Beyerdynamic Custom Ones! New Beyer headphones!
Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #586 of 963
Quote:
I actually had the dt990pros 
biggrin.gif
 for about two weeks until the right driver suddenly gave out on me... I would have kept them if this hadn't happened. At the moment I'm just looking for the right closed can that can isolate decently (and deliver good bass) when I don't want to bug my roommate. I may give the dt990pro another chance when I buy an open set, though I wasn't crazy about the coiled cable. The next headphone I would seriously consider is the he-400.

Quote:

OMG...

That's exactly what I was thinking, but then said nah they wouldnt go for that (exchange them for a DT770/80)

Yea I would think you could seriously have the company fix or replace your EXPLODED driver, I want to try the Dt 990 Pro 250s e.e so much! BUT the Hifiman He 400... might be a good choice... I WANT the He-500 FOR SURE... should try the 400 while I am it <3

love hifiman Daps so the heads phones should be as awesome! 

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #587 of 963
Yea I would think you could seriously have the company fix or replace your EXPLODED driver, I want to try the Dt 990 Pro 250s e.e so much! BUT the Hifiman He 400... might be a good choice... I WANT the He-500 FOR SURE... should try the 400 while I am it <3

love hifiman Daps so the heads phones should be as awesome! 

I actually returned them at b&h and bought the ultrasone pro750, huge mistake. I wound up returning those too lol.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #588 of 963
didnt like the pro 750?  i almost bought those, but think i have decided on the AKG K167's instead.

what did you not like about them?

Dec 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #589 of 963
didnt like the pro 750?  i almost bought those, but think i have decided on the AKG K167's instead.

what did you not like about them?

They were really shrill in the upper range and the soundstage didn't feel very wide at all, good depth though.

Dec 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #590 of 963
Quote:
They were really shrill in the upper range and the soundstage didn't feel very wide at all, good depth though.

Yea I would think then Pro 990 should have decent highs but good sound stage. What did you do with teh return money... you could buy another Dt 990 pro 250 [it's like $170 ish] 

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #591 of 963
Quote:
Yo,

Kinda like me, eh? I own the T1, T5p, T70, DT1350, and COP. Not to mention all my other headphones and amps that are listed on here.

Hi, been watching all your reviews - just the job for me (as a newbie)! I've had the COP's now for a few weeks and rally loving them, just feel a bit conspicuous when out and about with them on so was just wondering if the DT1350 is a worthwhile upgrade in sound to, and are they as comfortable as the COP's?

Lee

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #592 of 963
Quote:

Hi, been watching all your reviews - just the job for me (as a newbie)! I've had the COP's now for a few weeks and rally loving them, just feel a bit conspicuous when out and about with them on so was just wondering if the DT1350 is a worthwhile upgrade in sound to, and are they as comfortable as the COP's?

Lee

... COP is a bass heavy can, where as the Dt 1350 is... well more linear in it's bass presentation. If you want an upgrad in sound Quality I'd go for the Dt 770 250 ohm [Closed like the COP], or the Dt 880/990 if you want to switch into open air

Most of those are cheaper than the Dt 1350... which might be an "upgrade" as it's a smaller driver. Not to say it's bad but it's not a full size can. Don't replace Full sizse cans with "On Ear" cans... I don't think it's a fair comparision really an you may end up disappointed! Btw guys on Switch 3, how is the SUB BASS :D

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #593 of 963
Position 3 is the best. 4 is just too much, it's sloppy. 3 is just right. It's too bad they just don't respond well to amping. If I had an impedance adapter I could potentially use my Lyr with them without going through my E17. Anyway they arrived at Beyer today and they haven't replied to my email asking for 770s/880s. Either way I'm looking forward to having them back if I don't get 880s :wink:

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #594 of 963
Quote:
Position 3 is the best. 4 is just too much, it's sloppy. 3 is just right. It's too bad they just don't respond well to amping. If I had an impedance adapter I could potentially use my Lyr with them without going through my E17. Anyway they arrived at Beyer today and they haven't replied to my email asking for 770s/880s. Either way I'm looking forward to having them back if I don't get 880s :wink:

keep in mind the dt 880 is a WHOLE different monster! They should do well with the Lyr, but the Dt 880 is NOT BASS HEAVY. A great can though :D [I own the 250 ohm] 

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #595 of 963
Oh I know, I had one and returned it like 3 days before the 30 days were up. But I loved its clarity. I actually notice the SQ downgrade from my HD650s... obviously the COPs aren't gonna be as good, they're half the price. But the DT880s are very resolving and to be honest the HD650s have pretty awesome bass anyway. It's not as awesome as the COPs but... yeah we'll just have to see what happens. Might buy myself a pair with the profit I make from selling 2 Nexus 4s. It won't pay for all of them but it will be cheap 
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #596 of 963
Quote:
Oh I know, I had one and returned it like 3 days before the 30 days were up. But I loved its clarity. I actually notice the SQ downgrade from my HD650s... obviously the COPs aren't gonna be as good, they're half the price. But the DT880s are very resolving and to be honest the HD650s have pretty awesome bass anyway. It's not as awesome as the COPs but... yeah we'll just have to see what happens. Might buy myself a pair with the profit I make from selling 2 Nexus 4s. It won't pay for all of them but it will be cheap 
biggrin.gif

I don't like Sennhesier cans... I refuse to jump on that bandwagon and ever buy a pair <3.

But I'd LOVE to try some high end Senn Cans :D, just have to find a place to do it at ;3. My issue with them though is. There $160 cans sound terrible... where as Byer $160 get's you some MAGIC... seriosuly Sennhesier... if your low end models are just painful to listen to... I can assume that the high end models will retain that annoying house sound that is so obnixous in the low end stuff... [the Highs are too hot for me, and the mids r tinny] 

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #597 of 963
Quote:
I don't like Sennhesier cans... I refuse to jump on that bandwagon and ever buy a pair <3.

But I'd LOVE to try some high end Senn Cans :D, just have to find a place to do it at ;3. My issue with them though is. There $160 cans sound terrible... where as Byer $160 get's you some MAGIC... seriosuly Sennhesier... if your low end models are just painful to listen to... I can assume that the high end models will retain that annoying house sound that is so obnixous in the low end stuff... [the Highs are too hot for me, and the mids r tinny] 

So get an HD600/HD650, a Bifrost, a Lyr and call it a day. Just go all out. It's what I did. You just... have to save for a while 
biggrin.gif

And uh, the HD600s and HD650s have the best mids I've ever heard in my life. The HD650s make vocals incredibly real... it's what they're amazing at. They're warm sounding but more on the neutral side of warm. They have a really nice midbass punch and they go fairly low, but the COPs beat them at quantity and they go a bit lower as well. The downside to the HD650s is that you do need a good amplifier for them, I don't care what some people say. They just gulp that 6W per channel from the Lyr. It's the most pleasing combo I've heard to date, after having HD600s (great), DT880s (great), KSC75s (amazing for price) Momentums (good), HE400s (pretty good but just couldn't love them due to a few flaws), COPs (not bad) and HD280s (had em for 4 years). This combo is just effortless... it's beautiful.

So no, I don't think Sennheiser is known for hot treble or tinny mids. Actually quite the opposite in most situations. I find all of their headphones to have a nice warm sound to them. I think you just really need a decent amp for them to sound their best.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #598 of 963
They don't take 6w from the Lyr at 300ohm, lol. The Lyr outputs that at 32ohm, considerably less at 300ohm.

My SA-31 however feeds it about 1.4watts at 300ohm. :wink: 10watts+ for the HE-400. :D

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #599 of 963
Yeah yeah, only at 32ohm, but STILL they have a ton of power.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #600 of 963
Quote:

So get an HD600/HD650, a Bifrost, a Lyr and call it a day. Just go all out. It's what I did. You just... have to save for a while 
biggrin.gif

And uh, the HD600s and HD650s have the best mids I've ever heard in my life. The HD650s make vocals incredibly real... it's what they're amazing at. They're warm sounding but more on the neutral side of warm. They have a really nice midbass punch and they go fairly low, but the COPs beat them at quantity and they go a bit lower as well. The downside to the HD650s is that you do need a good amplifier for them, I don't care what some people say. They just gulp that 6W per channel from the Lyr. It's the most pleasing combo I've heard to date, after having HD600s (great), DT880s (great), KSC75s (amazing for price) Momentums (good), HE400s (pretty good but just couldn't love them due to a few flaws), COPs (not bad) and HD280s (had em for 4 years). This combo is just effortless... it's beautiful.

So no, I don't think Sennheiser is known for hot treble or tinny mids. Actually quite the opposite in most situations. I find all of their headphones to have a nice warm sound to them. I think you just really need a decent amp for them to sound their best.

That's good to hear... stupid cheap Senn cans why you SUCK SO BAD lol

I'll still stick beside Byer over Senn just because I like the house sound. But :3 I may get a Senn can... after I get the iGrado dt 770 Pro 80, 990 Pro 250, 880 Prem 600 He 400 & HE 500 and a nice big ole Tube :D

Plus Senn Hesier cans are ugly <3 [just coming up with every excuse I can not to get em xD] but don't worry... one day I'll own a pair

Although I don't get why my Hifiman Hm 601 [line out] and cMoy gave teh HD 280's sound a bad sound... the Hifiman is a Warm DAC, and the cMoy OPA2227 is a open Lush sounding amp. Gives nice mids to the Dt 880s, I discovered two of my FAVORITE albums with that combo [thanks to mids] Mushishi OST and Linda Perhacs Parallelograms [Her Voice is like Ear Gasmic Mind Sex R@P3...] both of those have MAGICAL mids on my cMoy Dt880 Hifiman Hm 601 combo... so I don't get why the HD280 crapped out such bad Mids...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back