Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 8, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #721 of 3,701
The frequencies just above upper sub-bass.

Bass is 60 to 300 Hz. Male voice starts at 100 Hz. Cello and some other acoustical instruments start at 60 Hz. Go figure.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #722 of 3,701
On the topic of phone audio:
When recently i got my k7xx i only had my galaxy S4 to hand to first try them out. It sounded absolutely terrible!
At first i thought it was the biggest missbuy ever but when connecting them to my desktop setup it was much much better. Phone doesnt even come close!
And my desktop setup is "only" a 250€ o2 combo.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #723 of 3,701

Bass is 60 to 300 Hz. Male voice starts at 100 Hz. Cello and some other acoustical instruments start at 60 Hz. Go figure.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #724 of 3,701
 I'm detecting a bit of underestimation of modern phones... especially Apple.

I agree. Having worked in pro audio (studio and live) I know the importance of a signal path, and amps. They make a measurable difference. But if a headphone is bass light or too bright it's still going to be no matter what you plug it in to. You can improve the sound with a better playback chain but you can't radically change it (outside of using EQ or other processing). The iPhone actually has the best DAC of any smart phone or tablet. I am actually able to drive my Senn. HD 650 at 80% volume to listen comfortably in a quiet room. I guess I have more sensitive ears. Still, everything does matter, it's just that some things don't matter as much.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #725 of 3,701

At RMAF as one of my test tracks that I used for audition the DT1770 was Aaron Copland Fanfare for the Common Man a very short piece with brass and percussion.

Four horns
Three trumpets
Three trombones
Tam-tam
Tuba
Timpani
and Bass drum
I heard this piece performed live and you can feel the bass. The longer version with orchestra was Aaron Copland third symphony, last movement. I heard that in Boulder Colorado live as well. Very inspiring piece of music good for testing gear. Using the DT1770 leatherette pads the bass has much sharper attack than the velour pads, very obvious difference.  For testing of dynamic range I sometimes use Mahler 8 there is short example on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrH9Kh2vOpo

I also use solo pieces as well.

Hey john57, you know the recording from Louis Lane with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra? It's brilliant.

For the rest of the readers: I am back on track.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #726 of 3,701

For the rest of the readers: I am back on track.

Welcome back hanselmann.
I have to tell you that I love my DT 1770 PRO very much.
And can we cast you questions about this headphone as we did a month before?

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #727 of 3,701

Cool, I've just discovered the whole new world, and there I'd thought that there are sub-bass, mid-bass & upper-bass
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #728 of 3,701

Welcome back hanselmann.
I have to tell you that I love my DT 1770 PRO very much.
And can we cast you questions about this headphone as we did a month before?

Thanks!
Sure, anybody can ask questions as before. I was off a bit, since I was on holidays and IFA trade show.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #729 of 3,701

Sure, anybody can ask questions as before. I was off a bit, since I was on holidays and IFA trade show.

Great, then My questions are:

1. Will DT1770PRO's earpads (these are very high quality!) velour or P leather, be available as replacement parts? if yes, can you say when?
2. Can I use Mini-XLR cables for AKG 240/702 in the aftermarket for DT1770PRO?
3. I think you will refuse to answer this question :wink:  but, Do you guys have a plan for open back version of DT1770?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #730 of 3,701
Great, then My questions are:

1. Will DT1770PRO's earpads (these are very high quality!) velour or P leather, be available as replacement parts? if yes, can you say when?
2. Can I use Mini-XLR cables for AKG 240/702 in the aftermarket for DT1770PRO?
3. I think you will refuse to answer this question :wink:  but, Do you guys have a plan for open back version of DT1770?

Thanks in advance.

The mini XLR from AKG are already tested. They work perfectly.

Oct 8, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #731 of 3,701
  http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Thanks for this. Very helpful!
All this current talk about frequencies on Head-Fi didn't meant much to me, now I can understand it better.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #733 of 3,701
The Z
  Pietcux, can you share some impression from DT1770 vs MDR-Z7, please? I want both but can't choose which one to get first. 

The Z7 is a bass lovers wet dream. The Bass is exactly how I like it. Pronounced and physically feel able, like as if a high quality sub woofer is present all the time. This can gives my music body, drama and a deep dark soul. So the gravity is on the bass definitely.
The DT1770 in direct comparison also lets the bass shine, but does not put too much emphasis on it. It is fair to the whole spectrum renders the mids and treble on par with the bass. maybe the bass goes even deeper, but is more than a tad less physical.
The Z7 is clearly a relaxed comfortable bass oriented headphone that one must have if one is me. It is quality  built and looks gorgeous, but cannot take a beating. I will always baby it.  And the DT1770 is a neutral but also bass capable studio can that just fascinates me without end and that one must have if one is me. It is built like a tank and can take a lot of beating, that's for sure. My on the go can for all moments when I want to enjoy my music. I did the short comparison with music from London Grammar. Both cans render the music fantastic, but just also very different. Looking at your musical preferences, I just don't know about all this Metal stuff, I don't have that.

Hope this helps.

ph34r.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #734 of 3,701
One time I was thing about getting the MDR-Z7 since I have the MRD7520 but Sony went to the wrong direction and I did not want a darker headphone. In fact I was look for more even midrange from the 7520. The MDR-Z7 looks beautiful but the DT1770 looks more robust.  The DT1770 still has more isolation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back