250-ohm model and the control of most of the spectrum. They sound sharp and in control. The M50X is a tad loose even though I love the warm and comfy sound they are just to uncontrolled and messy for me. I would like a combination of these 2. Less sibilant treble than the DT770, the mids of the M50X are just fine with the Shure pads, without they are overwhelmed by the bass. But I definitely need more mids than with the DT770. The bass and treble overwhelm everything. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate a v-shaped response, but it should be a tad flatter, more balanced and cleaner.

I will use them mostly for music (all kinds of genre's but mostly electronical, female vocals, hiphop/rnb, acoustic, classical and some other less important genre's. I will also do loads of gaming with them. Not in a professional competitive way but for fun. Think about world of warships for example, in which I need to be aware of my surrounding, incoming fire, emergencies etc etc. They can’t be to closed. this is why the Beyers appeal to me. My gf demands closed cans for this. she is very loving and caring to me too and lets me do and buy whatever I want, haha. so what the heck. I will comply! I like the bass of closed cans better anyway. :p

I have about $500 to spend on cans I am looking to start a DIY DAC project soon too based on the ESS Sabre ES9018 chip so my DAC problem will be solved soon too I hope.

My driver stopped buzzing after a day. I suspect we had a mains electricity problem that day as at least one other Forum member in the UK had similar problems with his headphones (not DT1770's) at the same time.
I very much like the DT1770's. They are not V shaped anything like the DT990, but to my ears are clear, well balanced and truthful to the recording. I don't have the DT770.
You have clearly thought very hard about whether the DT1770 will suit you and if it was me I would try and purchase the DT1770 on the basis I could return it if it didn't suit.
That's the only way you will really know if it's for you or not.

Jan 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,380 of 3,701
Cidious said:
If I connect the M50X or DT770 to the laptop I pretty much like both their audio signature. They both sound warm, detailed and are a lot of fun but of course the sound is not very clear and I miss some transparency. When I connect them to the Aune T1. with rolling several amps the DT770 becomes unbearable.

It is not the DAC chip, it is the output impedance. laptops headphone outs have very high output impedance (20-50 Ohm easily). Proper dac/headphone amp has <1 Ohm.

DT770 is not the most impedance linear phone. Higher output impedance will colour the sound.

To me, the sound of the headphone is what it sounds like from a proper, near 0 Ohm output that has enough voltage swing and driving power.

DT770 does not pass this test and is - as such - not a very neutral set of cans.

DT1770 might be different, we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back