Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Dec 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #691 of 963
Quote:

Thanks, and now that you've mentioned it, I will check out some Ultrasones - I've never heard them before.  I will hold you to it if they fail :) (kidding of course).

:) No problem, you cant go wrong with the Pro 900's. They are huge but not heavy and pretty comfy. They are THE bass monsters but still have a lot of nice touches like great build quality a nice carry case and 2 sets of velour pads so its like a professional bass heads dream!!

Budget Bass-Head: XB500

Professional Bass-Head: Pro900

A bit more expensive than the COP's but if you're gonna do it you, might as well do it right!  

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #692 of 963
Quote:

I do have a very, very slight rattle it the right channel of my 600 ohm 770s but it took me months to notice because its extremely minimal and only occurs when I have the volume at an outrageous, unhealthy level. :wink: It seems to be caused by a slight tear that's in the paper covering the driver. None of my other 'phones have any bit of distortion and trust me, I blast my music.

But that's my point, I've owned the DT770's as well, they couldn't even hit 100db (headphone info dot com agrees as well, 96db to be exact).  That rattle that you hear is the limit on the driver excursion.  It always appears first in the right cup, then if you manage to crank the volume a bit further, it will rattle in BOTH cups.  I know, I've had nearly the entire consumer line that Beyer has.  If that's blasting for you, sorry man, but that's not even close to what I bump at.

Also to those that might think it's a hair, or tear in the foam disc or malfunction in the driver that causes the rattling sound as if the driver is blowing out, I'm leting you know that this is normal.  You've hit the limit on volume for that particular headphone.  It's the truth, you can swap, exchange all you want, but I say to make note of the volume limit, and you will see that all headphones have a certain point at which they peter out.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #693 of 963
@GN3RAL KARL

Its really not safe to listen that loud. :wink: I get distortion at a very high volume, about 3 o'clock on my Lake People G109. Listening even at that volume for an extended amount of time will cause hearing damage. I'm not trying to preach to you, they're your ears, but that is LOUD. Its the treble that hurts the most for me since turning it up that loud is bad enough but because of the huge Beyer treble spike the upper mids/ highs are even louder, about 10db. Ouch. I actually get acute pains deep in my ear drum. I don't know you can handle that. :)

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #694 of 963
Quote:
But that's my point, I've owned the DT770's as well, they couldn't even hit 100db (headphone info dot com agrees as well, 96db to be exact).

96 dB SPL (at 1 mW) is the sensitivity of the headphone, not the maximum it can handle.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #695 of 963
Quote:
96 dB SPL (at 1 mW) is the sensitivity of the headphone, not the maximum it can handle.

Yeah. I don't have a meter to check with but I'm pretty sure my 770s get a whole lot louder than that out of my G109.

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #696 of 963
I've been using headphones (a lot) since elementary school, and I was a Club DJ/Turntablist for more than 15 years. For the past decade I've always had a home studio where I make beats and I still listen to music 90% of the time when I'm out and about.

(Yeah, I'm old) 
tongue_smile.gif

So basically I've been most of my life blasting my ears with music. So unless I go deaf tomorrow, I think I may have bionic ears.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #697 of 963
Quote:

I know what the sensitivity is, you're trying to make it seem like I'm confused - but I'm not.  Did anyone happen to check out the headphone info site that I keep referring to?  No need to take my word on it, they have the electronics with the measurements.  96db is the sensitivity of the phone, it ironically is also the loudest it can get (96db SPL, max driver excursion).  Check the site, it's all there with other measurements that will surprise you.

For good measure, since you want to talk sensitivity, the M50 has a sensitivity of 99db, but it can achieve 115db SPL at the ear (maximum driver excursion).  Hmm, am I confused now?

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #698 of 963
Quote:
I've been using headphones (a lot) since elementary school, and I was a Club DJ/Turntablist for more than 15 years. For the past decade I've always had a home studio where I make beats and I still listen to music 90% of the time when I'm out and about.

(Yeah, I'm old) 
tongue_smile.gif

So basically I've been most of my life blasting my ears with music. So unless I go deaf tomorrow, I think I may have bionic ears.

Me and you both man!  I can still hear clearly, in fact, some trip out when they say I hear things, then they concentrate and they hear the same sound.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #699 of 963
Quote:
I know what the sensitivity is, you're trying to make it seem like I'm confused - but I'm not.  Did anyone happen to check out the headphone info site that I keep referring to?  No need to take my word on it, they have the electronics with the measurements.  96db is the sensitivity of the phone, it ironically is also the loudest it can get (96db SPL, max driver excursion).  Check the site, it's all there with other measurements that will surprise you.

Can you link where those measurements exactly are ? By the way, Tyll Hertsens (InnerFidelity) measured the DT770-600 and the Custom One Pro, and neither had any major distortion problems at 100 dB. While they might not be able to handle much more than 100 dB, as the limited power handling of these headphones is well known, they should be capable of more than 96 dB.

Bass distortion/rattling at relatively low volume is often caused by hair or other debris getting into the drivers (this can be suspected particularly if one channel is rattling much more than the other).

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #700 of 963
Quote:

Can you link where those measurements exactly are ? By the way, Tyll Hertsens (InnerFidelity) measured the DT770-600 and the Custom One Pro, and neither had any major distortion problems at 100 dB. While they might not be able to handle much more than 100 dB, as the limited power handling of these headphones is well known, they should be capable of more than 96 dB.

Bass distortion/rattling at relatively low volume is often caused by hair or other debris getting into the drivers (this can be suspected particularly if one channel is rattling much more than the other).

Here

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-Headphones-Review-897/Isolation.htm

M50 here as well

http://www.headphoneinfo.com/content/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Over-ear-Headphones-Review/Isolation.htm

Once again, as I've already explained in previous posts, the phones have a pathetically weak system when it comes to volume.  By the way, why'd you shy away from looking at the site yourself?  Probably thinking again that I'm full of it.  Well, I guess the website is full of it too :S

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #701 of 963
Dude, there's no reason to be so standoffish. You should have just posted the link to begin with. That site is pretty confusing to navigate. No one has said you're full of it and anyway, even if they did, that would be pretty stupid since the only people who could be considered 'full of it' in regards to these measurements are the people that actually did the measurements themselves.

I'm curious, have you tried measuring them? I'd be willing to pick up a volume meter and measure how loud mine get before I notice any distortion. Maybe a few of us with 770s and COPs could try it and see what we come up with.

Also, I wonder if the different impedances could have an effect. For example, could the 600 ohm 770 be capable of handling higher volume than the 80 ohm? The only way to find out is to do some testing I guess...

Me thinks @purrin could shed a lot of light on this for us.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #703 of 963
Quote:
Dude, there's no reason to be so standoffish. You should have just posted the link to begin with. That site is pretty confusing to navigate. No one has said you're full of it and anyway, even if they did, that would be pretty stupid since the only people who could be considered 'full of it' in regards to these measurements are the people that actually did the measurements themselves.

I'm curious, have you tried measuring them yourself? I'd be willing to pick up a volume meter and measure how loud mine get before I notice any distortion. Maybe a few of us with 770s and COPs could try it and see what we come up with.

Also, I wonder if the different impedances could have an effect. For example, could the 600 ohm 770 be capable of handling higher volume than the 80 ohm? The only way to find out is to do some testing I guess...

Me thinks @purrin could shed a lot of light on this for us.

Standoffish?  Nope.  The link and info is there.  Full of it?  It seemed implied.  Measured it myself?  No, I don't have any tools to measure, but I used perceived loudness which I think I'm quite good at.  Why do I think that?  Because I've owned the DT770 and many others before I discovered that site, and already knew within seconds that the DT770 (I had the 32 ohm) didn't get very loud.  My first test is always a bass-heavy movie.  That thing rattled all over the place.  The DT880's and 990's can get a touch louder (website again), but still wasn't my cup of tea.  The different impedances doesn't seem to matter either, because I've owned the DT880 in all 3 impedances, same results.  Also, I don't think any website that professionally tests headphones are full of it, their measurements are spot on.  What they claim as best sounding, well, that's personal to the editor.

If people are satisfied, that's cool with me.  All I know is that for me, max loudness is a big deal, and if people are talking about driver rattling with their perceived ears, that's a heads up to me to stay away.  I'm keeping my $150 and will be looking elsewhere.  Enjoy.  Peace.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #705 of 963
Jeez, am I the only one who loves these headphones, I must be missing something, all I keep reading is how terrible they are. I don't have any of the issues whatsoever and with my rockboxed clip + on 0db and e11 I there is no issue at full volume other than my ears hurting, pretty sure that's not how the music was intended to be heard tbh, still each to there own. The only problem I have now is that these headphones have opened my ears to music and I'm looking for the next improvement upgrade.... But that's gonna cost me some serious money I guess :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back