Beyerdynamic DT-100?
Oct 10, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any good information about these headphones, I can't really find any info on them from Head-fi. I used the search function and only found one thread. And from google I've found that they were used in the 70-80's as studio recording headphones, and also used in on-air commentary. But can someone explain the sound signature of these?

Oct 10, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 48
These are designed for amped, studio monitoring and as such have a very flat sound signature. Great for technical work, not great for recreational musical listening. On the plus side, they'll never break and they're so ugly, no one's going to want to rob you of them (apart from a hard up studio dude). The DT150s are a bit of a half way house between these and a more conventional hi-fi phone

Oct 10, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 48
Oct 10, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 48
Ok, so I get the sense these are super dry and analytical however a lot of the information was about the DT-150, which seems to be the upgraded version. Should I get these for $70 or just pass up on them? Will it compliment my Grado SR-60s or will they just be worse?

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 48
I've also been unsuccessful in finding any info on these. Since they are advertised as discontinued on E-Bay and are only $77 shipped, I decided to take one for the team and buy a pair. I have a pair of DT770 '05 to compare them with. 11 pairs remain and impressions to follow.
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 48
If its anything to judge by, the well known remixer/DJ Erol Alkan uses these. I've been looking at a pair as well, so let me know :)

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've also been unsuccessful in finding any info on these. Since they are advertised as discontinued on E-Bay and are only $77 shipped, I decided to take one for the team and buy a pair. I have a pair of DT770 '05 to compare them with. 11 pairs remain and impressions to follow.
tongue.gif

Please tell us what the impedance for those are. I asked awhile back and got no reply.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 48
Oct 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please tell us what the impedance for those are. I asked awhile back and got no reply.

Will do - I'm wondering the same thing. I e-mailed after ordering, but haven't received a reply yet. They are supposed to be here this Thursday, so will know for sure then. That's assuming that all the ones for sale are the same impedence, though.
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 48
Quote:

The impedence isn't listed in the E-Bay auction, so we're wondering if it is the 16 or 400 Ohm version that is up for sale.

I don't see them at Ebay at this price, nor as discontinued....

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Will do - I'm wondering the same thing. I e-mailed after ordering, but haven't received a reply yet. They are supposed to be here this Thursday, so will know for sure then. That's assuming that all the ones for sale are the same impedence, though.
tongue.gif

Looking forward to your impressions.

Oct 29, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you checking ebay.com? They're definitely there. Thanks, TOA.

Found it. I reckon it's the 16 Ohm, since they are claiming it is a discontinued item.
The DT100 is normally the 400 Ohm version, and that one is still available.

From the Beyer UK website:
SPECIFICATIONS
Frequency response 30 - 20,000 Hz
Nominal impedance 400 OHM
Nominal SPL 94 dB
Ambient noise attenuation
approx. 20 dBA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back