Beyerdynamic DT-100?
May 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #31 of 48
(gregor), have  you replaced the foam pieces? That will give a more full bodied sound, as well as replacing the earpads with new ones.
I enjoyed my DT100 for their sheer speed and attack. But in the end the sound is indeed a bit too thin.

May 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 48
foam pieces? on my dt100's there is nothing between my ear and the driver carriage. There is some foam between the driver and my ear on my 150's though... I can take pictures if it helps explain.

May 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #35 of 48

Quote:
foam pieces? on my dt100's there is nothing between my ear and the driver carriage. There is some foam between the driver and my ear on my 150's though... I can take pictures if it helps explain.

DT100 really should have the foam insert pads for better sound.
Makes a lot of difference in my experience.

May 20, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 48
Ruh-Roh... Those are completely missing from my dt100's, though the 150's have a similar piece of foam. Maybe some fink at the thrift store stole them for his own hp collection! My only concern is that I don't know if a piece of foam like that would fit in the remaining space on my 100s. As it is the chassis is touching my ear, creating a plastic+flesh synergy that can only be described as creepy.

May 21, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #38 of 48
I see most of this thread is necro'd, but FWIW I have the 400ohm version of these. And the reason the foam covers are missing is probably because they've disintegrated, like mine did (I inherited than from my dad).

These aren't a bad phone if you find them second hand, they're very capable as you'd expect form a ugly monitor. I have the DT250 as well, and in comparison, the 100 has more pronounced bottom end and a bit more clarity at the top. The mids lose out a bit, and this is where I think the DT250 does better. i'm running them off a Lehmann clone which has plenty of grunt but not much finesse.

Because of the fit and the pleather, as well as the darker sound, they do sound more like a closed phone than the 250s do.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:
Never underestimate this can., especially the 400 ohms version.

I have a vintage 400ohm version of these cans. The sound is incredibly clean in the mids, even cleaner than some mid-fi cans, but the bass is just too anemic to enjoy listening. They suck the life out of music. Somehow I liked these for acoustic recordings which don't need much bass, for example solo acoustic guitar sounds quite incredible, very detailed, and the soundstage is nice.   

I think I must try the DT150's some day, if they are capable of the same clarity in the mids, with more bass they could be a winner.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #43 of 48
These are a pretty flat sounding solid phone. I have had a pair for over 10 years (just had the pads re done) 
I use them when engineering bands for my monitor phones. Solid as a Rock. 
You look a little bit of a fool (or pro) wearing them tho, but I like that!

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:
I might be getting a pair of these for free, but apparantly they need new pads. does anyone know a good pair of pads for these cans?

I had a pair of DT100 velour pads for sale, but they're gone now.
Bought them at Thomann, But they are easy to obtain in the UK as fas as I know.
I liked the velour (tricot) better than the pleather pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back