Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,051 of 3,701
Does anyone have recommendations for a DAC/Amp combo for this? I was looking at the MM uber stack but thought I'd investigate a little bit more first. I plan on buying this on amazon later and wanted to get the sourcing sorted out.

I currently have an e10 and was wondering if I 'really' needed a new DAC or not. I'll be coming from a hd598 and wanted a big upgrade and that means a new DAC as well but IDK if the price difference between e10 and uber stack will be worth it.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,052 of 3,701
There is so little discussion of the differences and benefits between the included pleather and velour pads that I had forgotten that the DT-1770 comes with both.

I just left the velours that came attached on.

But Dale Thorn's review in the above mentioned Amazon UK site praises the sound with the pleather, so I just made the swap.  

As you might expect there is a major change in the sound.  
I will have to do a lot more listening, but it is overall richer and warmer sounding, with of course better isolation.  
I think some stridency in the treble may be cut back as well. 

On some of my music the DT-1770s sounded a bit cold/clinical, this changes that.  I expect there may be downsides as well, loss of detail. 

Any comments?
Has everyone stuck with the Velour Pads?    Are there other DT-1770 pleather fans besides Dale Thorn?

Reference:
How to change the pads: 4:43 in the video

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #1,054 of 3,701
Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Oppo PM3? I realize it's not really a fair comparison because one's portable and the other full-size, but I'd be curious in hearing impressions regardless.

PM3 sounds congested, anemic (although this is debatable as others find it full sounding with emphasized bass... I found that mine lacked bass and sounded sterile.) But surprisingly neutral-ish. I just found them boring.

Beyers definitely have better imaging, sound stage, bass presence and not all that bright (unlike other Beyers). A very decent sound signature. Find then more comfortable than the PM3s. Surprisingly, they leak a bit of sound at higher volumes, more so with velour pads (PM3s don't seem to have that problem)

Anyway, they definitely sound different to me. Your decision will be based lb your preferences and if you want real portability or not...

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,055 of 3,701
Just read this on an amazon review:

Update II --- 23/11/15 --- After more research (and reading Dale Thorns review - who I usually agree with) I found out that these may not match well with tube amps so bought them again and paired them with my Fiio E12A and these are like a different headphone. Maybe my original pair had a slight driver mismatch but the boomy bass and slightly distant mids along with a slightly higher volume in the left ear have all been rectified with this pair! I've been amazed that these have such powerful deep bass when its present on a recording but when the track doesn't have any bass these stay faithful to the original recording and don't add any extra colouring. Truly amazing and not something I have heard on any other headphone. So glad I tried them again! Although the DT150's are still amazing value for money I think I will be keeping the DT1770's and retiring my tube amp.

Update --- 6/11/15 ---- Now sold! After Extensive A/B testing against my £96 Beyer DT150 250 ohm through my Littledot II MKII tube amp I've come to the conclusion that there isn't enough difference to justify the extra £350. I've EQ'd the mid bass down a few Db and this has brought the tanklike DT150's to life. I was amazed at the difference it made. Plus the Mids are more present on the DT150's which is a shame as I wanted to love the 1770's but they just didn't do it for me to justify keeping them.

Seems to go around the lines that solid states are best for 1770s

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,057 of 3,701
Does this headphone require an amp, or will an audiophile DAP be enough ie. Cowon Plenue P1?
Thanks

I run them off my Sony ZX1 quite often. To me it is a perfect match. At 40% Adele is very loud already and the dap seems to have an easy going with the DT1770. It is my workplace headphone right now. My college has his own DT1770 incoming today. The other college has a DT770 incoming. Nice office we have!

::beyersmile:

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #1,058 of 3,701
I use mine with the WA6 and Lyr 2.  Sounds great on both of them.  Unfortunately ,the right driver is starting to fail on my DT1770's.  I started getting nasty distortion, sounds like the driver membrane is blown.  Anyone else having any problems with their's?   I'm really disappointed since I recently purchased a pair of T1 gen 2's that had to be exchanged due to rattling in the earcups and now this. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,060 of 3,701
I run them off my Sony ZX1 quite often. To me it is a perfect match. At 40% Adele is very loud already and the dap seems to have an easy going with the DT1770. It is my workplace headphone right now. My college has his own DT1770 incoming today. The other college has a DT770 incoming. Nice office we have!

:
beyersmile.png

Thanks

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,063 of 3,701
Я Beyerdynamic DT 1770 PRO не нравится, я хочу, чтобы продать            http://forum.doctorhead.ru/index.php?app=classifieds&module=core&do=view_item&item_id=14836​
Я отдам за $ 480 + почтовые

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,065 of 3,701
Hi,

Does anyone compared DT1770 against Shure SRH1540 (which I owned). I think these are direct rivals (professionnals turned to audiophile use at 500-600€/$)

Thanks.

I can't say about both without experience. The only negative I heard SRH is not ideal for mixing although its depend how you like, like different cars, pianos, house, places, etc. While 2000 sets of TH-X00 are almost out of stock in 2 days.

I feel the matter how we like is depending on Western vs Asian music and how they're recording will affect sounds experience on different headphone, just remember mids should not be recessed and bass should be just right will be sufficient for any enjoyment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back