Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #841 of 963
Quote:
How loud are y'all's COPs getting when played through iPhone 5 and who all uses a portable amp with them (which on?)

They have been working great with the FiiO E11. It does add a bit of bass but more importantly, to me it opened the soundstage a bit and pushed the mids/highs ever so slightly more forward and made them a little less of a tight room feeling.

Also, have you tried 320kbs music files? They almost always have higher output.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #842 of 963
Quote:
Anyone know of a website for COP accessories besides the beyerdynamic website? Looking for velour earpads for them.

Also anyone know a site to get custom print on the interchangeable plates? Thanks

You can get the velour pads from a bunch of places. Look for part number EDT 770 V for silver and EDT 770 VB for black. Just don't get the 880/990 pads which are EDT 990 V/B.

Sonic Electronix has both silver and black, ~ $30 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46134_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-V-Replacement-Silver-Velour-Ear-Pads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46133_beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Replacement-Black-Velour-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

For the plates, one option would be to print your own graphics onto some kind of paper, maybe sticker paper, and apply it to the metal plates it came with. Someone did that earlier in this thread IIRC and printed carbon fiber prints that looked pretty nice.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #843 of 963
They have been working great with the FiiO E11. It does add a bit of bass but more importantly, to me it opened the soundstage a bit and pushed the mids/highs ever so slightly more forward and made them a little less of a tight room feeling.

Thanks and no I haven't I will give that a shot!

You can get the velour pads from a bunch of places. Look for part number EDT 770 V for silver and EDT 770 VB for black. Just don't get the 880/990 pads which are EDT 990 V/B.

Sonic Electronix has both silver and black, ~ $30 shipped:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46134_Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-V-Replacement-Silver-Velour-Ear-Pads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46133_beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Replacement-Black-Velour-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-DT801-DT831-DT901.html

For the plates, one option would be to print your own graphics onto some kind of paper, maybe sticker paper, and apply it to the metal plates it came with. Someone did that earlier in this thread IIRC and printed carbon fiber prints that looked pretty nice.
perfect sweet

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #844 of 963
Quote:

Unless something really weird is happening during the encoding, the bitrate shouldn't affect the volume...

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #845 of 963
Quote:

Unless something really weird is happening during the encoding, the bitrate shouldn't affect the volume...

Well my 320kbs files are noticeably louder than my 192kbs. Might be my encoding but it's worth a shot if he's looking for some sound boost. Wouldn't hurt for quality sake anyway... 

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #847 of 963
Quote:
The more compression, the lower the volume. At least when using LAME mp3, I haven't checked it with aac or anything else.

Unless you adjust the gain when converting, using something like dbpoweramp's ReplayGain Apply DSP.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. I've never noticed any difference in volume between my 192k and 320k mp3s.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #848 of 963
Quote:

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. I've never noticed any difference in volume between my 192k and 320k mp3s.

It shouldn't be anything major, but it all depends on the song's content. My guess is that it has to do with dynamic range compression.

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #849 of 963
Quote:
It shouldn't be anything major, but it all depends on the song's content. My guess is that it has to do with dynamic range compression.

That really shouldn't be effected by the bitrate which is just the resolution of the file. The levels and frequencies would be identical given two identical tracks encoded with the same encoder and using the same settings aside from bitrate.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #850 of 963
Quote:

That really shouldn't be effected by the bitrate which is just the resolution of the file. The levels and frequencies would be identical given two identical tracks encoded with the same encoder and using the same settings aside from bitrate.

I don't fully understand the compression algorithms that LAME uses so I can only make guesses on why it happens. I just know what I've seen from calculating the replaygain info in foobar. Peak and gain both change, although not by much in most cases.

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #851 of 963
Quote:
I don't fully understand the compression algorithms that LAME uses so I can only make guesses on why it happens. I just know what I've seen from calculating the replaygain info in foobar. Peak and gain both change, although not by much in most cases.

And that's on two identical songs encoded with identical settings aside from bitrate? There can be several settings depending on the encoder that could be effecting it but if the same encoder and settings are used I'd imagine the volume of 192k and 320k songs would be the same unless foobar's replaygain is treating them differently for some reason. For example I use Easy CD-DA Extractor which by default has a high and low pass that cuts off the very highest and lowest frequencies (probably at 20hz and 20khz by default). With that setting enabled you could end up with a completely different file compared to the same song encoded by an encoder that doesn't do a high/low pass. That could result in different volume levels between the two files based on the replaygain treating them differently because of the missing frequency ranges. But when the same encoder is used with identical settings aside from bitrate I really see no reason why replaygain would treat them differently. But who knows...

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #852 of 963
Quote:

And that's on two identical songs encoded with identical settings aside from bitrate? There can be several settings depending on the encoder that could be effecting it but if the same encoder and settings are used I'd imagine the volume of 192k and 320k songs would be the same unless foobar's replaygain is treating them differently for some reason. For example I use Easy CD-DA Extractor which by default has a high and low pass that cuts off the very highest and lowest frequencies (probably at 20hz and 20khz by default). With that setting enabled you could end up with a completely different file compared to the same song encoded by an encoder that doesn't do a high/low pass. That could result in different volume levels between the two files based on the replaygain treating them differently because of the missing frequency ranges. But when the same encoder is used with identical settings aside from bitrate I really see no reason why replaygain would treat them differently. But who knows...

Both converted from the same file, same encoder, same settings, within the same 5 minutes.

I'm not sure about 192k or vbr versus 320, but 128k at least loses some volume. Not very significant but possibly enough to throw off a blind test in some cases.

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #853 of 963
Quote:
Both converted from the same file, same encoder, same settings, within the same 5 minutes.

I'm not sure about 192k or vbr versus 320, but 128k at least loses some volume. Not very significant but possibly enough to throw off a blind test in some cases.

You're right Chewy.  I discovered the same thing years ago, which is how I turned to just getting my tunes, albeit paying for them, through Amazon Mp3 or CD.  I can't stand anything in 128k, I also hear warbled sounds in addition to lowered volume as well compared to a higher quality file.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #855 of 963
Quote:
You're right Chewy.  I discovered the same thing years ago, which is how I turned to just getting my tunes, albeit paying for them, through Amazon Mp3 or CD.  I can't stand anything in 128k, I also hear warbled sounds in addition to lowered volume as well compared to a higher quality file.

I definitely agree that the compression on 128k mp3s is very noticeable even with not so great headphones. Can't say I've noticed a volume difference though. I wonder if it could be perceived lack of volume based on the fact that some of the data is missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back