Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Nov 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #515 of 963
Quote:
I'm interested in putting on velour pads for comfort if nothing else. How do you think that will effect the sound?

Quote:
Quote:
I use the DT770 velours and cannot tell much difference in sound.  If anything, it sounds more spacious.

Just waiting for the black velours to come into stock then I'm switching too,

I ordered the black velours and received them Friday, haven't put them on yet. Here's someone else's opinion in another thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633349/beyerdynamic-dt-770-80-vs-custom-one-pros-quick-comparison/45#post_8869815

I wonder if Mr. Demon can do a little test of the COP with the velour pads...

In terms of:

*Overall sound changes
*Comfort / clamp force
*Noise cancellation / leak

It will be greatly appreciated! 
wink_face.gif

Whoa whoa whoa, Mr Demon is my father 
wink.gif

Actually I did just that. It was a mess...

1st the pads they provide are the only pads that should be used with the COP's. First step of switching them out was a breeze. They came off and put on very easily so that was a positive. First sound impression was the seal was a but gone and the bass all but disappeared. The COP's pleather pads are actually very good. The comfort level as is is top teir IMO. Better than most out there I've tried. The cans themselves are super light weight and pads have great cushion so no they aren't as plush as the velour but that's to be expected. But they did surprise me by how soft and light they were. One of my main issue with a lot of bass head cans (These don't really qualify but are close) is the feel of most pads and the ridiculas clamping force that comes with them. The COP's are actually on the other side of the scale. The Q-Audio M40's, HiFi-780's/580's will squeeze your eyes balls out but you almost forget the COP's are on your head... Well, that is until they bottom out on a low bass note or something along those lines... These were so close to being the ultimate buy for cans under $200 but certain things can't be pushed aside like detail and depth. Hopefully next time they'll put a little bit more time in on the sound vs the look and functionality.

Or just release a better version of the 770's with a 32 ohm rating... Oh that's right... They did 
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #517 of 963
Quote:
Has anyone else done any of their own plates, or is everyone staying with the original.

Artificial leather doesn't look too bad, cut it from some old purse. Real would probably be better, but at least it looks like the pads.

On a side note, the original cable broke about a week after purchase, having used it at home with an amp (I know) and a couple of times with my DAP.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #518 of 963
KjetilH, Cool all black headphones!
using odd leather pieces is quite nice idea. 

Mine is carbon pattern customized.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #520 of 963
Well...I am not qualified to do a legit review but I will share my thoughts on them best way I can. The other decent over-ear headphone that I have to do an A/B comparison is the HD280Pro. Also, I am a basshead, so my comments are with the port sliders all the way open and they will stay that way. :wink:

FiiO E11 on setting 0 and 1. (still experimenting between FiiO and clip zip eq)

Highs - They are superior on the HD280Pro, they sound more clear to me.
Mids - The same here, they sound better on the HD280Pro.
Mid Bass - COP's.
Bass - COP (yesss)
Bass Impact - COP (headphone cups actually shake from the impact, more so after some eq in my RB clip zip (still learning advanced eq settings)
Sub Bass - COP (oh lawd)

The only strange thing that I noticed is that sometimes the right speaker will clip/distort when I crank up the volume real high, even with FLAT eq settings. This doesn't happen at all on the left speaker. Also tried the same songs (at the same volume/eq settings) on the HD280Pro and this doesn't happen either. I do like to listen to my music really loud, but due to what I stated above I'm a little worried. Hopefully I don't have a defective unit. :frowning2:

If anybody has the same issue please let me know.

Edit: I am going to let them burn in after hours for a couple days. But overall I am very pleased with the sound and specially the bass/sub bass when paired with the E11. Hopefully the right speaker clipping is just me and not an issue with the headphones. I was also really surprised on how light these headphones are despite of their size. I used them in the gym today and (of course) the pads got a little hot and sweaty, but for regular use I think they will be fine. I will still buy the velours anyways as soon I have the funds.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #521 of 963
Are you sure it's clipping and not a hair or dirt vibrating against the driver? or in some cases it's actually the wire inside that's vibrating against a surface.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #522 of 963
Thanks for replying. Its not my hair (I have a super low fade haircut). So I guess it could be the cable inside like you say. (fingers crossed that it goes away somehow after burn in)

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #523 of 963
Just offered RazorDog $150 for these on eBay and he approved it in 5 minutes. Damn... shoulda said $140!

Got 'em on the way :) Should be a nice middle ground between my KSC75s and my HD650s. Plus they look sexy as hell.

beyerlove, any chance you might show me where you got that carbon fiber sticker? It looks freakin' awesome.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #524 of 963
Yokken, I bought the carbon sticker (which is for Radio Control cars) in a hobby shop in Japan.
You can purchase the same product at Banzai hobby.
http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control/drift-rc-cars-accessories/abc-hobby-drift-accessories/hd-carbon-pattern-decal-rough

But I guess you can find similar U.S product at your local hobby shop.
Good luck!

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #525 of 963
Sweet. I'll search around for some others in the US but I'll definitely make a note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back