Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,172 of 3,701
An extra set of black pleather pads is included in the DT-1770 box. These differ from the Beyer black pleather pads found on the DT-770-32 and available for purchase separately as the EDT770S.

If you have a 1770 and a 770, put those extra pleather pads from the 1770 on the 770.

To me, the resulting DT-770 is the best closed headphone I've ever heard. Compared to the 770 with the EDT770S pleathers, the bass is noticeably stronger, the treble is tamed to a very pleasant level but still very detailed, and isolation is slightly improved. (And, to my ears, this combo is even better than the 1770, which I find to be too bass-heavy, lacking in treble detail, and less comfortable.)

The 770 with the 1770's extra pleather pads is a great-sounding, lightweight, extremely comfortable, well-isolating closed headphone available in three impedances with straight or coiled cables, all for under $200 — but only if you can get your hands on those pads.

Beyer told a friend of mine by phone that they'll be available soon for $40. I really hope that's true, and if so, the combo of those pads on a DT-770 for $190–240 may prove to be the best all-around value in headphones in a long time, and one of the best all-around headphones period.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #1,173 of 3,701
  An extra set of black pleather pads is included in the DT-1770 box. These differ from the Beyer black pleather pads found on the DT-770-32 and available for purchase separately as the EDT770S.

If you have a 1770 and a 770, put those extra pleather pads from the 1770 on the 770.

To me, the resulting DT-770 is the best closed headphone I've ever heard. Compared to the 770 with the EDT770S pleathers, the bass is noticeably stronger, the treble is tamed to a very pleasant level but still very detailed, and isolation is slightly improved. (And, to my ears, this combo is even better than the 1770, which I find to be too bass-heavy, lacking in treble detail, and less comfortable.)

The 770 with the 1770's extra pleather pads is a great-sounding, lightweight, extremely comfortable, well-isolating closed headphone available in three impedances with straight or coiled cables, all for under $200 — but only if you can get your hands on those pads.

Beyer told a friend of mine by phone that they'll be available soon for $40. I really hope that's true, and if so, the combo of those pads on a DT-770 for $190–240 may prove to be the best all-around value in headphones in a long time, and one of the best all-around headphones period.

Nice!  I'll have to give that a try.

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,174 of 3,701

Looking forward to your thoughts, as I am hoping for similar things
biggrin.gif

appreciate the thoughts... don't have some bass cans at hand but IIRC this Lorn track has some hard to pick up subs & lows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5npWXAH--VI
I like testing out with this Huerco S track too, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tK4uJEJR_M In theory, I think I want a deep, dry/non-humped bass that doesn't bleed into the mids or disturb the overall neutrality of the cans, that I can occasionally use with my amp boost into bass terriroty, similar to my current fav IEM the FutureSonics G10.

Sorry it took a while to get back to you. Well I can say on the Lorn track you shared, you can clearly hear the sub bass that runs throughout the song. Its not overly prominent, but you can definitely tell that its there. Same thing with the Huerco S track.

Overall I would say that they definitely retains the beyer V shape signature, it's just not as drastic as other beyers I've tried. The mids are not front and center, but are not as recessed as they could be, like on the dt 770. Also I find that on a warm sounding amp they become a little too bassy and smooth for my tastes, the treble becomes too laid back and loses the detail that they need to keep a coherent sound. Though that's just for me. I think that you overall will probably be very happy with them!

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #1,175 of 3,701
  Sorry it took a while to get back to you. Well I can say on the Lorn track you shared, you can clearly hear the sub bass that runs throughout the song. Its not overly prominent, but you can definitely tell that its there. Same thing with the Huerco S track.

Overall I would say that they definitely retains the beyer V shape signature, it's just not as drastic as other beyers I've tried. The mids are not front and center, but are not as recessed as they could be, like on the dt 770. Also I find that on a warm sounding amp they become a little too bassy and smooth for my tastes, the treble becomes too laid back and loses the detail that they need to keep a coherent sound. Though that's just for me. I think that you overall will probably be very happy with them!

Good to hear, thanks very much for your impressions
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,176 of 3,701
If you guys are going for isolation and comfort, then these are perhaps the best earpads that I can suggest for closed backed Beyers:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/edt-600-ss.html

They are nonperforated pleather earpads with a viscoelastic silica_gel/memory_foam filling.

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,177 of 3,701

I'm having a hard time believing this. Not saying you're wrong, but I won't believe it until I hear it. I will receive a pair of 1770 for Christmas, and a couple of friends has the 770. I'll report my findings. Who knows, I might end up agreeing with you. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,178 of 3,701
  I'm having a hard time believing this. Not saying you're wrong, but I won't believe it until I hear it. I will receive a pair of 1770 for Christmas, and a couple of friends has the 770. I'll report my findings. Who knows, I might end up agreeing with you. 

That's interesting, Suup, let me know later if you concur.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #1,180 of 3,701
If you guys are going for isolation and comfort, then these are perhaps the best earpads that I can suggest for closed backed Beyers:
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/accessories/edt-600-ss.html

They are nonperforated pleather earpads with a viscoelastic silica_gel/memory_foam filling.

Those might be the ones I'm talking about that are being included as spares with the DT-1770. Do they look like this?

Left: Beyer's stock pads on the DT-770 and available for purchase separately as the EDT770S.

Right: The extra pads that Beyer includes in the DT-1770 box. They're noticeably less shiny, and the filling material feels more dense, like memory foam.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,182 of 3,701
Left: Beyer's stock pads on the DT-770 and available for purchase separately as the EDT770S.

Right: The extra pads that Beyer includes in the DT-1770 box. They're noticeably less shiny, and the filling material feels more dense, like memory foam.
No, those aren't the same, most the beyer earpads look the same. The ones that are here in your photo are the earpads that are only for the DT1770 which have 4 holes for perforation. Whereas the earpads that I was referring to is used only in the HS and MMX headsets, and they are not perforated. Hence, why they are better for isolation.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,183 of 3,701
I just ordered the DT-1770 Pro. If the impression I got from listening to them at Beyerdynamics booth in Germany was right, then I have a feeling the T5p will be getting some good competition. Unfortunately I will have to wait 6-7 weeks for delivery because of the high demand on these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back