Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 17, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #1,021 of 3,701
Anybody know someone who upgraded from DT150 to Dt1770 ? I'd love to speak with such a person. To me an upgrade from DT770 is easier story.

o2smile.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #1,022 of 3,701
Can anyone recommend a good amp pairing for the DT-1770? I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard 2 - will this bring the headphones into their own (is it strong enough)? Or is there another pairing that might earn a better recommendation? If it helps, I tend to like a warmer sound with slightly accentuated sub-bass.

Hoping to find something in this price range (<$400) but I've been unable to dig up much as far as recommendations/reviews go.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,023 of 3,701
  Anybody know someone who upgraded from DT150 to Dt1770 ? I'd love to speak with such a person. To me an upgrade from DT770 is easier story.

o2smile.gif

Yes, here's a link to a previous quote from another user who has previously answered the same question who had also asked this previously.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/776807/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-product-info-discussion-and-impressions/765#post_11988654

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,024 of 3,701
Hello everyone,

I read almost every page on this thread because I'm interested in these headphones.

I already own DT770 32ohm and German Maestro GMP 8.35 D and Sony V6.

I'm working on a documentary and I want a pair of headphones I can mix/clean the dialog with the music (music comes ready from composer)

I'm not doing much to the dialog other than checking and cleaning some of the noise, mixing the different mic sources.

All of this is for post-production, nothing on location. With my current set up, I can't have a speaker set up at the moment, so headphones have to work well for me.

I understand that a pair of flat/neutral headphones are preferred for mixing/mastering, but I find that a neutral pair (like the 7506 I borrowed once) actually hurt my hearing. Maybe it's because I'm not use to it. For example, the DT770 I have are apparently less spiky in the treble than the other ohm versions (or so I read) but even these, with some songs, have this piercing treble. I'm certain that it may be a mix of factors, from the mixing standard of the recording to the amp (using an AQ Dragonfly at the moment and a Sansa Clip+ or BB Passport) or others that affect the reproduction of a particular piece or music genre.

In this case, my main objective is dialog (for the DT1770) and music (piano as main instrument) mixing.

So, running a trial with my current phones I find that for that, I prefer DT770 "way of sounding", because to me it makes the voice sound "around" you, although it feels like the voice is distant. The GM GMPs though reveal other aspects of the voice, making it sounds more "balanced", or natural, but it feels that it now sounds as if coming from a headphone. The V6...well, they just sound not particularly interesting.

Mind you, I'm using words I find describe the sound I'm hearing and not basing myself from Head-Fi lingo exclusively.

So, I feel I'm looking for something that takes the DT770 more in line with the GMP but keeping its signature (but tone down the treble, please, for the sake of my ears) and initially, from what I read, the DT150 could fit that bill if amped properly (from, say, an A20) But then I find the DT1770 thread and the description of @beyerlover in one post:

Hi,
I still think DT1770PRO is closest headphone to DT150 in tonal balance among beyer's mid to high tier headphones(specifically T5p, T70, DT1350, T51p).
But someone in DT150 thread said "DT150 + tighter and more punchy bass + more detailed treble? that's totally different headphone!" and I thought he's reasonable.

I feel similarity between DT1770PRO and DT150 in; not spiky treble, neutral and solid mid presentation, great imaging, and bass amount.
and I have to add the sound stage of DT1770PRO is not as wide as DT150 -surprisingly wide one for closed back can.

If you like DT150's relaxed, laid-back feel, you might be disappointed with DT1770PRO.
But if you're looking for more punchy, tighter base with non-fatiguing treble with much better resolution, DT1770PRO would be one of candidates for upgrade.

Cheers.

So, am I right to think that a DT1770 is a more neutral DT770 with less treble, better mids and less bass? How about the impression that the DT150 is, as I've read a few times, the closed headphone that is like an open headphone.?

I understand that with either I'd need an amp, although the DT1770 can be driven to satisfactory volume levels with almost anything (but scales well with amp) so I was thinking of getting an A20 because of its 2 jacks (so I can mix and have the musician monitor with me) and keep the Dragonfly for when I need to travel ultra compact.

Ah..that's another thing. I already carry enough gear for photo/video including recorders, mics, batteries, laptop and what not. I usually have a "portable solution", for which I think the current GMP/DT770+Dragonfly can still fit that bill (or maybe DT250)....but since the DT1770 has the same volume/dimensions as DT770, I wonder if anyone can then maybe recommend a portable DAC/AMP (or maybe DAP with DAC/AMP function from USB) that I can successfully drive the DT1770 "on the go".

I understand these are a lot of questions and I do really appreciate the community's wisdom. Happy to give video/photo wisdom in exchange!

I also considered: Yamaha /MT220, DT250, Sony 7520 but I'm going with the thought of "since I like the sound of the DT770, I wonder if there is something around that sound with more refinement, neutrality that can help me do what I need to do" Or is that the wrong train of thought?

Cheers,

Hex

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,025 of 3,701
Hello everyone,

I read almost every page on this thread because I'm interested in these headphones.

I already own DT770 32ohm and German Maestro GMP 8.35 D and Sony V6.

I'm working on a documentary and I want a pair of headphones I can mix/clean the dialog with the music (music comes ready from composer)

I'm not doing much to the dialog other than checking and cleaning some of the noise, mixing the different mic sources.

All of this is for post-production, nothing on location. With my current set up, I can't have a speaker set up at the moment, so headphones have to work well for me.

I understand that a pair of flat/neutral headphones are preferred for mixing/mastering, but I find that a neutral pair (like the 7506 I borrowed once) actually hurt my hearing. Maybe it's because I'm not use to it. For example, the DT770 I have are apparently less spiky in the treble than the other ohm versions (or so I read) but even these, with some songs, have this piercing treble. I'm certain that it may be a mix of factors, from the mixing standard of the recording to the amp (using an AQ Dragonfly at the moment and a Sansa Clip+ or BB Passport) or others that affect the reproduction of a particular piece or music genre.

In this case, my main objective is dialog (for the DT1770) and music (piano as main instrument) mixing.

So, running a trial with my current phones I find that for that, I prefer DT770 "way of sounding", because to me it makes the voice sound "around" you, although it feels like the voice is distant. The GM GMPs though reveal other aspects of the voice, making it sounds more "balanced", or natural, but it feels that it now sounds as if coming from a headphone. The V6...well, they just sound not particularly interesting.

Mind you, I'm using words I find describe the sound I'm hearing and not basing myself from Head-Fi lingo exclusively.

So, I feel I'm looking for something that takes the DT770 more in line with the GMP but keeping its signature (but tone down the treble, please, for the sake of my ears) and initially, from what I read, the DT150 could fit that bill if amped properly (from, say, an A20) But then I find the DT1770 thread and the description of @beyerlover in one post:

Hi,
I still think DT1770PRO is closest headphone to DT150 in tonal balance among beyer's mid to high tier headphones(specifically T5p, T70, DT1350, T51p).
But someone in DT150 thread said "DT150 + tighter and more punchy bass + more detailed treble? that's totally different headphone!" and I thought he's reasonable.

I feel similarity between DT1770PRO and DT150 in; not spiky treble, neutral and solid mid presentation, great imaging, and bass amount.
and I have to add the sound stage of DT1770PRO is not as wide as DT150 -surprisingly wide one for closed back can.

If you like DT150's relaxed, laid-back feel, you might be disappointed with DT1770PRO.
But if you're looking for more punchy, tighter base with non-fatiguing treble with much better resolution, DT1770PRO would be one of candidates for upgrade.

Cheers.

So, am I right to think that a DT1770 is a more neutral DT770 with less treble, better mids and less bass? How about the impression that the DT150 is, as I've read a few times, the closed headphone that is like an open headphone.?

I understand that with either I'd need an amp, although the DT1770 can be driven to satisfactory volume levels with almost anything (but scales well with amp) so I was thinking of getting an A20 because of its 2 jacks (so I can mix and have the musician monitor with me) and keep the Dragonfly for when I need to travel ultra compact.

Ah..that's another thing. I already carry enough gear for photo/video including recorders, mics, batteries, laptop and what not. I usually have a "portable solution", for which I think the current GMP/DT770+Dragonfly can still fit that bill (or maybe DT250)....but since the DT1770 has the same volume/dimensions as DT770, I wonder if anyone can then maybe recommend a portable DAC/AMP (or maybe DAP with DAC/AMP function from USB) that I can successfully drive the DT1770 "on the go".

I understand these are a lot of questions and I do really appreciate the community's wisdom. Happy to give video/photo wisdom in exchange!

I also considered: Yamaha /MT220, DT250, Sony 7520 but I'm going with the thought of "since I like the sound of the DT770, I wonder if there is something around that sound with more refinement, neutrality that can help me do what I need to do" Or is that the wrong train of thought?

Cheers,

Hex

That was a great read I always wanted to know GMP. Your quest for sound with more refinement, neutrality is what I'm looking as well, which is open-cans will fit the job like ATH-R70x with some amps could bring out more or less micro details and rather expensive.

I feel a different approach with AXEL Soundscape Pure which is affordable and claimed to have a most neutral frequency. Their rich lows, nature mods and clear treble seem aren't spiky after gotten some listeners for subjective tests.

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,026 of 3,701
subbed, really intrested in this HP for the office.

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #1,027 of 3,701
For those asking if this HP was more neutral than the usually Beyer v-shape sound. I found this interesting... Now this headphone is on my want list, just gotta wait for the price to come down some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD75RG6n9eo

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,028 of 3,701
@thehexagonal 
I can't comment on the DT150 as I've never heard that one. My thoughts are that maybe the DT1770 is a bit overkill if your primary mission is monitoring and mixing voice and piano tracks, maybe the DT250/250Ohm might serve you well: its quite neutral with smooth treble, compact, robust and costs substantially less than the DT1770.

The A20 is a very nice amp for all high-impedance Beyerdynamic headphones (I don't own one but have heard it quite often with many different models) and having two headphone jacks will definitely help with your usage scenario.

Regarding the DT770 vs. DT1770: Yes, the DT1770 is more refined and more balanced, without that slight peak. I'd say its the way to go if at least a major part of your usage is listening to music (be it monitoring more complex arrangements or simply enjoying music) and to me its one of the best closed headphones at this time (given that isolates much more than e.g. the Fostex TH900).

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #1,029 of 3,701
  For those asking if this HP was more neutral than the usually Beyer v-shape sound. I found this interesting... Now this headphone is on my want list, just gotta wait for the price to come down some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD75RG6n9eo

Hi @RojasTKD

I wanted to thank you and respond to that suggestion.

Thanks for the video. I think if the guy didn't have a review of the Leica Q, it wouldn't have tainted my understanding on where he is placing emphasis on when doing his reviews.

I can tell you this: I can train people's eyes to discern technically perfect photographs from other lesser elaborate pictures in less than a day. Give me a few hours, actually, and I can show this perfectly. But this is technical stuff, not concept, taste or feel.

I have the feeling that "learning to hear" will be a hard battle between "taste" and technical perfection. This is why it's harder to take the plunge for headphones, at least for me. In photography, as well, the variables of technical perfection can easily be measured and shown in an A vs B way easier. With audio, as far as I'm learning, some people can go as deep as cables and plugs and power sources (if you have a filtered power outlet) in order to gain that extra something in their audio experience. But, can it be measured? can it be shown in an A vs B fashion? or does one have to have the golden ears in order to provide their discerning analysis?

Unlike photography as well, I have the feeling that sonic memory is less accurate than visual memory.

IF, this guy's focus when speaking about the DT1770 is as loose as his description of the Leica Q, that DT1770 video doesn't convince me. He's showing equalizers, as well, so I am not certain how much that helps because you EQ to taste, right? so, is his idea of the EQ graph to show how to make the HP sound neutral? He spends a lot of time describing the headphone itself, which now I find I understand it, because of the Q review. He seems to really like Leicas, which in itself is not a bad thing (taste) but his reasoning for it strikes me as a person who wants the object in itself, but cannot discern the quality of the outcome: technical outcome at least, from what I hear. I know the Q very well, so I know which points he's not focusing on and which points he is placing more emphasis on. From the video, his operational ability of the camera, I find, is also questionable.

@thehexagonal 
I can't comment on the DT150 as I've never heard that one. My thoughts are that maybe the DT1770 is a bit overkill if your primary mission is monitoring and mixing voice and piano tracks, maybe the DT250/250Ohm might serve you well: its quite neutral with smooth treble, compact, robust and costs substantially less than the DT1770.

The A20 is a very nice amp for all high-impedance Beyerdynamic headphones (I don't own one but have heard it quite often with many different models) and having two headphone jacks will definitely help with your usage scenario.

Regarding the DT770 vs. DT1770: Yes, the DT1770 is more refined and more balanced, without that slight peak. I'd say its the way to go if at least a major part of your usage is listening to music (be it monitoring more complex arrangements or simply enjoying music) and to me its one of the best closed headphones at this time (given that isolates much more than e.g. the Fostex TH900).

Hi @Plakat,

I skipped the DT250s this past week because they are somewhat like the 7506, from memory. As in, the sound that comes out of them has the feel of being trapped somewhere. Maybe as if I;m listening to the world with a toilet roll cardboard core on my ears. I'd have the preference of "feeling" the audio a bit more, or being a bit more engaged with it, because I love music and listening to music so I find it's easier for me to be engaged with what I'm working rather than having a clinical sound that lacks engagement (7506)

Yes, the A20 sounds like a winner, especially at that price point AND I have the suspicion (thinking of audio and it's technical variables in the journey from file to speakers) that if you were to use Beyerdynamic HPs and AMP, you'd have more of their "tuned signature" feel and maybe it balances the DT1770 (or DT150, DT220) well enough. That, of course, if a big guesstimation and I wouldn't put money on it. Double jack is also a big attraction.

If the DT1770 is a more refined DT770, as you say, then that may be the ticket I'm looking for. £420 in the UK but $600 in the US. WHY? the UK is closer to Germany!

That was a great read I always wanted to know GMP. Your quest for sound with more refinement, neutrality is what I'm looking as well, which is open-cans will fit the job like ATH-R70x with some amps could bring out more or less micro details and rather expensive.

I feel a different approach with AXEL Soundscape Pure which is affordable and claimed to have a most neutral frequency. Their rich lows, nature mods and clear treble seem aren't spiky after gotten some listeners for subjective tests.

HI @piaudio,

The GMP is a really good headphone, I think. I can see why it is seen as a more neutral headphone compared to the DT series overall, because you get more mids and just about a bit less treble than DT. It also feels indestructible. Man, seriously, very tough plastic.

As for open cans, I tried K702s at a shop here in London and I felt they were a bit anemic. They were set up under a branded AKG stand with other headphones in their line (closed and open) so you can see "what you can get from AKG" and they did sound good, but the lack of bass made me think that I was missing something. Not just from the enjoyment, but also if I'm listening to some of the audio I have, the DT770 can show me some background hummm that is happening and I can tone that down a bit. The V6s can't. So, I'm kind of going for a closed can in the hopes they can also show me a bit of what a speaker set would in the lower end and control it a bit.

-------

One head-fier was promoting the AQ Nighthawks as the best possible headphones for mixing/mastering after the Yamaha MT220.

Obviously, the less I spend the nicer I'll feel, but since this is "for work", then I can push budgets a bit to find suitable hardware.

Worth noting, I have the feeling that there is a clear difference between the "pro" sort of focus on headphones (think the Yamaha and the DT Beyers that are not DT1770) and the "audiophile" focus on headphones where the DT1770 appear to fall in-between those two worlds.

Nov 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #1,030 of 3,701
One question, must the headphones be closed?

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,032 of 3,701

I'd imagine so because I understand it that closed headphones reach deep into the lower frequencies and I'd like to feel that to know whether there is some background noise I should be watching out for.

Why all these questions ? just find one to test( the DT1770 pro) if you like it , buy it  , or if it don't taste your suit , just let it down . Very simple equation . Thanks .

Nov 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #1,033 of 3,701

Hi @RojasTKD

I wanted to thank you and respond to that suggestion.

Thanks for the video. I think if the guy didn't have a review of the Leica Q, it wouldn't have tainted my understanding on where he is placing emphasis on when doing his reviews.

I can tell you this: I can train people's eyes to discern technically perfect photographs from other lesser elaborate pictures in less than a day. Give me a few hours, actually, and I can show this perfectly. But this is technical stuff, not concept, taste or feel.

I have the feeling that "learning to hear" will be a hard battle between "taste" and technical perfection. This is why it's harder to take the plunge for headphones, at least for me. In photography, as well, the variables of technical perfection can easily be measured and shown in an A vs B way easier. With audio, as far as I'm learning, some people can go as deep as cables and plugs and power sources (if you have a filtered power outlet) in order to gain that extra something in their audio experience. But, can it be measured? can it be shown in an A vs B fashion? or does one have to have the golden ears in order to provide their discerning analysis?

Unlike photography as well, I have the feeling that sonic memory is less accurate than visual memory.

IF, this guy's focus when speaking about the DT1770 is as loose as his description of the Leica Q, that DT1770 video doesn't convince me. He's showing equalizers, as well, so I am not certain how much that helps because you EQ to taste, right? so, is his idea of the EQ graph to show how to make the HP sound neutral? He spends a lot of time describing the headphone itself, which now I find I understand it, because of the Q review. He seems to really like Leicas, which in itself is not a bad thing (taste) but his reasoning for it strikes me as a person who wants the object in itself, but cannot discern the quality of the outcome: technical outcome at least, from what I hear. I know the Q very well, so I know which points he's not focusing on and which points he is placing more emphasis on. From the video, his operational ability of the camera, I find, is also questionable.

HI @piaudio,  
The GMP is a really good headphone, I think. I can see why it is seen as a more neutral headphone compared to the DT series overall, because you get more mids and just about a bit less treble than DT. It also feels indestructible. Man, seriously, very tough plastic.

As for open cans, I tried K702s at a shop here in London and I felt they were a bit anemic. They were set up under a branded AKG stand with other headphones in their line (closed and open) so you can see "what you can get from AKG" and they did sound good, but the lack of bass made me think that I was missing something. Not just from the enjoyment, but also if I'm listening to some of the audio I have, the DT770 can show me some background hummm that is happening and I can tone that down a bit. The V6s can't. So, I'm kind of going for a closed can in the hopes they can also show me a bit of what a speaker set would in the lower end and control it a bit.

-------

I always take reviews with a grain of salt, as I understand audio is very subjective. I just like the idea that the DT 1770 is at least closer to neutral than most of the other DT line. I have the DT 770 80 ohms and like them very much. I also understand the 80 ohms DT 770 don't have the trebel spike of the other 770s models or the 880s and 990s. I also enjoy the boosted bass of the 770/80 ohms, it's fun. But would enjoy a more accurate DT 1770 where can get a superior sound and don't have to worry about the trebel spike I don't think my ears would like.

Try the K712 or the Massdrop K7xx, they have a 3dB bass boot over the K702 and I belive a slightly tweeked sound signature. I think these are the best option in the K7xx line for most people. I recently got one and enjoy it very much. I find the bass to be very good. If there is bass in the music you will hear it. If there isn't much bass in the music at won't be artificially inserted.

K712 is my more reference pair and the DT 770/80 my more fun pair and when closed headphones are the better option.

Nov 22, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #1,034 of 3,701

Why all these questions ? just find one to test( the DT1770 pro) if you like it , buy it  , or if it don't taste your suit , just let it down . Very simple equation . Thanks .

Didn't think I would offend anyone. Only asked questions in relationship to what I've read and my rather novice experience.

I always take reviews with a grain of salt, as I understand audio is very subjective. I just like the idea that the DT 1770 is at least closer to neutral than most of the other DT line. I have the DT 770 80 ohms and like them very much. I also understand the 80 ohms DT 770 don't have the trebel spike of the other 770s models or the 880s and 990s. I also enjoy the boosted bass of the 770/80 ohms, it's fun. But would enjoy a more accurate DT 1770 where can get a superior sound and don't have to worry about the trebel spike I don't think my ears would like.

Try the K712 or the Massdrop K7xx, they have a 3dB bass boot over the K702 and I belive a slightly tweeked sound signature. I think these are the best option in the K7xx line for most people. I recently got one and enjoy it very much. I find the bass to be very good. If there is bass in the music you will hear it. If there isn't much bass in the music at won't be artificially inserted.

K712 is my more reference pair and the DT 770/80 my more fun pair and when closed headphones are the better option.

Gonna head back to that shop that had the AKG sample booth. Hopefully they'll have a pair of K712s in there and I can try them on. Last time I was there they were not really big on Beyerdynamic (DT770 80hm and DT250 250 only in stock) but I'm hoping maybe they would have more stock this week. Will report back if I find a pair of DT1770. Cheers.

Nov 23, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #1,035 of 3,701
I was still deciding whether to keep the 1770 and I have to admit that I got used to the mid-bass much more. The mids and highs are fantastic, so is the resolution. Anyone, who wants a fun sounding, but still mature and refined headphone should give these a listen. Vocals sound very natural and engaging, without being too forward or overshadowing. The highs are quite neutral without any peaks, but are not veiled at the same time. Someone said earlier, they reminded him of a closed HD650 that Sennheiser never built, which I can see. However, the 1770 don't suffer from Sennheiser's veiled sound, have much better resolution and superior low end response. Also the mids are not as artificially thick, here.

Anyway, since two days ago, the replacement set developed the same issue as the initial headphones. The driver in the right cup is rattling/vibrating all of a sudden, especially with bass heavy music. This is rather disheartening if I am honest. Also the second pair makes a horrible cracking sound where the right bracket/gimbal is meeting the headband (i.e. the size adjustment, I guess) whenever I put them on or off, basically when the band gets bend a bit. My 990 pros also have that sometimes when the cups are swivelled, but it is not nearly as loud. Also they cost less than a quarter of these, so to me that does not feel ok for a premium product.  The rest of the build quality is great and I am not sure what is going on, maybe some early production QC issue, especially with the Tesla 2.0 drivers. Because of this, Beyer made the decision for me and I am going to return them and shy away from the 1770s.

All in all, that makes me wonder if some of these QC issues transfer to the T1.2 and if I should hold off for a while to see if others also report similar experiences. Thing is, I am really impatient once I decide to make a purchase 
redface.gif

@plakat: Thanks for your kind offer, much appreciated and sorry that I have not replied earlier. I live in London atm so travel would be a bit far, just for auditioning headphones.
biggrin.gif
 I am originally from Nuremberg, which would be much closer to Vienna so maybe I will join a Vienna meet one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back