Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 22, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #886 of 3,701
Received my DT1770 I change the velour pad to the leatherette which took a bit of  time doing it. Not the easiest headphone to change pads since you have to use the DT1770 notch and put the lip of the pads into a narrow channel  without winkling the pad lip.  Burning in the headphone a bit. There are some characteristics in my Dt1770 that did not quite match what I heard at RMAF but so far good.  I will give my final impressions latter on but I am not going to write a essay.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #887 of 3,701

I pretty much agree, though I wouldn't describe the PM3 as bright myself.  the key thing here I think is PM3 is a portable, and DT1770 isn't - as a full size it has much better soundstage and imaging, and sounds very open for a closed headphone.  I think it is pretty balanced, a slight V shape perhaps but not overbearing, good extension high and low.  Both are really good for what they are.

hi , agree with you for the sound signature , but i use my DT1770 as an portable headphone , isolation is very good , with the 1m30 Furutech cable and the Ibasso DX100 , it is a very portable (transportable) rig . 

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #888 of 3,701
I appreciate very much the cohesive and balanced sound of DT150, with no frequency range overwhelming others and a wide headstage. Does the 1770 mantain this setting  (maybe at higher level) ?
I also would like to get more opinions about mids that seem to be described as a bit recessed by someone.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #889 of 3,701
I'm starting to think these are more like the Shure SRH-1540 (maybe with a touch less mid bass). Those have great bass, if not a bit much in the mid bass, and not quite enough in the lowest subs (under 30 hz). They also have a non-peaky but bright high end that is high quality, it's just one that makes you play them more quietly to avoid fatigue. Due to the full bass, and brightness, the mids, which are present and really not "scooped" seem less apparent by comparison. It's not the ridiculous V shape of some cans. I've not heard the DT1770, I'm just estimating based on what I've heard. The SRH-1540 is probably a great can for a comparison.

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #890 of 3,701
  Maybe someone has an idea: are there any 3rd party mini-XLR cables that are compatible with the DT 1770 Pro? Or possibly shorter officials coming down the line (Hanselmann?)

Hi, nothing in the making.
We included the cables in the scope of supply we thought are needed by professional users.
Pinouts scheme is the same as AKG uses, so it should be easy to find suitable cables.

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #891 of 3,701
  I'm starting to think these are more like the Shure SRH-1540 (maybe with a touch less mid bass). Those have great bass, if not a bit much in the mid bass, and not quite enough in the lowest subs (under 30 hz). They also have a non-peaky but bright high end that is high quality, it's just one that makes you play them more quietly to avoid fatigue. Due to the full bass, and brightness, the mids, which are present and really not "scooped" seem less apparent by comparison. It's not the ridiculous V shape of some cans. I've not heard the DT1770, I'm just estimating based on what I've heard. The SRH-1540 is probably a great can for a comparison.

Had the 1540s (review on my sig), liked them quite a bit actually (they just leaked a whole lot for my tastes). I would still take the Beyer's based on sound alone. The 1540s could get a bit boring due to the kind-of subdued highs unless pushed (as you mention) and if I pushed them then sound started leaking... They were more like basshead cans to me... well, not really, but you know... bloated mid-bass (way more than the 1770s), lower mids that were being overpowered and upper-mids/high just lacked the kind of sparkle I prefer. The 1770s do better overall to my ears. I haven't had the 1540s for a while but I sure remember the sound.

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #892 of 3,701
When I first tried my DT1770 last night I wonder where all the bass went with the same equipment I brought to the RMAF. Today the bass is coming back as I continue my break-in. I found that my DT1770 #543 very solidly built, better than my T70. The DT1770 slider adjusters feel more solid with good strong loud clicks. The headband itself has good amount of cushion and I do not feel the headband pressing down on the top of the head as much after time as compared to the T70 and the T1 in-spite of the DT1770 being heavier. The DT1770 is 48grams heavier than my T70 and 28grams heavier than the T1 and yet I find the headband very conformable for my head. The clamping pressure is a tiny bit stronger than my T70 but still fine for me. I did find that the using the Leatherette pads that the ears tend to heat up faster but since it is late fall and winter I am not going to change the pads unless there is a pressing need and I wanted the most sound isolation. Even at home I do not want to hear the furnace, gas hot water or the dishwasher upstairs. The one thing I am not crazy about the design is that the DT1770 uses a double flange method for the ear pads. It takes a bit more work and time to change the pads since you have to get the pads lip into the narrow grove between the two flanges. It is nice a have a removable cable option. It seems from various sources that the DT1770 is a bit easier to take apart and change the driver since it uses a connector that is not soldered in as far I can tell. Well that is part one my physical review of the DT1770.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #895 of 3,701
@john57...Although I would have preferred snap-on pads too, I don't find it too cumbersome changing them.  Have you tried slipping the lip of the beyer dt1770 pads into the small cutout located in the front of the cups and spinning them on? It's much faster that way.  

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #896 of 3,701
  @john57...Although I would have preferred snap-on pads too, I don't find it too cumbersome changing them.  Have you tried slipping the lip of the beyer dt1770 pads into the small cutout located in the front of the cups and spinning them on? It's much faster that way.  

Yes I used the cutout and changed the left side but the right side was harder, kept going out of the grove.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #898 of 3,701
Yes I used the cutout and changed the left side but the right side was harder, kept going out of the grove.

You might want to turn the headphone when you want to change the right side. The it works the same way. And you might want to detach the cable before doing it. I did it more than ten times, before I settled on the velour pads.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #899 of 3,701
How long do you think until these lovely cans come down a bin in price? 600 is a bit outside my budget =(

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #900 of 3,701
  How long do you think until these lovely cans come down a bin in price? 600 is a bit outside my budget =(

Its just a bit (or perhaps half a bin) but Sonic Electronix has a 10% off coupon on their site, and 1 pair left in stock.   You also get 10% in Sonic bux towards a future purchase, and a longer warranty.  In the US,that is the cheapest I have seen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back